Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlos970

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I have this apple isight from a macbook pro 15' unibody late 2008 and i want to know whats the cable configuration to make an usb adaptation, the problem is that i only have 2 red colour cables and the rest are all the same colour, so, anyone can help me with that?

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
USB issue

First issue I think is that the iSight is fire wire. All the MacBooks I have pulled apart are. It's a small FW 800 connector. I am not sure about the unibody but anything is possibly. Not sure if this is the right spot to ask. The MacBook or laptop thread may get you more information.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Sorry, but they are USB. Only the original eternal iSight camera is firewire.

If you have the long cable that connects thru the Bluetooth daughter board and to the logic board, you may be able to trace pin 21 & 22 of the 30 pin connector that connects to the logic board.

Pin 21 is USB +

Pin 22 is USB -

Pin 17 is +5v USB supply

Pin 3, 6, 9, 20, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29 & 30 are GND

Last edited:

Carlos970

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
this is the cable

img0506pb.jpg
img0507zl.jpg

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
OK, looking at pics courtesy of MacFixIt,

The connection runs from the main logic board then into the camera board and then thru the camera to the bluetooth board.

Ground & 5v must be common to the bluetooth board and camera board.

Looking at the bluetooth board (which is a blue board in all the pics I've seen) there seems to be a mounting hole with a silver circle around it (I'll take that as ground).

Also note that those blue (or green) wires are shield cables (like tiny coax cables) - but whilst the shields seem to be soldered together, they don't appear to be connected thru to the camera board as a ground.

The two red wires I'll take as GND and +5V since looking at the end of the cable, the traces on the connector PCB are thicker.

This leaves 6 signal wires. 4 will be USB+ and USB- (one for the camera and one for the bluetooth board).

If you're able to trace the signals that are passed thru to the bluetooth board, you should be able to eliminate 2 or 3 signal wires, leaving 3 choices. What the 3rd signal is for, I'm not certain, but given these can be activated remotely, I'm wondering if this is to activate the camera.

Oddly, the bottom two signal traces in the attached pic seem to be soldered together (though that could be a trick of the light) - perhaps you can verify that.

If any of this is obvious, I apologize, without one here, it's a bit difficult. :(

EDIT: Just a guess, but the 2 unknown signal cables may be for the Ambient Light Sensor, which is passed into the main cable that connects to the Main Logic Board.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/05/22/where-is-the-ambient-light-sensor-on-a-macbook-pro/

Attachments

• Camera Board Connector 2 zoom anot.jpg
    Camera Board Connector 2 zoom anot.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,582
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.