Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Hi,
I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. What is the easiest way to setup my Time capsule with a new modem? I will be using wifi with the time capsule. I just got a new modem and the time capsule keeps flashing a amber light. It was working off wifi before I got the new modem.

Thanks, Jerry

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
First off is the modem configured as a router, or just as a modem? You may not know the answer but if you look up the brand & model number of your modem we can make an educated guess on that.

In a nutshell, your Time Capsule can be configured as a router, or as just a wifi access point. You must have a router on your network, but ideally you only want one - so if your modem is also a router, you should enable the router feature only on one of them (the modem or the TC). On the TC that's done on the Network tab of the AirPort utility, set Router Mode typically to "DHCP and NAT" (to use it as a router) or "Off (Bridge Mode)" if your modem will be your router.

The other thing to check is the Internet tab in the AirPort utility, normally you set Connect Using to "DHCP" but there can be exceptions.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try unplugging your modem and airport (time capsule) for about 30 seconds, hopefully that should sort everything out.

if that doesn't work, go into airport utility open the internet tab, what does the "connect using" option say.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
try unplugging your modem and airport (time capsule) for about 30 seconds, hopefully that should sort everything out.

if that doesn't work, go into airport utility open the internet tab, what does the "connect using" option say.

It says connected
router address
DNS servers
domain name
Is this what your asking me? Sorry mostly new to a iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.