Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

"Those responding to the survey liked the way that the Korean manufacturer's devices were compatible with other standards and brands, including accessories and devices. Those surveyed also liked the ease of transferring files on the Samsung devices...

It should be pointed out that Samsung is a client of Siegel+Gale while Apple is not."

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
So does this mean Galaxy devices are for old people and little kids that don't want to do anything other than check FB/Twitter, text their grandkids, etc. and all the other snarky-ass comments people tend to make about iPhones and why people like them?

:p

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
I think coming from a dumb phone I'd agree. Its basically a USB drive with a phone app. You use what other services you need on top of that.

Iphones on the other hand require a steeper initial learning curve I'd say with the concept of syncing iTunes and the Icloud.

The interface is the more simpler thing on the iphones But to benefit from the phone you ideally want to connect it up to the other complimentary and proprietary software which is not as straightforward IMO.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iOS is so simple it's actually more difficult to use. The competition has figured out how to do most of the same things faster and easier.

I can't tell you how many times I think the back button is upper left where it usually is only to discover its upper right this time.

Or navigating through the iOS settings menu. What a chore. What a mess.

Lack of dedicated menu button in apps.

Inability to queue. Having to scroll ceaselessly to get to a bottom of a page (boy I hate hitting the link for the previous page in forum threads then having to scroll all the way down just to see what the last post was on that given page). Turning on and off private browsing. Etc.

There are so many examples. So many...

iOS is an operating system that reeks of limitations. Everything is so manual. Requiring jumping through hoops to accomplish.

People keep calling these different ways of doing things "preferences". You can make that argument all you want. One way is slower and harder while the competition is offering easier ways to do most things.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think it depends on the task you are trying to accomplish and how you have the phone set up to accomplish those tasks.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think it depends on the task you are trying to accomplish and how you have the phone set up to accomplish those tasks.

It sure does. But there are only so many ways iOS allows you to do certain tasks. In some cases there's only one way. In some cases there are no ways (I'm looking at you personal dictionary). I find this is the case far more times with iOS than with android.

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
iOS is so simple it's actually more difficult to use. The competition has figured out how to do most of the same things faster and easier.

I can't tell you how many times I think the back button is upper left where it usually is only to discover its upper right this time.

Inability to queue. Having to scroll ceaselessly to get to a bottom of a page (boy I hate hitting the link for the previous page in forum threads then having to scroll all the way down just to see what the last post was on that given page). Turning on and off private browsing. Etc.

iOS is an operating system that reeks of limitations. Everything is so manual. Requiring jumping through hoops to accomplish.

People keep calling these different ways of doing things "preferences". You can make that argument all you want. One way is slower and harder while the competition is offering easier ways to do most things.

For me was the problem of encoding videos for playback already on the PC and downloading multiple programs trying to find the right one to convert files that are a simple matter of drag and drop on android devices.

That's the main problem I have with iOS the loops you have to go through to avoid using apples proprietary services.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It sure does. But there are only so many ways iOS allows you to do certain tasks. In some cases there's only one way. In some cases there are no ways (I'm looking at you personal dictionary). I find this is the case far more times with iOS than with android.

I agree. There are some compromises you need to make to use iOS, be it not do certain things or buy expensive proprietary cables/device to use certain functions. But generally I don't have a problem. I'm about fed up with Android as much as I am with iOS. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I agree. There are some compromises you need to make to use iOS, be it not do certain things or buy expensive proprietary cables/device to use certain functions. But generally I don't have a problem. I'm about fed up with Android as much as I am with iOS. :)

I feel ya. Android has a handful of its own shortcomings.

Y'all will likely hear plenty when I get my hands on the One. :p

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Everyone's usage pattern is different. Most folks don't need to spend a lot of time in the Settings app, so the "chore" you say it is to get around it is really of no consequence.

The back button thing I guess I'm just too much of a rube to care about. I know where it's at in Safari. I know where it's at in email and messages. I know where its at pretty much everywhere and at the times I don't I can just stare at the slab of screen I'm holding in my hand and find it (its only going to be in one of two places.....so I doesn't take very long).

You don't have to scroll to get to the bottom of a page in Android?

Your last paragraph went like this.

What it should have said was this.

People keep calling these different ways of doing things "preferences". You can make that argument all you want. One way is slower and harder for me while the competition is offering, in my opinion, easier ways to do most things.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
A classic iOS failure is when you open a link in an email (an everyday task) then want to return to your emails.

Having to return home and open emails again is the most illogical system going. Also illogical is double-tapping the home button and getting emails back that way. How would anyone devoid of technoligcal nouse work that out?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
A classic iOS failure is when you open a link in an email (an everyday task) then want to return to your emails.

Having to return home and open emails again is the most illogical system going. Also illogical is double-tapping the home button and getting emails back that way. How would anyone devoid of technoligcal nouse work that out?

How else do you get back to it if you don't go through the home screen or the multitask dock?

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

How does this work on your computer? When reading email in one application and launching a link in another, how are you expecting to get back to the mail app? So it isn't just a classic iOS failure, it's a classic Mac and Windows failure as you may suggest :rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
How does this work on your computer? When reading email in one application and launching a link in another, how are you expecting to get back to the mail app? So it isn't just a classic iOS failure, it's a classic Mac and Windows failure as you may suggest :rolleyes:

Your comparing windows on a PC & Mac desktop to apps that are full screen on a phone? Bad example.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nope, works with links in any apps such as Facebook, Twitter etc. Click the back button and takes you back to where you was prior to clicking the link.

But.... What if you opened the email in one room and when you clicked the link that opened in the browser you were walking into another, when you click back do you end up back in the previous room too? :confused:

that would be awesome ;) :D.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Gotcha. So does that only work that way when jumped over from a linked email?

The concept is very simple. It applies everywhere (unless the active app intercepts the back button event). The back button navigates based on the order of currently open stacked forms/activities of multi-tasking apps (note: an app can open multiple forms).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.