Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Interested to see who's watching, and your picks to win the green jacket.

I gotta go with Tiger, really want him to get another jacket and end the major drought!

What about you guys?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Woods was deemed to have taken an improper drop on the 15th hole during the second round of the Masters at Augusta National on Friday when his approach shot hit the pin and bounced back into the water.

He made a bogey-6 on the hole, which on Saturday morning was revised to a triple-bogey 8.

Instead of a 1-under-par 71 he was given a 73 and will start the third round five strokes back of 36-hole leader Jason Day in pursuit of his fifth green jacket.

Typically in such situations, Woods would be disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. Woods explained the situation on Twitter on Saturday morning.

"At hole #15, I took a drop that I thought was correct and in accordance with the rules," Woods wrote. "I was unaware at that time I had violated any rules. I didn't know I had taken an incorrect drop prior to signing my scorecard. Subsequently, I met with the Masters Committee Saturday morning... and was advised they had reviewed the incident prior to the completion of my round. Their initial determination... was that there was no violation, but they had additional concerns based on my post-round interview. After discussing the situation... with them this morning, I was assessed a two-shot penalty. I understand and accept the penalty and respect the Committees' decision."
Fred Ridley, former president of the USGA and the chairman of the Masters competition committees, detailed the timeline of events surrounding the penalty in a statement released Saturday morning.

"After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole," Ridley said in the statement. "At that moment, based on the evidence, the committee determined he had complied with the rules.

"After he signed his scorecard, and in a television interview subsequent to the round, the player stated that he played further from the point than where he had played his third shot. Such action would constitute playing from the wrong place.

"The subsequent information provided by the player's interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning. After meeting with the player, it was determined that he had violated Rule 26, and he was assessed a two-stroke penalty. The penalty of disqualification was waived by the committee under Rule 33 as the committee had previously reviewed the information and made it's intitial determination prior to the finish of the player's round.''

According to the USGA website, the "revision to Decision 33-7/4.5 addresses the situation where a player is not aware he has breached a Rule because of facts that he did not know and could not reasonably have discovered prior to returning his score card. Under this revised decision and at the discretion of the Committee, the player still receives the penalty associated with the breach of the underlying Rule, but is not disqualified.''

Reaction was swift and all over the golf map as the story unfolded over night and into Saturday morning.
http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/s...asters-tiger-penalized-2-strokes-ball-drop-15

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Tiger got screwed just like the kid from China did.

Agusta is now on my list.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't there an official standing right around when a golfer makes his drop ? The official should have known at that time if he broke a rule.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't there an official standing right around when a golfer makes his drop ? The official should have known at that time if he broke a rule.
I believe the golfer has to ask for assistance first.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

How did Tiger get screwed? He dropped 6 feet away from where he should have.

ESPN.com said:
The question appeared to be whether Woods droped the ball as near as possible to his original spot. The ruling said no.

After the round, Woods said: "I went back to where I played it from, but I went 2 yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit.''

Two yards was not close enough.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/s...asters-tiger-penalized-2-strokes-ball-drop-15

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I believe the rules state you can't drop the ball so as to make it closer to the hole. I've seen players go back a club length away from the drop spot before without being penalized.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I believe the rules state you can't drop the ball so as to make it closer to the hole. I've seen players go back a club length away from the drop spot before without being penalized.

I don't think there are many clubs that are 6 feet long.:p

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Tiger may be known for infidelity problems but he is not a cheater at golf.
It was an honest mistake. Even Bubba Watson said so.

"But current players were positive in their reaction, though defending champion Bubba Watson bristled at the idea a TV viewer can change the course of a tournament by calling in with their observations.

Watson, after shooting a third-round 70 to climb to 2 over, said unlike the TV viewer who raised the issue Friday with Masters officials, he wouldn't even know who to call if he saw someone breaking a rule.

"So I don't even know how these people get a number to call," Watson said. "And obviously they got more time on their hands than I do, because I don't know the number and I'm playing in the golf tournament." Watson said he was glad Rule 33 was adjusted.

"It should protect us," Watson said. "The sad thing is the high-profile player gets the camera on him at all times. A guy could break a rule and not know he broke the rule. Like me today, there's no cameras on me today, everybody could care less what I was doing."

But Watson said TV viewers shouldn't be able to affect how players make rule decisions.

"So when somebody calls in like that, yeah, it shouldn't be that way, it shouldn't be allowed," Watson said. "Nobody calls in during a basketball game or a football game."

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Tiger may be known for infidelity problems but he is not a cheater at golf.
It was an honest mistake. Even Bubba Watson said so.

I don't doubt that it was an honest mistake, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be penalized for breaking the rules. He wasn't disqualified from the tournament, just given a penalty.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I don't doubt that it was an honest mistake, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be penalized for breaking the rules. He wasn't disqualified from the tournament, just given a penalty.

If the competition committee thought it was an infraction, why didn't they determine this yesterday when they first talked to Tiger about this incident? They questioned it originally, made the determination that nothing was wrong before the round was over, he signed off his score card, and went home.

Then some TV viewer calls up and whines and all of a sudden they reverse the decision? It just sounds shady.

If there was a legit violation with his drop, they should have made the decision then and imposed the penalty yesterday.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
It's that good old boys. White only Agusta management.

Billy Payne is an embarrassment to golf.

Sadly the entire sport of golf is an embarrassment to golf sometimes.

Fun sport to play but I absolutely can't stand some of the old ****s with their good old boys attitude about it. Some of them definitely need to get off their high horse.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I don't think there are many clubs that are 6 feet long.:p

The sad thing is that the officials reviewed it at the time and found nothing wrong.

Tiger should have known better but can you blame him when the officials can't even get it right :D.

Then some TV viewer calls up and whines and all of a sudden they reverse the decision? It just sounds shady.

The TV viewer actually called just after Tiger made the shot. The officials immediately checked it out and decided nothing was wrong.

Tiger's problems actually started when he described his shot during an interview after the golf round. The officials decided to look back at their ruling, changed their decision, and decided to penalize Tiger 2 shots.

Nothing shady went on. It was just a bad decision by Tiger and very bad officiating.

Last edited:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
What do you guys think, can Tiger come back from 4 down? I'm pulling for Tiger, Snedeker, or Stricker. Would love to see any of them win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.