Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

Deauthorize this computer

Ok I am getting my Imac ready to sell, I have reloaded ML back on it, I had deauthorized this computer before I reloaded ML, is there anything else I must do? I trided to find the steps for selling a IMac but could not locate the posting, thanks
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

If you're on Snow Leopard or earlier:
Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling
If you're on Lion or later:
The Safe Mac How to prepare your Mac for sale
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery
Perform a Clean Install of OS X Lion on Your Mac
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhifi View Post
Ok I am getting my Imac ready to sell, I have reloaded ML back on it, I had deauthorized this computer before I reloaded ML, is there anything else I must do? I trided to find the steps for selling a IMac but could not locate the posting, thanks
Just command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD. Then reinstall the OS.

If you are really worried about sensitive data being recovered, you can turn on Filevault2 encryption before you do this so that when you erase the disk you are erasing an encrypted core storage volume that cannot be recovered.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys!!!!!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
martosprint
macrumors 6502

Hope you don't mind me adding to the post, but I read how to clean the machine up, but how do you reinstall Mountain Lion? I downloaded ML from the app store at the time, but if I try to download it on the cleaned computer won't they ask for my apple ID and wouldn't it still be under my name etc? And could I really download it all over again without a hassle?
Thanks for a reply. 
martosprint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by martosprint View Post
Hope you don't mind me adding to the post, but I read how to clean the machine up, but how do you reinstall Mountain Lion? I downloaded ML from the app store at the time, but if I try to download it on the cleaned computer won't they ask for my apple ID and wouldn't it still be under my name etc? And could I really download it all over again without a hassle?
Thanks for a reply. 
Yes, if you bought ML you should be able to download and install it again without additional cost.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martosprint View Post
Thanks for a reply. 
I assume we are talking about for a machine you want to sell/give away?

ML is licensed to you, so you can't give it away on the machine, and as you alluded to, if the new user wants to reinstall ML they will be asked for YOUR AppleID to do this. Which of course they won't have.

What you want to do is get back to the OS the machine came with. If that is Snow Leopard or earlier you will want to boot from the original grey DVD installer and erase/install from there. If your machine came with Lion, you can by the ML recovery and go to Lion Internet Recovery by doing a command-option-r boot. That will DL the Lion recovery and allow you to erase and reinstall Lion. This Lion install will not ask for your AppleID since it is tied to your machine's serial number.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:11 AM   #8
martosprint
macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for the replies, the info was useful.
martosprint is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:02 PM   #9
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, if you bought ML you should be able to download and install it again without additional cost.
ok I deauthorized the iMac, erased HD, I had to login to my account to download ML, (I did not set it up), then I went to my other mac and changed my Apple password. So when he logs in he will have to use his account ID correct, and I will be safe???

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion