Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Techdy Announces 'Game D' iPad Mini Controller Case

Techdy is hoping to transform the iPad mini into a dedicated gaming device with the Game D, which is both a case and a controller for the tablet. Game D fits onto the mini like a standard Apple Smart Cover, but provides a d-pad and four action buttons designed for games.
Quote:
Game D is the project code name for a revolutionary Gaming Device specifically made for iPad mini. It is the most powerful yet the most portable gaming device ever made. It attaches to iPad mini magically as a gaming add-on or as a smart cover. It is designed for both portable gaming and arcade gaming. It is an open source gaming device. It opens up unlimited possibilities to all Gamers and Developers.
The aluminum alloy Game D case can be mounted onto the back of the iPad mini with magnets to provide a controller for handheld gaming, or set on a flat surface to be used as an arcade-style platform in both landscape and portrait modes.

At this point in time, the prototype Game D is designed to work with the games that support iCade, but an open source game developer kit will be made available in the future.

Techdy is currently running its own crowdfunding campaign, offering reservations for the Game D at $39. A Pro version priced at $59 includes backlighting, dual analog thumbsticks, and vibration. If the 30-day funding campaign is successful, the developers plan on adding a joystick.

The Game D is still in prototype mode and Techdy plans to let community supporters decide on a final name, custom colors, and an app user interface design.

Reservations for the Game D can be placed on the Techdy website. Orders made during the funding period are set to ship before August 2013.

Article Link: Techdy Announces 'Game D' iPad Mini Controller Case
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:02 PM   #2
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Why not Kickstarter????
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Apple might have good reasons for not having a game controller for iOS yet, but the continual push for various such controllers makes me think it would take off if there was some consistency (and clarity!) about support. On that note, it's good to see Techdy is working with iCade.
Carouser is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
srxtr
macrumors 6502a

Sounds heavy doc
srxtr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
KdParker
macrumors 68020

hand gestures and motion sensors seemed to be working just fine.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Nobody said they weren't. What this new accessory will provide, however, is a wealth of
more opportunities for tactile feedback.
miniroll32 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Nice shot of the Mac SE (SE/30?) sitting there in the vid (although not connected and running). I wonder if it's older than these guys
UnfetteredMind is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:45 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Not sure if I'd buy it, but it looks like a neat option to have available. I'm sold on iCade, and the Mini makes a great "maxi" pocket console already. Why not?

The slight angle seemed odd to me, but in actual game play it's probably nicer than a flat "slider" would be.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:50 PM   #9
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Depends on the kind of game; For things like racing and puzzle games, sure those work fine, but for genres like platformers and fighting games you really need a d-pad and buttons.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:09 PM   #10
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Since it works with iCade this is pretty cool. And the way it uses the magnet plus a notch to hold the iPad looks pretty nice as well.

But I don't think it is really worth carrying the extra cover around all the time just for some controller buttons. I currently own an 8-bitty, and I would much rather just stick that in my bag when I need it, rather than having it constantly attached to the device.

But cool idea.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Yeah, I pre-ordered this morning. Hopefully it ships.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #12
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Anyone else notice how some of what he said came straight from Apple product videos??? Lol picked up a few "lines" that Johnny Ive says in these videos
irfaanfaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #13
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikir View Post
Why not Kickstarter????
Because doing it this way makes it easier to scam you out of your money.

They are selling this for $39? How on earth can an independent company bring this to market at such a low price? Good luck to anyone who donates their money to this fantasy.
gatearray is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
SoldOnApple
macrumors member

It looks inspired, but without shoulder buttons I can't see how Mario Kart style games could be played so well. It's almost a perfect SNES pad, but missing the shoulder buttons
SoldOnApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:40 PM   #15
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Looks like ms surface cover. Lawsuit in 3.. 2.. 1..
I'm still waiting for an official way to use a controller in the iPad Apple.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:52 PM   #16
dwardin9
macrumors member

Dual connections...clever.

I have been looking around at the current generation ipad mini keyboards. Logitech ultra thin, belkins blah blah blah, zagg keyboards. I really like the design aspect of this controller. I hope someone is paying attention to this. I like the option of vertically docking the ipad mini AND the horizontal dock where the keys face out the bottom!

I'd buy it.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:58 PM   #17
wkadamsjr
macrumors regular

Doesn't Sony have a patent for X, Square, Triangle, and O buttons? Blatant copying like that is grounds for a lawsuit, especially in our lawsuit-happy world nowadays.

Otherwise, I like the idea.
wkadamsjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkadamsjr View Post
Doesn't Sony have a patent for X, Square, Triangle, and O buttons? Blatant copying like that is grounds for a lawsuit, especially in our lawsuit-happy world nowadays.

Otherwise, I like the idea.
It's still in the design phase, so they could change it before shipping.

I like this idea a lot, but sadly neither have an iPad Mini nor can afford one (or justify spending so much on a product that I'm doing alright without.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:08 PM   #19
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

This would be great for jailbroken devices with emulators
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #20
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
I don't think it is really worth carrying the extra cover around all the time just for some controller buttons. I currently own an 8-bitty, and I would much rather just stick that in my bag when I need it, rather than having it constantly attached to the device.
the beauty is cases like this are interchangeable. I would not expect one to carry it exclusively, unless one was quite the gamer.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:27 PM   #21
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why not Kickstarter????
My thoughts exactly?!

I'm actually intrigued by this, if I could trust them to do a good job at it, I'd really like a controller with physical buttons for my iPad mini.

I don't get why this is on some Kickstarter-clone instead of Kickstarter. Is it because they're not US based or something?
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:11 AM   #22
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
My thoughts exactly?!

I'm actually intrigued by this, if I could trust them to do a good job at it, I'd really like a controller with physical buttons for my iPad mini.

I don't get why this is on some Kickstarter-clone instead of Kickstarter. Is it because they're not US based or something?
So that when they run away with the money there isn't a well-embellished US company to cover the theft. Also no chance of suing. Then again, I might be cynical.
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:27 AM   #23
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Why not Kickstarter????
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Because doing it this way makes it easier to scam you out of your money.

They are selling this for $39? How on earth can an independent company bring this to market at such a low price? Good luck to anyone who donates their money to this fantasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
My thoughts exactly?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJobs2.0 View Post
So that when they run away with the money there isn't a well-embellished US company to cover the theft. Also no chance of suing. Then again, I might be cynical.
Wrong. You guys should have read the FAQ. Don't come to conclusions that they're running a scam. It may not be Kickstarter, but you know what? Developers there end up doing the same thing too - Not delivering. There are many FUNDED projects that are in limbo at the moment. Hell, I know of one that is almost to a YEAR past their shipping deadline.

The real reason is because they are providing some options that are not allowed in Kickstarter campaigns:
http://techdy.com/faq/faq/#1221

Quote:
Some of the features we are offering are not accepted by the Kickstarter policy, such as the community design contests and the incentive program that we will offer to the developers. The good thing is, we are using PayPal to accept funds instead of the Amazon payments from Kickstarter. PayPal is a payment gateway being used more globally and supports more countries, we want Game D to be available to everyone in the world.
Sure, PayPal isn't that great, but you can use a credit card for security too. Which is what I did.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:07 AM   #24
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know what games are being played in the video?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:14 AM   #25
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
Nobody said they weren't. What this new accessory will provide, however, is a wealth of
more opportunities for tactile feedback.
sure, but there has to be another way to get the 'tactile feedback' other than the same on game controller.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion