Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Is it just failing for everyone who uses the leaked apk?

Or is everyone having the log in error?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And if it isn't?

Not saying it isn't, but if it wasn't...

Then using an up to date leaked .apk won't help. You maybe able to install but you'll get 'this device is not supported on your device, you will get a notification when Facebook home is available for your device"....

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
If you aren't rooted and the apk hasn't been optimized for your screen size or resolution DPI, you are SOL, I do believe. Once you root, you can allow for installs from any source and alter DPI, if need be.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Then using an up to date leaked .apk won't help. You maybe able to install but you'll get 'this device is not supported on your device, you will get a notification when Facebook home is available for your device"....

That's not good.

You'd think Facebook would want their home-thing on as many devices as possible as quickly as possible.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's not good.

You'd think Facebook would want their home-thing on as many devices as possible as quickly as possible.

In fairness its first day and they do only say HTC One X, X+, SGS3, Note 2 so far with HTC One and SGS4 shortly after.

Give it a few months and hopefully more devices will be added to the roster.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
In fairness its first day and they do only say HTC One X, X+, SGS3, Note 2 so far with HTC One and SGS4 shortly after.

Give it a few months and hopefully more devices will be added to the roster.

I hope so, it isn't like you need to do a lot to make an app work on a Nexus device. I mean... isn't the HTC First supposedly a phone that is "stock Android with a launcher"? That's what I read, anyway.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hope so, it isn't like you need to do a lot to make an app work on a Nexus device. I mean... isn't the HTC First supposedly a phone that is "stock Android with a launcher"? That's what I read, anyway.

Sad irony of course is that we want to try it and after fiddling with it I have no doubt well uninstall and go back to stock launchers :)

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

Because of the floating chat heads I think they actually have to tie into the OS at a lower level than is typical of an app. I doubt it would ever work on a Nexus device because of that. They worked with HTC and Samsung to integrate it with their newer devices, but even then there are some notifications that will only work on the HTC First.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Sad irony of course is that we want to try it and after fiddling with it I have no doubt well uninstall and go back to stock launchers :)

And this is exactly what I did. I tried it for a couple of hours and wasn't impressed. I mean, it's fine for what it is (a first-generation launcher), but unless you're addicted to Facebook, it's just going to get in the way of what you are trying to do.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I got it from the playstore. Dont see a reason to use this at all over the actual app and as a launcher....why the hec would i use this?
Deleted it already after 10 minutes.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Because of the floating chat heads I think they actually have to tie into the OS at a lower level than is typical of an app. I doubt it would ever work on a Nexus device because of that. They worked with HTC and Samsung to integrate it with their newer devices, but even then there are some notifications that will only work on the HTC First.

That's not quite true for the chat heads feature. That's baked directly into the Facebook messenger and I've got it working on my Nexus 4. It's actually quite handy. All it does is ask for an extra permission and you are good to go. From what I can tell the reason they didn't roll it out to more devices is probably die to optimization of the software. Facebook wants it to be a smooth experience without just throwing more resources at it. It's taking the time to optimize the code.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
i didnt like home but i do like the chat heads and found out they stayed after i deleted fb home so that is good.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Lol have it right now on my nexus 4 (thanks Modaco) and wow! :D for hardcore users only, if you dont breath facebook stay away from fb home hehe.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Ugh, that leaves me out. Will avoid this like the plague. However I am curious, are there any revenue aspects to the software? Embedded video, ads, stuff like that? I figured it would be a platform for invasive ads too
Lol have it right now on my nexus 4 (thanks Modaco) and wow! :D for hardcore users only, if you dont breath facebook stay away from fb home hehe.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Yeah, I read something similar but it wasnt definitive. It was about Facebook charging a million bucks for an internal video ad. I apologize for not remembering the source, will try to look it up. This new FB app seems to be a perfect platform for something like that.
It's looking like ads are coming

http://www.adexchanger.com/mobile/facebook-exec-talks-home-ad-strategy-monetization-opportunities/

It's totally put me off even trying it, the sponsored spam, i mean ads, on the app are annoying as it is

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Ugh, that leaves me out. Will avoid this like the plague. However I am curious, are there any revenue aspects to the software? Embedded video, ads, stuff like that? I figured it would be a platform for invasive ads too

Well you can try it and se for yourself :D if you have a nexu 4 or other unsupported device just google "facebook home modaco" and you will find the patched apps.

Never saw any ads but im sure they will happend, they should have the option to remove ads with a small fee cause i dont think people will enjoy it that much...

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
It's not appearing in the Play Store for me.

EDIT : It did, and I don't like it. Another insta-delete.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's not appearing in the Play Store for me.

EDIT : It did, and I don't like it. Another insta-delete.

Lol... Sounds exactly like what I did.

What would be nice and more preferable is if the Facebook app itself actually had an option to view posts like Facebook home presents them, but kept it all in the FB app and not as a launcher.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Facebook home is junk. Delete it within 5 minutes.

I guess if u are a kid and socialize every minute. Than its cool.

But for adults, it not worth installing and messing with ur overall home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.