Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cottonjenn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
I have the iPad Mini which I love. In talking to my niece, she said she has a Kindle (not the Fire) because you cannot read outside with the iPad, too much glare and you cannot see the screen. I looked in the Apple Store for glare sheets or something and didn't see anything. Does anyone know if there is something to be used so one can read outside? It's not a total biggy for me even though I like to read out on my deck. So if anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple doesn't sell them, but you can search online for anti-glare screen protectors. But I'd first try turning brightness all the way up when reading outside. Also, try to sit in a shade.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's not possible. You could turn the brightness up, but it's the sunlight that is the main issue. You get more visibility when its overcast or cloudy.

The displays used in tablets just aren't there yet.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
It's not possible. You could turn the brightness up, but it's the sunlight that is the main issue. You get more visibility when its overcast or cloudy.

The displays used in tablets just aren't there yet.

Come to the UK and you can read on your iPad outdoors. We don't have sunshine.

To be serious, it's difficult. That's why I have a Kobo Touch for reading outdoors.

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
Funny i dont have that big trouble using my iPad3 when it's sunny.

Turn op the brightness, remove "auto adjust" and it should help a lot. Your looking for antiglare film, if you cant find any precut, buy some and cut it yourself? :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Funny i dont have that big trouble using my iPad3 when it's sunny.

Turn op the brightness, remove "auto adjust" and it should help a lot. Your looking for antiglare film, if you cant find any precut, buy some and cut it yourself? :)

You live in Denmark though, we're in the US where the sunshine is very, very hard to the point that our screens are completely unusable. Turn the brightness completely down, and then take it even 50% darker, and that is pretty much how our screens look like in the sunlight with the screen at 100% with the auto adjust turned off.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
yep, ipad, iphone, ipod, don't have the greatest visibility in bright sunlight. if you read a lot, especially in the sun, buy a cheap (older) kindle.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You live in Denmark though, we're in the US where the sunshine is very, very hard to the point that our screens are completely unusable. Turn the brightness completely down, and then take it even 50% darker, and that is pretty much how our screens look like in the sunlight with the screen at 100% with the auto adjust turned off.

Hey, US is bigger than Texas! :D Here in NY, it's possible to read outside on the iPad for most of the year, except for the mid-summer months.

cottonjenn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Thanks everyone. Like I said it's not a total biggy cause I'm in NJ so I only have a few months to be concerned about it. Will try the brightness and will look at anti glare sheets. Thinking of trying baggies or sheet protectors or sunglasses. Will play around.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks everyone. Like I said it's not a total biggy cause I'm in NJ so I only have a few months to be concerned about it. Will try the brightness and will look at anti glare sheets. Thinking of trying baggies or sheet protectors or sunglasses. Will play around.

Sounds good, an anti-glare screen should definitely help. I put one on my iPhone 4 a while back for my summer job and it really helped me see it on sunny days.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

sunglasses can do weird things to screens. My iPhone 4S looks totally weird with sunglasses on - the colors go nuts.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1

Hey, US is bigger than Texas! :D Here in NY, it's possible to read outside on the iPad for most of the year, except for the mid-summer months.

Geographically, Denmark is almost as far north as Anchorage, Alaska and it's to the north of Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). This may not necessarily affect the climate, but I'm sure it does affect the sunlight conditions throughout the year.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
sunglasses can do weird things to screens. My iPhone 4S looks totally weird with sunglasses on - the colors go nuts.

Yup, that's because your glasses are polarized. Non-polarized glasses won't have this effect.

I rarely use my iPad outside, actually. My Kindle works well for visibility outdoors, but since I live in a small apartment, I don't do a lot of outdoor reading.

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark

Well the sun is pretty harsh when it's at it top in DK. And yes it aint super crisp and easy to see the screen, but it helps a lot with what I said. Maybe I just got super eyes or something..

But have you tried with antiglare film?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well the sun is pretty harsh when it's at it top in DK. And yes it aint super crisp and easy to see the screen, but it helps a lot with what I said. Maybe I just got super eyes or something..

But have you tried with antiglare film?

No, because like I said, it isn't visible period. Antiglare takes off glare, but it won't fix the fact that there's a huge ball of yellow/orange hanging behind you.

Example:

iPad_Kindle2_sun.jpg

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Not only does harsh sun light make the iPad unreadable, it will also overheat in the sun. I had mine shut down while trying to use it out on the ramp in Texas during August.

I own both a Kindle and an iPad. I have had a Kindle longer, before there even was an iPad. To be honest, if I had to give up one it would be the iPad even though it is the "multi-purpose" device. Single use devices are just unbeatable for what they do.

Mike Armstrong

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
Looks like it only works in landscape? What if we want to use the iPad in portrait?

Thank you for your question Night Spring.

Our first Hoodi shade - the Hoodi convertible™ - is designed to work with the iPad and iPad mini in landscape mode; a single design that works in both landscape and portrait mode was untenable.

We have created a Hoodi shade that is designed to work in portrait mode, which we call the Hoodi coupe™. It just so happens that my colleagues were at our manufacturer today looking over prototypes for the Hoodi coupe, and what I can tell you right now is that it will showcase an innovative solution.

Mike

Last edited:

petersedd

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2015
A great accessory for using the iPad outdoors

I have the iPad Mini which I love. In talking to my niece, she said she has a Kindle (not the Fire) because you cannot read outside with the iPad, too much glare and you cannot see the screen. I looked in the Apple Store for glare sheets or something and didn't see anything. Does anyone know if there is something to be used so one can read outside? It's not a total biggy for me even though I like to read out on my deck. So if anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it.

I found this after I tried to watch a movie on the beach and my iPad basically turned into a mirror. It's great for keeping the sun off the screen and works really well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UDFY89Q

They have it for macs too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U5Z2AJE

FrancesTN

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2017
A great accessory for using the iPad outdoors

I found this after I tried to watch a movie on the beach and my iPad basically turned into a mirror. It's great for keeping the sun off the screen and works really well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UDFY89Q

They have it for macs too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U5Z2AJE
[doublepost=1523473359][/doublepost]I sat in the sunny patio, put a 5 gal dark green trash box on my lap, held the iPod within expecting to be able to read my book. Forget it. The ordinary shade doesn't help at all. Cranking up the light most certainly did make it readable, but in about 10 minutes the battery announced it was almost out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.