Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
chele519
macrumors regular

How many people have both full size iPad and iPad mini?

How many people use both and which is your preferred device?
chele519 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Ben S
macrumors newbie

I have both (personally purchased 3rd gen iPad and a work purchased iPad mini). I far prefer the mini -- it's the "right" size for a tablet as far as I'm concerned, but then I don't watch much video. If I did I would probably prefer the full-size iPad.

The biggest factor is the weight. The mini can be held comfortably in one hand for an extended period; the full-size retina iPads are too heavy for that. If the 5th gen iPad is lighter, it might be a bit more of a toss-up. The only thing I like better about the full-size iPad is the retina display: when Apple launches the retina mini, assuming it doesn't affect the weight or battery life too much, it will be a no-brainer upgrade.
Ben S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I have an iPad 2 and mini and much prefer the mini by far.

Size, weight, portability and features are superb for the price.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
boshii
macrumors 68030

I have an iPad 3 and a Mini and I definitely prefer the Mini for the obvious reasons.

If the iPad 5 is as thin and light as the rumors suggest, i'd definitely jump back on the full-size iPad train.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:57 PM   #5
iOZZY
macrumors newbie

I have an iPad mini and iPad 4 and prefer the mini form factor over the iPad 4 but the retina screen is so much better. If the next mini is retina I'll consolidate to just one unit.
iOZZY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:10 PM   #6
HiRisk
macrumors 6502

I have both and prefer the iPad Mini due to its form factor. I will bring the Mini along with me when I go to Vegas and California this summer.
HiRisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
wjereb
macrumors newbie

I have both but I would have never bought the Mini since I had the iPad 3. But my company gave Mini's out as an end of the year bonus. I don't really have a preference but I do like the weight factor. I don't travel a lot but when I do I take the Mini and leave the iPad home. The same reason I prefer my Macbook Air over the Pro.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:38 PM   #8
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I have an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini
I love them both and use them for different purposes
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

I have 2 full size and 1 iPad Mini....

Somehow, probably through the use of force, my 2 kids have taken over the full size ones - so I purchased the Mini for my use only!
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I have a 3 and a mini. I like the bigger screen size of the 3, I find that it makes it easier to not mistap the wrong touch targets. Plus, websites are easier to view on a larger screen. I do like how light and portable the mini is. But if the iPad 5 comes with a significant reduction in weight, as rumored, I doubt I'll get another mini.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

I had an iPad 3 and a Mini for a while, both great although I kept the Mini because it was newer.

Admittedly I do regret doing this slightly, as with continued use I do miss my full sized iPad for use at home. The larger higher quality screen is simply easier on the eyes. The Mini is much better for use on the move though, although I've found myself needing to take it to work less and less since getting a Galaxy Note 2. I'll most likely get an iPad 5 for home use, and use the Note 2 is some weird phone, tablet, ereader replacement for work/commuting.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

I have an ipad 3 which is used with a Logitech keyboard cover, for days when I don't need the full power of my MacBook.

The mini is my tablet for gaming, browsing, music, etc..
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:12 PM   #13
iamartimus
macrumors 6502

I have an ipad 2 and a mini. When my wife got me the mini for Christmas, I gave my 13 year old daughter the ipad 2. Last week, clumsy me, tipped the mini off a counter and it landed flat on the rug, screen down. Poof! Shattered screen. Oh well, called everywhere locally and no one will change the mini screen. >
I won't jack the ipad 2 back from my daughter,so I only use my iphone 5 and iMAC. Miss my mini, but I can't afford to buy another one just yet.

I prefer the mini. Much lighter and easier to hold.
iamartimus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I have the 3 and a Mini. After using it for 5 months now, I have to say I use the Mini most of the time. If my battery is down or I want to watch a movie I grab the the 3 instead. I love the smaller form factor and retina is not an issue for me. I don't plan to upgrade for a few years at least. Initially I was going to sell my 3 and keep just the Mini. However my 3 was only 7 months old and prices kept dropping so I ended keeping them both.

Hopefully my next upgrade will have 2 gigs of ram in it whether its a full size or a Mini. For me to consider another full size, they need to make it look like the Mini and they need to lighten it up. And I'm hoping they build more functions into iOS itself.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:59 PM   #15
sbddude
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamartimus View Post
I have an ipad 2 and a mini. When my wife got me the mini for Christmas, I gave my 13 year old daughter the ipad 2. Last week, clumsy me, tipped the mini off a counter and it landed flat on the rug, screen down. Poof! Shattered screen. Oh well, called everywhere locally and no one will change the mini screen. >
I won't jack the ipad 2 back from my daughter,so I only use my iphone 5 and iMAC. Miss my mini, but I can't afford to buy another one just yet.

I prefer the mini. Much lighter and easier to hold.
Have you considered the out-of-warranty replacement from the apple store?
sbddude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

iPad 3 and iPad mini here.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Macuser1066
macrumors member

I have both the iPad 4 and the Mini. I love the Mini, but bought it with WiFi only. I don't have available WiFi except at home and a few places outside. Since I spend a lot of time in the car, the LTE is much more util for me. I will be buying the new MINI with LTE as soon as it is out. I love the form factor and with severe arthritis in my wrist, the weight is a factor for me.
Macuser1066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:29 PM   #18
superstarmc
macrumors regular

Second generation, third and mini
superstarmc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:42 PM   #19
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

got an ipad 3 (retina) and a mini. mini goes everywhere i go and the ipad 3 stays at home for normal use instead of my laptop.
vmaniqui is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #20
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I have an iPad 4, and a Mini. Both are quite nice. No favorites here. Each has it's pros and cons, and I have specific uses for both.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
iPad 3, iPad Mini here.... I use the Mini most of the time but when she is on the charger I reach for the iP3.... Eventually when the next generation of the iPad Mini comes out I probably will be selling off the iPad 3 and going strictly Mini here...... It just works so much more comfortably for what I do and where I do it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:42 AM   #22
madgibbon
macrumors member

I have a iPad 4 and mini. I used the mini exclusively since I bought it a few months back, great weight and form factor. The other day I fired up the iPad 4 and realised how much I missed the large Retina display, faster performance and extra memory (Safari doesn't keep reloading tabs) but I does feel very heavy.

I've since reset the mini and passed it on to my wife. I'm hoping either the iPad 5 will be lighter with the thinner surround like the mini or the iPad 4 (or better) innards and screen are squashed into a mini case
madgibbon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:01 AM   #23
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502

I do. But since getting the mini, and switching over my unlimited AT&T data plan over to it from my original ipad...I haven't really used the larger one. The mini is just so portable. I thought I might use the regular sized ipad with its larger screen at home more...but the truth is I don't. So I'm gonna give it to my bro.

It'll be interesting to see how thin the ipad 5 will be...but even if the rumors are true, and they make it super thin and light...I still think I will stick with the mini. It's just the perfect size for me. Even without retina...the screen looks great, so I won't jump at upgrading if the next mini gets retina.
MacDarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Brandon0448
macrumors regular

I thought about getting an iPad mini alongside my iPad 3 but I quickly realized I don't need two iPads. So I just made it rain on some strippers.
Brandon0448 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:41 PM   #25
Tomacorno
macrumors regular

2075. I am sorry it took so long for someone to give you a proper answer.
Tomacorno is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad