Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
I sold my mac air, thinking I only want a cheap media player for my TV I bought a lenovo q190. First impressions were great, like the windows 8 layout etc..
It's when you start transferring your stuff over...
#1 - iPhoto ..maybe I didn't copy right, I just thought copy library to external HDD, plug in and send to lenovo would be fine. It doesn't see the photos...but kind of does.
#2. - music. All my files are apples lossless, full cd rips. ...windows doesn't like that..not even VLC.

..then the little things, that I didn't mind too much but after tonight's episode it's going back. The fan was kinda noisey but TV over the top it didn't stand out much. Navigating around folders etc..started to miss the ease of Mac OS.

Tomorrow I go and get the Mac mini & pretend this never happend.

:apple:

..stupid Msoft

Last edited by a moderator:

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I just got a Mac Mini and its great..everything works..and no constant downloads for MS

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The iPhoto library is a proprietary Apple format, as is the Apple lossless. Next time just make sure you aren't using files that lock you into any single OS and you should fare better.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
The iPhoto library is a proprietary Apple format, as is the Apple lossless. Next time just make sure you aren't using files that lock you into any single OS and you should fare better.

Not really. Not a proprietary format, simply a special top-level folder, similar to a program package. The photos are stored in JPEG format. Right click iPhoto Library, select Show Package Contents. The JPEG photos are stored in a chronological folder structure which can be copied elsewhere for direct access.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Not really. Not a proprietary format, simply a special top-level folder, similar to a program package. The photos are stored in JPEG format. Right click iPhoto Library, select Show Package Contents. The JPEG photos are stored in a chronological folder structure which can be copied elsewhere for direct access.

I can't just drag the library to a Windows Share and use Windows Photo Viewer on it, which I think is what the OP tried to do (or something similar). I'd call that a proprietary format, just with data that's stored in a shared format.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I can't just drag the library to a Windows Share and use Windows Photo Viewer on it, which I think is what the OP tried to do (or something similar). I'd call that a proprietary format, just with data that's stored in a shared format.

Yes, you can just drag and drop it, see my previous post, its in a standard file structure format. And JPEG is not a shared format or proprietary, its one of the most widely used digital photo formats in the world.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

Neither of these things is true. The iPhoto library is just a folder full of jpg files. The actual xml that keeps it all up to date in the app itself (like originals/copies/edits etc) is specific to iPhoto, but the library itself can be opened on any system that can read jpg files.

Apple Lossless is also open source and royalty free, the total opposite of proprietary.

Last edited:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I sold my mac air, thinking I only want a cheap media player for my TV I bought a lenovo q190. First impressions were great, like the windows 8 layout etc..
It's when you start transferring your stuff over...
#1 - iPhoto ..maybe I didn't copy right, I just thought copy library to external HDD, plug in and send to lenovo would be fine. It doesn't see the photos...but kind of does.
#2. - music. All my files are apples lossless, full cd rips. ...windows doesn't like that..not even VLC.

..then the little things, that I didn't mind too much but after tonight's episode it's going back. The fan was kinda noisey but TV over the top it didn't stand out much. Navigating around folders etc..started to miss the ease of Mac OS.

Tomorrow I go and get the Mac mini & pretend this never happend.

:apple:

..stupid Msoft

download itunes for windows :p

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
ITomorrow I go and get the Mac mini & pretend this never happend.

..stupid Msoft

There's nothing wrong with locking yourself into A specific ecosystem (I'm happily entrenched in Apples world). You just have to be aware that moving between different OS's are going to require a bit more foresight and research before you go around throwing blame. In your case it seems like most if the issues you're complaining about are user error and not the OS.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Ye..well, I guess I realise apple is just easy to use.

Is there anything like windows 8 start screen for mac? ..coz that is pretty neat and useful.

----------

download itunes for windows :p

Lol, didn't think to do that. I'll be happier back on mac though anyway. Just broke at the same time

darksource666

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I think you did it wrong to be honest. Whenever i get any photos, i make sure i can see/find the file, otherwise it's going to do nothing but run on mac hardware. I do have a htpc and it's going brilliantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.