Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Office for Mac to Come Next Spring, Office for iOS Not Arriving Until Fall 2014?

ZDNet has shared a roadmap it received from a source who claims it is the timetable for Microsoft's plans for both the Mac and iOS versions of Office.

The map says a new version of Office for Mac will arrive in April 2014, while the long rumored Microsoft Office for iOS and Android will arrive next Autumn, in October 2014.
Quote:
I do not know how old this purported roadmap is, but my contact indicated it was likely current as of the start of 2013. I asked Microsoft Office officials for comment on the alleged roadmap, but they declined to do so.
The most recent report, from this past December, suggested that Apple and Microsoft were in negotiations over revenue share as part of Microsoft's Office 365 subscription service that launched in January. Apple wants the standard 70/30 split in revenue that is part of its developer license agreement for every developer.

Microsoft itself has leaked references to Office Mobile for iPhone, Excel for iPad, and PowerPoint for iPad, making clear that Microsoft does have iOS versions in the works.

Article Link: New Office for Mac to Come Next Spring, Office for iOS Not Arriving Until Fall 2014?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

can't wait! i actually like ms office, but not their subscription service...
locoboi187 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

It seems like it would be hard to get Office into an iPad App.. It must be for review purposes mostly. How often do you use Numbers or Pages on you iPad?
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

2014 for iOS? Boy it's taking them a really long time. It should have been released a long time ago.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
notjustjay
macrumors 603

2014? Wow, that's only seven years later after the iPhone was introduced...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
gfeen
macrumors newbie

I want an updated iWork!!!
gfeen is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502a

I won't be upgrading. Outlook 2011 was borked out of the gate and MicroSlop refused to fix it. I'll stick with iWork.
Bending Pixels is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:19 PM   #8
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
It seems like it would be hard to get Office into an iPad App.. It must be for review purposes mostly. How often do you use Numbers or Pages on you iPad?
I use Pages on a regular basis on my iPad. If Apple can do it, so can Microsoft. It doesn't have to be 100% functional.
TimUSCA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:20 PM   #9
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Office is becoming irrelevant. The iPad has flourished despite not having MS Office and that's an encouraging sign. The days of Microsoft software being a "must have" for success are over.

Today people just care about having some sort of import/export capability and are comfortable with non Microsoft solutions.
nuckinfutz is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Philsy
macrumors 6502a

Question is, when will Apple be good enough to give us an updated iWork?

And, yes, I do use it on my iPad.
Philsy is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Sky Blue

I hope Outlook is actually a usable enterprise application this time.
Sky Blue is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:22 PM   #12
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

I hope it finally has Version support....and gestures.....and generally works with my OS.
cmChimera is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187 View Post
can't wait! i actually like ms office, but not their subscription service...
Office 365 is Mac Office 2011; basically just a different way to pay for it. At least for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
2014? Wow, that's only seven years later after the iPhone was introduced...
Why, pray tell, would someone be editing an Office doc on an iPhone? iPad I see, iPhone not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
I won't be upgrading. Outlook 2011 was borked out of the gate and MicroSlop refused to fix it. I'll stick with iWork.
Any more details? We're looking at switching to Outlook 2011 for calendaring compatibility...
smithrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:22 PM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G5

Surface shows some talented touch UI work. If the extra time means they're rethinking the experience to make it truly touch-centric and user-friendly (in a way Office never has been, including on Surface), it could be worth the wait. Plus they probably want the new re-thinking (if any) to show up on Surface first.

(I'm imagining something like what Adobe did with Photoshop. They reorganized and rethought the same features--well, a lot of them--and ended up with something better than a "port.")
nagromme is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Sky Blue

Notification Center support for Outlook/Lync would be nice too.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:23 PM   #16
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsy View Post

iOS 7. They usually always have big updates to all their apps when a new iOS is released.
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:23 PM   #17
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

For personal users Office is already not necessary on a Mac. Sure some students and business types still need it, but for a pretty large chunk of folks iWork or any of the open source programs will work just fine.

And they are just embarrassing themselves at this point with Office for iOS. MS just needs to come out and say they don't want to release it because at this point that is the only possible explanation for why it isn't already out.
ugahairydawgs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsy View Post

1st June 4102.
Saladinos is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:24 PM   #19
scotty321
macrumors regular

And crickets chirped.

In the meantime, we breathlessly await Apple's next move... have they completely abandoned iWork altogether?
scotty321 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:24 PM   #20
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Why, pray tell, would someone be editing an Office doc on an iPhone? iPad I see, iPhone not so much.
I have a fairly simple spreadsheet that I update via Numbers on my iPhone all the time.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:25 PM   #21
kdum8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I use both regularly to run my business. They do (almost) everything I need so I don't even require MS Office anymore. I just wish that Apple would improve compatibility between the mac and iOS versions of iWork.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:25 PM   #22
RHutch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I use Numbers on my iPad every day, for tracking vehicle mileage for business purposes and for keeping track of some bowling records. (Both would be better done with FileMaker Go, but Numbers works.) I don't have pages for iOS yet, but will probably get it soon.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:25 PM   #23
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Key View Post
2014 for iOS? Boy it's taking them a really long time. It should have been released a long time ago.
It's funny you should say that, I met with some MS reps in the fall of 2010 and they hinted that Office for iPad was under development, or at least being strongly considered at that time. 2014??? They don't move too swiftly, do they?
gatearray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:26 PM   #24
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
And crickets chirped.

In the meantime, we breathlessly await Apple's next move... have they completely abandoned iWork altogether?
They just updated it back in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
I use both regularly to run my business. They do (almost) everything I need so I don't even require MS Office anymore. I just wish that Apple would improve compatibility between the mac and iOS versions of iWork.
Amen
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not only could it be fully functional but perhaps even better than the desktop versions.

But it'll never happen because the type of people who work for a company like M$ are only there to collect a fat paycheck. They prove it year after year with their fail-safe "compromise until the product is embarassingly awful" business model.
Mr Fusion is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion