Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Turntable of Turntable.fm fame today launched a new radio app, featuring songs that are hand-picked by friends and other app users.

While Turntable.fm is designed for chatting with other users while listening to music, Piki builds playlists based on the preferences of others. The app allows users to pick a song, which is then incorporated into the radio playlists of followers, creating unique song lists that are created via user-based preference rather an algorithm.

piki.jpg
Find and follow your musical soulmates and listen to a mix of their best songs. Build up your own collection of songs you love for others to hear. What's inside?

-A free and new music streaming app.
-Discover new music from the people you follow.
-Share songs and see people's reactions to your picks.
-Get the best mix of music from any streaming app.
In addition to building a playlist based on songs chosen by users, the app allows for specific genres and artists to be chosen to narrow down the selection field. Comments can also be added to songs and shared among users.

Piki can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Turntable Launches People-Powered Radio App 'Piki'

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
More "this app was released" and "patch note" articles?

I want to buy more rumour articles. This is MacRumors after all.
Can we just have an area for all the "this app was released or updated" articles please. So they are kept away from the rumour articles.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
More "this app was released" and "patch note" articles?

I want to buy more rumour articles. This is MacRumors after all.
Can we just have an area for all the "this app was released or updated" articles please. So they are kept away from the rumour articles.

It costs money to host a giant forum for thousands of users to get help from each other, explore tech topics, and have a community. It also takes a lot of time to find rumors, write them up as articles, and post them to a website for free.

Do you have a job? I bet you do. How would you like it if other people asked you to do your job for free? They need to make money to cover the costs of the website...and so they probably have promoted apps mixed in with the rumors.

But they're not even selling out, since the apps they promote are actually cool. So if you want to go find rumors yourself, you should. Otherwise, stop complaining and enjoy the website.

Just my 2 cents - I'm not affiliated with MR staff or anything, but it's so annoying to see people complain every time they do something like this.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Just my 2 cents - I'm not affiliated with MR staff or anything, but it's so annoying to see people complain every time they do something like this.

If MacRumors need to do this, they should be up front about it. And say we have to do a little in article app advertising to cover the website costs. Then everyone will be like, ok we get it, we can handle that just fine. But keep the real reason for this all secret and we begin to question MacRumors about their motives. It's only natural to do so.

Because without MacRumors coming clean about this, it does smell very much like they are selling out, or just promoting their favourite apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.