Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Ok guys, got a situation I could only get in lol Here goes...
So I used to use the standard download of HB but then discovered the awesomeness of the Nightly Build for ripping my MKV's and never looked back.

That is until last night. Why? Well the settings I had written down for my DVD rips on the standard HB did not result in the same great outcome with the Nightly?! These are DVD rips not MKV's keep in mind and for whatever reason the result with the same settings is literally night and day sucky?!

So what do I do I go and re download the standard HB and apply my old settings again and DO NOT get the same result again...?!

So my question then seeing I haven't used the standard HB in about a year, does anyone know if there had been an update or major changes to the standard HB during this time?

The settings I tried to match was HIGH PROFILE at CQ 16 with DECOMB set to default.

Any info on HB status would be swell - JIM

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
But would that of effected the non nightly as well? Just trying to find out if the NON Nightly HB has had an update along in the last year? Specifically the ATV2 and HIGH PROFILE presets. Thanks Dynaflash

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
But would that of effected the non nightly as well? Just trying to find out if the NON Nightly HB has had an update along in the last year? Specifically the ATV2 and HIGH PROFILE presets. Thanks Dynaflash

The last "stable" release was from July 2012. If you are using nightly builds, they would contain much newer code than what is currently in the most recent stable release.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The last "stable" release was from July 2012. If you are using nightly builds, they would contain much newer code than what is currently in the most recent stable release.

... but newer builds don't necessarily mean better performance / higher speed. I've tested the then-recent nightly build of HB back in November 2012 and found it equally fast than the (still) current stable version.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
... but newer builds don't necessarily mean better performance / higher speed. I've tested the then-recent nightly build of HB back in November 2012 and found it equally fast than the (still) current stable version.

Yes, but that wasn't the question. The question was whether the current "non-nightly" (i.e Stable) build would have everything the nightly builds do. The answer to that is no since it hasn't been updated since July. I personally still use the stable version. I don't mess with nightly builds. The Stable version does all that I need.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks Paulrbeers, for clarifying! Basically yes my question was about the NON nightly only! I needed to know how long it had been since the last stable update! Basically I know now thanks to you that 'in theory' the ATV2 & HIGH PROFILE presets should produce the same result I had when I used them before in HB stable...

However and reason behind my question here is I am NOT getting the same result from HB stable a year later unfortunately. I wrote everything down back when i started ripping this sitcom and followed my notes to the letter, even ripped an episode I already had to test but the result was totally not as clear and very soft almost smudged in comparison.

Basically i want to match the quality i was getting before but for whatever reason even though I am following the same steps, presets and settings I can not achieve a match in HB stable. Frustrating to say the least now that I know HB stable is suppose to be the same : (

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

no, the built in presets are static in each build. now going to a newer build (like a nightly) HB *will* update its built in presets to work with the newer build.

Realize however that its not automatic going backwards. So if you go to an older revision you should do Presets > Update Presets in order to have hb load up the built in presets for the older build.

Also note that custom presets are *not* updated for you, though we do try to keep a reasonable amounts of backwards compatibility for custom presets.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Realize however that its not automatic going backwards. So if you go to an older revision you should do Presets > Update Presets in order to have hb load up the built in presets for the older build.
So if i understand correctly simply clicking on 'update presets' in the NON Nightly HB Version 0.9.8 x86_64 , should get the ATV2 and HIGH PROFILE presets back like they were a year ago?

I have never used custom presets ever, I started using HB with just these two presets all ready built in.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
So if i understand correctly simply clicking on 'update presets' in the NON Nightly HB Version 0.9.8 x86_64 , should get the ATV2 and HIGH PROFILE presets back like they were a year ago?

I have never used custom presets ever, I started using HB with just these two presets all ready built in.

Yes that is correct. HB will rewrite your Built-in presets from that rev (0.9.8) in your case. Now that also said there should really not be any change in those two presets from 0.9.8 to the latest nightly. But that is correct you can go back to 0.9.8 and "update presets" and have it like it was originally.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
well I figured out my issue! the HB i used with the HIGH PROFILE preset a year ago was HB 0.9.5 not 0.9.8!
I downloaded the old HB 0.9.5 clicked the HIGH PROFILE and created a MATCH!

It is really night and day how much clearer the DVD rip result is compared to 0.9.8!!
Back in business and happy i double checked the 'get info' tab on my other files and saw the version encryption! Thanks for all that tried to help me

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.