Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
cottonjenn
macrumors member

Can't read outside with iPad/Mini

I have the iPad Mini which I love. In talking to my niece, she said she has a Kindle (not the Fire) because you cannot read outside with the iPad, too much glare and you cannot see the screen. I looked in the Apple Store for glare sheets or something and didn't see anything. Does anyone know if there is something to be used so one can read outside? It's not a total biggy for me even though I like to read out on my deck. So if anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it.
cottonjenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Apple doesn't sell them, but you can search online for anti-glare screen protectors. But I'd first try turning brightness all the way up when reading outside. Also, try to sit in a shade.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

It's not possible. You could turn the brightness up, but it's the sunlight that is the main issue. You get more visibility when its overcast or cloudy.

The displays used in tablets just aren't there yet.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Stewart21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's not possible. You could turn the brightness up, but it's the sunlight that is the main issue. You get more visibility when its overcast or cloudy.

The displays used in tablets just aren't there yet.
Come to the UK and you can read on your iPad outdoors. We don't have sunshine.

To be serious, it's difficult. That's why I have a Kobo Touch for reading outdoors.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
auhagen
macrumors member

Funny i dont have that big trouble using my iPad3 when it's sunny.

Turn op the brightness, remove "auto adjust" and it should help a lot. Your looking for antiglare film, if you cant find any precut, buy some and cut it yourself?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by auhagen View Post
Funny i dont have that big trouble using my iPad3 when it's sunny.

Turn op the brightness, remove "auto adjust" and it should help a lot. Your looking for antiglare film, if you cant find any precut, buy some and cut it yourself?
You live in Denmark though, we're in the US where the sunshine is very, very hard to the point that our screens are completely unusable. Turn the brightness completely down, and then take it even 50% darker, and that is pretty much how our screens look like in the sunlight with the screen at 100% with the auto adjust turned off.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

yep, ipad, iphone, ipod, don't have the greatest visibility in bright sunlight. if you read a lot, especially in the sun, buy a cheap (older) kindle.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
You live in Denmark though, we're in the US where the sunshine is very, very hard to the point that our screens are completely unusable. Turn the brightness completely down, and then take it even 50% darker, and that is pretty much how our screens look like in the sunlight with the screen at 100% with the auto adjust turned off.
Hey, US is bigger than Texas! Here in NY, it's possible to read outside on the iPad for most of the year, except for the mid-summer months.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:12 PM   #9
cottonjenn
macrumors member

Thanks everyone. Like I said it's not a total biggy cause I'm in NJ so I only have a few months to be concerned about it. Will try the brightness and will look at anti glare sheets. Thinking of trying baggies or sheet protectors or sunglasses. Will play around.
cottonjenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:41 PM   #10
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonjenn View Post
Thanks everyone. Like I said it's not a total biggy cause I'm in NJ so I only have a few months to be concerned about it. Will try the brightness and will look at anti glare sheets. Thinking of trying baggies or sheet protectors or sunglasses. Will play around.
Sounds good, an anti-glare screen should definitely help. I put one on my iPhone 4 a while back for my summer job and it really helped me see it on sunny days.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:09 PM   #11
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

that has been the mini's shortcoming. screen is not design for outside reading. maybe you can bring an umbrella for shade ? lol...

this could be your solution: http://www.bodyguardz.com/screenguar...ipad-mini.html

http://www.boxwave.com/apple-ipad-mi...wpdd/cvg-zvwz/
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:17 PM   #12
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonjenn View Post
sunglasses can do weird things to screens. My iPhone 4S looks totally weird with sunglasses on - the colors go nuts.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:38 PM   #13
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Hey, US is bigger than Texas! Here in NY, it's possible to read outside on the iPad for most of the year, except for the mid-summer months.
Geographically, Denmark is almost as far north as Anchorage, Alaska and it's to the north of Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). This may not necessarily affect the climate, but I'm sure it does affect the sunlight conditions throughout the year.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:45 PM   #14
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
sunglasses can do weird things to screens. My iPhone 4S looks totally weird with sunglasses on - the colors go nuts.
Yup, that's because your glasses are polarized. Non-polarized glasses won't have this effect.

I rarely use my iPad outside, actually. My Kindle works well for visibility outdoors, but since I live in a small apartment, I don't do a lot of outdoor reading.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:33 AM   #15
auhagen
macrumors member

Quote:
Well the sun is pretty harsh when it's at it top in DK. And yes it aint super crisp and easy to see the screen, but it helps a lot with what I said. Maybe I just got super eyes or something..

But have you tried with antiglare film?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #16
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by auhagen View Post
Well the sun is pretty harsh when it's at it top in DK. And yes it aint super crisp and easy to see the screen, but it helps a lot with what I said. Maybe I just got super eyes or something..

But have you tried with antiglare film?
No, because like I said, it isn't visible period. Antiglare takes off glare, but it won't fix the fact that there's a huge ball of yellow/orange hanging behind you.

Example:

Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular

Or you could just carry a blanket around with you wherever you go.
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:46 PM   #18
JBazz
macrumors 6502

Not only does harsh sun light make the iPad unreadable, it will also overheat in the sun. I had mine shut down while trying to use it out on the ramp in Texas during August.

I own both a Kindle and an iPad. I have had a Kindle longer, before there even was an iPad. To be honest, if I had to give up one it would be the iPad even though it is the "multi-purpose" device. Single use devices are just unbeatable for what they do.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Mike Armstrong
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBazz View Post
Not only does harsh sun light make the iPad unreadable, it will also overheat in the sun.
Hi, my new company has created a new product that directly addresses both of these issues, and iPad privacy too:

Hoodi™ magnetic shades for the iPad® and iPad mini.

Please check our product out at:
http://www.hoodivision.com

Thank you,
Mike
Mike Armstrong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:28 PM   #20
keziapurrs
macrumors newbie

The hoodi is really cool! I just checked out your link. I may get one now that the summer months are upon us.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Mike Armstrong
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keziapurrs View Post
The hoodi is really cool! I just checked out your link. I may get one now that the summer months are upon us.
Thank you keziapurrs - we appreciate your feedback & kind words.

Mike
Old May 3, 2013, 03:18 PM   #22
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
Hoodi™ magnetic shades for the iPad® and iPad mini.

Please check our product out at:
http://www.hoodivision.com
Looks like it only works in landscape? What if we want to use the iPad in portrait?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Mike Armstrong
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Looks like it only works in landscape? What if we want to use the iPad in portrait?
Thank you for your question Night Spring.

Our first Hoodi shade - the Hoodi convertible™ - is designed to work with the iPad and iPad mini in landscape mode; a single design that works in both landscape and portrait mode was untenable.

We have created a Hoodi shade that is designed to work in portrait mode, which we call the Hoodi coupe™. It just so happens that my colleagues were at our manufacturer today looking over prototypes for the Hoodi coupe, and what I can tell you right now is that it will showcase an innovative solution.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Armstrong; May 3, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad