Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with its launch previously announced launch plans, T-Mobile USA today officially launched the iPhone, offering the iPhone 5 nationwide and the iPhone 4S and 4 in markets where the devices are supported on its network. The T-Mobile iPhone is also available through Apple's online store at full price with interest-free financing offered through Barclaycard.

iphone_5_now_tmobile.jpg
TechCrunch notes that some T-Mobile retail stores are seeing small lines this morning as customers seek to purchase the device using under T-Mobile's new "Uncarrier" service plans which begin at $50/month with no contract. The business model separates the device and service costs, putting the full unsubsidized device cost onto a separate 24-month payment plan.

As noted by TmoNews, T-Mobile has also rolled out a new television ad for the iPhone, touting the pairing of the popular device with T-Mobile's network and service plans.
It's the phone that's revolutionizing phones. Make sure it's running on the carrier that's revolutionizing wireless. Introducing iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. With our advanced nationwide 4G network, and no more restrictive annual contracts required, only T-Mobile lets your iPhone 5 be as great as an iPhone 5.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Launches iPhone, Rolls Out New TV Ad

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
On AT&T now and think T-Mobile would be a good option. I have no real need for LTE. I mean who needs 30 down and 20 up on a smartphone. Really.

Wonder how T-Mobile service compares to AT&T.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Glad T-Mobile has the iPhone now, but that's a really unimaginative ad and awkward use of Hendrix.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
... But I am still grateful to ATT for taking the chance with Apple back in 2007. I do like T-mobiles service, employees, and attitude toward changing things up a little with the contract business.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
While not the most creative/clever ad (both of which are highly overrated), it is to the point. And seems a perfect message upon launch.
Kudos to T-Mo for their efforts to change up the way carrier operate. Curious to see how this all plays out.

Oldfash33

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Time to buy. Hope they don't run out of units today since we won't make it down til this afternoon #

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
GF is getting this first week in May when her Verizon two-year commitment runs out. Her monthly cell cost will drop from $90+ to $70 and the phone is only $99 instead of 199 upfront. If the phone lasts over two years, she saves even more on a monthly basis.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
no mention of price? c'mon.

tmobile $579
apple $649

also, if you have iphone 4/4S you can get the new iphone 5 for $0 down payment (instead of usual $99 down) . you ALSO get a "fair market" value for your iphone4/4s when buying ip5 from tmobile.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2012
Just bought the T-Mobile version, I'm still getting EDGE Speedswherever I used to have 3G with my old T-Mobile phone. Are we sure this has full 3G ?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Just bought the T-Mobile version, I'm still getting EDGE Speedswherever I used to have 3G with my old T-Mobile phone. Are we sure this has full 3G ?

Were you able to buy the phone outright for $579 or did they require an uncarrier plan, initially.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I wish them well in their new venture (not just the iPhone, but the new pricing/plans). It seems to make the most sense if you are on a family plan. My family is going to be switching at the end of the month, when they are all out of contract with AT&T. They've had a good experience with AT&T, they just are moving for the price savings.

For me, I pay $80 a month for my iPhone through AT&T. Considering I upgrade every two years, there's really no savings on an individual plan switching to T-Mobile. It wouldn't be an option for me anyway, as at the moment they have no 3G coverage anywhere near where I live, though they have plenty of EDGE. I'd love to see them become a more dominant carrier and put more money into upgrading and expanding their network. More competition is a good thing, especially if such competition is large enough to cause AT&T and Verizon to take notice.

----------

Did you buy a iPhone 5? Are you in an area where they have 3G? A surprising amount of their network is still EDGE only, even with the right device.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
no mention of price? c'mon.

tmobile $579
apple $649
Apple partnered up with Barclay's and will allow financing options throughout a 24 month period - with a $70 credit 6 months in (if you make your payments on time).

But of course, this requires signing up for the credit card and getting approved for it. If not, you'll pay more in Apple compared to T Mobile.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Seriously; why did it take so long for T-Mobile to get the iPhone?

The iPhone was shown off in 2007. You can now get one from T-Mobile - after a nearly 6 year wait.

Meanwhile, Android garbage-phones were available on T-Mobile as fast as their manufactures could crap them out - before other carriers got Android, in fact.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Why didn't you ask T-Mobile this when you were there? :confused: And just because you left the storefront, it's not too late to ask them.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Seriously; why did it take so long for T-Mobile to get the iPhone?

The iPhone was shown off in 2007. You can now get one from T-Mobile - after a nearly 6 year wait.

Meanwhile, Android garbage-phones were available on T-Mobile as fast as their manufactures could crap them out - before other carriers got Android, in fact.

Do you realize that AT&T had an exclusive deal with Apple from day one all the way to January 2011? That's part of the reason it "took so long".

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
That makes the whole ad grade A in my opinion. I'm loving T-Mobile on my 4S. I will likely wait till the next iPhone, 4S is still working great for me.

Wise decision staying with the 4S. I should have kept mine.

The stretched out iPhone 5 I have now is bland, odd sized long & narrow display, not to mention its fragile finish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.