Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Mounting Network Home in Dock through Workgroup Manager

Hello, I am currently running workgroup manager on 10.6.8 Server. I have 10.7 clients, and I would like to add their network home folder to the dock. Within workgroup manager dock preferences, I have checked the box for Add other folders: Network Home. When a user signs in, the network home is on the dock, but shows up as a question mark, and does not respond at all when clicked. Nothing appears from the icon, and no dialogue boxes appear. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is there something simple I am missing here?
VinceHunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:42 AM   #2
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Login to the client, mount the network share containing their home folder, open preferences, go to users, go to startup items, drag in the share folder, tick the hide option and save.

Now when they login the share will mount and the shortcut on the dock will resolve correctly.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
Login to the client, mount the network share containing their home folder, open preferences, go to users, go to startup items, drag in the share folder, tick the hide option and save.

Now when they login the share will mount and the shortcut on the dock will resolve correctly.
I can do that with no problem, but this is for about 700 machines, all of which are shared use. So it's not really feasible to be able to do that on all machines for all users. Any other ideas?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceHunter View Post
I can do that with no problem, but this is for about 700 machines, all of which are shared use. So it's not really feasible to be able to do that on all machines for all users. Any other ideas?
Only had to do that when connecting different versions. Will ask my colleagues if they have come up against this.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:41 AM   #5
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
I do this where I work...

The share is added to the dock by Managed Prefs in Workgroup Manager. And it can be very finicky. Make sure Kerberos is working properly on your server. Additionally, ensure that a reliable network connection is available before logging in. If both of these things work, double-clicking the question mark in the dock *should* work fine.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:23 AM   #6
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLC View Post
I do this where I work...

The share is added to the dock by Managed Prefs in Workgroup Manager. And it can be very finicky. Make sure Kerberos is working properly on your server. Additionally, ensure that a reliable network connection is available before logging in. If both of these things work, double-clicking the question mark in the dock *should* work fine.
There doesn't appear to be any issue with Kerberos on the server, and the network connection is reliable. From the finder menu, I can select Go>Connect to server and manually connect to the server and mount the home directory, so it looks like all of that is set up correctly. Getting that home directory to auto-mount, however, I can't get to work. Still just a question mark, that is unresponsive when clicked.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
I should also mention that for some reason, we've had to move away from using the server's domain name to connect. Automatic connections will only work for us via IP address. Maybe try that?

(And before anyone asks yes I've checked DNS, and yes the domain DOES resolve to the IP. Yet automounts that reference the domain do not work.)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I should also mention that for some reason, we've had to move away from using the server's domain name to connect. Automatic connections will only work for us via IP address. Maybe try that?
And how would I go about making that change? I am using workgroup manager to automount the users home directories on their dock.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9
DJLC
macrumors 6502

I *think* you'd have to rebind the Mac to the server via IP address rather than domain... not exactly the fix you were looking for, I know. I was able to deploy it when we reimaged over winter break.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I *think* you'd have to rebind the Mac to the server via IP address rather than domain... not exactly the fix you were looking for, I know. I was able to deploy it when we reimaged over winter break.
Well, I unbound a machine and rebound it to our Open Directory server using the IP address. Still no luck, the problem persists.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:23 PM   #11
matspekkie
macrumors member

What version of workgroup-manager are you using?
matspekkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:35 PM   #12
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matspekkie View Post
What version of workgroup-manager are you using?
Workgroup Manager Version 10.6.3 on a Snow Leopard Server running 10.6.8.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:56 AM   #13
VinceHunter
macrumors newbie

Any other ideas?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking