ML install on new disk keeps failing - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
TheOriginalKi
macrumors 6502

ML install on new disk keeps failing

Hi guys I have taken my SSD out of my MacBook Pro Early 2011 to use elsewhere and replaced it with the original 320gb Hdd that I'd been using often as an external so pretty sure it's working fine. Internet Recovery goes right up to the end of the progress bar after a few hours then it just randomly goes back to the selection screen (the one were you select to install Osx, restore from time machine etc). Any ideas? I even tried downloading the installer from the Mac App Store to install from USB but it is doing the same thing. Really at a loss here! Ps it boots up fine if I put the SSD in an external caddy and boot from that.

Thanks
TheOriginalKi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:25 AM   #2
TheOriginalKi
macrumors 6502

So after a lot of Googling I see some people had success reinstalling the MacBook Pro's original RAM sticks (I'm running 1600mhz 2x4GB Corsair rather than the default 1333mhz 2x2GB Hynix). I'll have to get these back from my Mother as I popped these into her laptop for a slight upgrade from the 3gb she was running - luckily I saved the RAM from that so I can just do a swap out.

I'll let you guys know if that is indeed the problem.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:56 PM   #3
TheOriginalKi
macrumors 6502

Well folks it was the ram!

Last edited by TheOriginalKi; Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion