Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Verizon CEO Claims He Convinced Steve Jobs to Add LTE to iPhone

Fierce Wireless reports that while discussing Verizon's LTE investment at the National Association of Broadcasters conference yesterday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam claimed that he convinced Steve Jobs to add LTE to the iPhone.
Quote:
"I was really trying to sell him and he sat there without any reaction. Finally, he said, 'Enough. You had me at 10 Mbps. I know you can stream video at 10 Mbps.' And Apple's next phone was LTE," McAdam said.
McAdam did not indicate the timing of his conversation with Jobs or whether he was CEO at the time, but he was appointed Verizon CEO in August 2011. The next iPhone released was the iPhone 4S, which did not include LTE.

In April 2011, Tim Cook had said that LTE chipsets at that point in time forced Apple to make design compromises the company wasn't willing to make. Two of those design compromises were likely battery life, as LTE chipsets consumed a lot of power at the time, and size, as the need for multiple chips required more space than Apple was willing to dedicate inside the device.

Months later, in August 2011, it was reported that Apple was testing an LTE-enabled iPhone and was hiring additional LTE engineers with the first LTE iPhone arriving as the iPhone 5 in September 2012.

At yesterday's session, McAdam also claimed that half of wireless data traffic is now video, predicting that two-thirds of Verizon's network capacity will be used for video by 2017.

Article Link: Verizon CEO Claims He Convinced Steve Jobs to Add LTE to iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

in a way, Steve convinced Verizon to convince Steve to add LTE to iPhone.

komodrone is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Radio
In Time-Out

It's amazing what you can claim when your only source is 6 feet under.
Radio is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4
daneoni
macrumors G4

Thumb resize.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post

lmao awesome
xD
Z400Racer37 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
gatearray
macrumors 65816

wow, thanks Verizon d-bag! you're such a visionary, if it wasn't for you, Steve was going to insist on sticking with EDGE.
gatearray is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:09 PM   #7
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

...Because it couldn't be a combination of all the carriers that caused the iPhone 5 to be LTE...
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:12 PM   #8
SILen(e
macrumors regular

Apple never said that no iPhone ever would get LTE - why the iPhone 4/4S had no LTE was because of the chipsets required for LTE at that time, which had a very high power drain (i remember a review of some HTC LTE device which drained the battery while navigating with LTE - while plugged in to a car charger!).

It was obvious that at some time this problem would be solved - et voila - iPhone 5!
SILen(e is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:14 PM   #9
John.B
macrumors 68040

Yeah, the Qualcomm MDM9615M chip had nothing to do with it...

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:20 PM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Next: Lowell McAdam will claim that the iPhone was really his idea. And he convinced Steve to sell it on AT&T first to convince AT&T to get rid of unlimited data, thereby giving Verizon no choice but to follow suit.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Matthew567
macrumors newbie

So when did these discussions take place? The day of Steve Jobs' death? As it says in the article the iPhone 4S did not include LTE, and Steve Jobs died the day after the iPhone 4S launch. It doesn't seem right because it says "And Apple's next phone was LTE." Presumably the discussions occurred when the iPhone 4 was current.
Matthew567 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
nagromme
macrumors G4

I always wondered where the idea came from to have mobile phones use mobile technology! Now we know!
nagromme is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:24 AM   #13
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
It's amazing what you can claim when your only source is 6 feet under.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
wow, thanks Verizon d-bag! you're such a visionary, if it wasn't for you, Steve was going to insist on sticking with EDGE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Yeah, the Qualcomm MDM9615M chip had nothing to do with it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Next: Lowell McAdam will claim that the iPhone was really his idea. And he convinced Steve to sell it on AT&T first to convince AT&T to get rid of unlimited data, thereby giving Verizon no choice but to follow suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew567 View Post
So when did these discussions take place? The day of Steve Jobs' death? As it says in the article the iPhone 4S did not include LTE, and Steve Jobs died the day after the iPhone 4S launch. It doesn't seem right because it says "And Apple's next phone was LTE." Presumably the discussions occurred when the iPhone 4 was current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I always wondered where the idea came from to have mobile phones use mobile technology! Now we know!
Color me a (huge) sceptic too.
macs4nw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:40 AM   #14
mariusaz
macrumors member

I essentially have no use for it considering how much battery it uses and the fact that I can't tether a machine to it unless I switch off the unlimited data on AT&T and pay some BS convenience fee for it.
mariusaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:10 AM   #15
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Color me a (huge) sceptic too.
I have to agree here too. Sounds like this Verizon CEO is talking BS out of his ass here.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:00 AM   #16
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Lol. "Of course he did."
Bako-MacAddict is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:17 AM   #17
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
haha sure he did
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:54 AM   #18
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Lowell McAdam is a true visionary.
TheRainKing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:45 AM   #19
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Right.....
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:48 AM   #20
Jayse
macrumors regular

Give that guy a medal. I really deserves it! /sarcasm
Jayse is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:38 AM   #21
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew567 View Post
Yeah because adding LTE to iPhone 5 was not decided years ago from release.
iBug2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:49 AM   #22
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Sure, the CEO of the worst phone company that I know of, convinced a man who was known to see that bigger picture to add a feature to the iPhone.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:10 AM   #23
MacDav
Banned

Well, I for one totally believe McAdams... Apple would never have added LTE to iPhone without his input.
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:50 AM   #24
inlinevolvo
Banned

I don't think he is taking credit for LTE iphone but we all know apple was hesitant to switch until the technology could at least walk on 2 feet. I think his role was one of convincing Steve that the technology had matured enough for Apple to jump on board.

Verizon is the biggest US carrier and they were the ones first approached by Apple for the iphone. In other words, they carry some weight and credibility in the industry. After all the iphone is as good as the network it is on.

----------

Quote:

Haha, very good. Post of the day!
inlinevolvo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:06 AM   #25
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
Apple offered the original iPhone to Verizon, but they turned it down because of Apple's insistence on control of the device for updates, the need for visual voicemail, and the lack of carrier branding on the device.

So Apple went to Cingular, which became AT&T by the time the phone was released.

Verizon came crawling to Apple by the time they realized their mistake.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion