Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Alleged Parts for Upcoming iPhone Leak Again, Mute Switch to Become Push Button?

Several weeks ago, photos of a pair of parts alleged to be from the iPhone 5S surfaced through a Japanese parts vendor. The parts included a flex cable for the device's home button and a second flex cable housing the vibrator and volume/mute controls.

Another Japanese parts vendor, iLab Factory, has now posted a new set of photos showing not only those two parts but also a third flex cable that appears to house the device's front camera. iLab Factory points out that these parts may be from the iPhone 5S but could alternatively be from Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone.

Vibrator/audio control flex cable for iPhone 5S or lower-cost iPhone
One interesting item of note that we neglected to point out in our previous report relates to the vibrator/volume control flex cable. The part contains a strip of three buttons to run along the edge of the device, corresponding to the locations of the two volume buttons and the mute switch on previous iPhone models. But on this part, all three features appear to be buttons, suggesting that this upcoming iPhone may see the mute switch become a push button.

iPhone 5 audio control cable with mute switch boxed in red (Source: iFixit)
iLab Factory also notes that the vibrator in this part uses a dual-head design, which is distinct from the iPhone 5 vibrator design, although it is unclear what may have prompted the change.

The other two parts shared by iLab Factory reveal little information, with the home button flex cable appearing essentially identical to the previously seen part except for a part number change from 821-1684-01 to 821-1684-02. These parts do, however, contain a significantly longer cable than seen on the corresponding iPhone 5 part.

The layout of the front camera flex cable is nearly identical to the corresponding iPhone 5 part, although this leaked part is missing the microphone and other sensors seen on the iPhone 5 part offered by iFixit.

Article Link: Alleged Parts for Upcoming iPhone Leak Again, Mute Switch to Become Push Button?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Why?? Nothing is wrong with the toggle.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

Haven't seen a leaked part rumor like this in a while...

Nice to see that production is underway.
SamGabbay is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:48 AM   #4
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Why?? Nothing is wrong with the toggle.
I think a toggle is BETTER than a button - not as easily pressed accidently. Plus, I can see the little orange color easier on a toggle to know that it's in silent/vibrate mode.

Of course, you'll get the snarky Samsung commercials about all the Apple fans waiting in line for a 'button instead of a toggle', and the Samsung sheep will eat it up.
bbeagle is online now   32 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
boshii
macrumors 68040

Maybe it will be too thin for a toggle.
boshii is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Since the iPhone 4, the silent switch has been really sturdy, I would hope it wouldn't become a button, because I imagine it would require some long press or need the screen on to trigger so it doesn't accidentally get triggered in your pocket. Not as easy as just flipping a switch, and it's one of those little things that the iPhone has that no other smartphone I've used has that's really convenient.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
newdeal
macrumors 68000

its likely a dedicated camera shutter button and the silent switch will be moved
newdeal is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #8
reden
macrumors 6502

partrumors.com
reden is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:50 AM   #9
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

I'll be surprised to see any design changes to the 5S, including an alteration to the mute switch. But that's not to say it won't happen.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:51 AM   #10
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

I'm hoping the "Significantly longer cable" statement points to a larger screen...
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:54 AM   #11
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
Maybe it will be too thin for a toggle.
If its a iPhone 5s it would have the same case as the 5
goobot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I hate the toggle. Nice to see it finally gone if it is. I like that it's there on the outside, but it's the part that gets the most wear and tear on my devices.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:58 AM   #13
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

So, about 4 to 6 weeks for assembly to start? Seems to be the trend of when internal parts are seen to when produced.

Then another 2 weeks to go on sale.

more or less.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:58 AM   #14
spykthomas
macrumors member

Teehee.... Dual-head vibrator...

Immaturity over...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:59 AM   #15
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

a redesign iphone 5 case probably with this new vibrator. hopefully with bigger screen
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Porco
macrumors 68000

I think it would make more sense for it to be a play/pause/next track control, like you get on headphone remotes.

The iPhone and iPod Touch have always been a great iPod in most respects, but the classic scrollwheel designs had the advantage of being really controllable in your pocket without even looking at the screen. In either shuffle mode or a playlist, the ability to skip tracks, pause and play without looking at the screen is something that's been lacking unless you use headphones with an inline remote.

I think messing with the mute switch would be a silly mistake, it functions perfectly.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:06 AM   #17
JGRE
macrumors 6502

There are two things I don't like about the iPhone:

1. two buttons for volume, which are impossible to locate (at least the one you are looking for) without looking or in the dark
2. The mute swith which has to be pushed in the opposite direction as the length of the iPhone itself.

So a push switch to mute would be welcome, now the volume buttons integrated in one switch please.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
I think a toggle is BETTER than a button - not as easily pressed accidently. Plus, I can see the little orange color easier on a toggle to know that it's in silent/vibrate mode.

Of course, you'll get the snarky Samsung commercials about all the Apple fans waiting in line for a 'button instead of a toggle', and the Samsung sheep will eat it up.
Have never pushed one of the volume buttons incidently......
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #18
KdParker
macrumors 68030

It sure would be awesome if the 5s was skipped and a nice redesign was released next.
KdParker is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:08 AM   #19
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
its likely a dedicated camera shutter button and the silent switch will be moved
One volume/mute botton in total can also do the job.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:09 AM   #20
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post

How often do you accidently press the other buttons? I personally never accidently press any hardware buttons.

Also... Thanks for bringing Samsung into an article totally unrelated to Samsung.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, the black model will be more scratch-resistant. Else, I'll go with the white 5S.
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:10 AM   #22
lokey
macrumors member

An on/off toggle switch gives you 2 options, and only 2 options.
A push button potentially allows you to toggle through multiple options or "profiles". With the right implentation this is an improvement.

Think about it.
lokey is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:10 AM   #23
aajeevlin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
I'll be surprised to see any design changes to the 5S, including an alteration to the mute switch. But that's not to say it won't happen.
Looking at the past, I totally agree with you. But giving that the general public's taste for smartphone have changed quite bit a few over the last few years and most people are becoming more techno craze I think Apple should switch to a half year update cycle. This could Apple put on part with the rest of the companies and to stimulate people to switch.
aajeevlin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:11 AM   #24
needfx
macrumors 68020

nope, we can't have that
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:11 AM   #25
Prosammer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Love using this pic every year for parts leaks