Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I don't have any battery killing tweaks, but I go on instagram for maybe a minute or two and everytime I pull out my phone it feels like the battery steadily decreases. If I only pull out my phone 5 times in the span of 4 hours for no longer than 5 minutes it'll be at like 60-70%

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
I don't have any battery killing tweaks, but I go on instagram for maybe a minute or two and everytime I pull out my phone it feels like the battery steadily decreases. If I only pull out my phone 5 times in the span of 4 hours for no longer than 5 minutes it'll be at like 60-70%

Give us some infos about the device, firmware, tweaks/apps installed.

lucastatic

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Give us some infos about the device, firmware, tweaks/apps installed.

In addition to:

- What type of iDevice
- What version of iOS
- What tweaks you have

Please also provide:

- When you started noticing said battery drain
- If you've ever performed a clean setup (ie, no previous restore / over-the-air upgrade)
- If you have any polling set up (any Mail, Contacts & Calendars accounts set to Push or Fetch)
- Typical backgrounded apps

Mastering iOS battery life takes time and patience. It could be due to stock settings constantly polling and draining your battery, or apps that remain backgrounded for abnormal/unnecessary amounts of time, or poorly optimized jailbreak tweaks, or (what I personally blame a lot of battery drain on) a non-clean setup.

[edit]
Ideal setup with minimal battery drain, in my opinion?

- Fresh restore to 6.1.2. (be warned: restoring to 6.1.2 isn't possible for the majority of people at this point in time)
- Fresh jailbreak.
- No restore from backup, set up everything manually.
- No Mail Accounts push unless necessary. No Fetch unless necessary.
- Fresh sync.
- Install jailbreak tweaks one-by-one, testing battery life along the way.

Jailbreaking by itself doesn't have any impact on battery life. A lot of battery drain is caused by hiccups in Apple's automation pre-jailbreak, or going crazy with a lot of tweaks/modifications at once post-jailbreak.

Last edited:

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
In addition to:

- What type of iDevice
- What version of iOS
- What tweaks you have

Please also provide:

- When you started noticing said battery drain
- If you've ever performed a clean setup (ie, no previous restore / over-the-air upgrade)
- If you have any polling set up (any Mail, Contacts & Calendars accounts set to Push or Fetch)
- Typical backgrounded apps

Mastering iOS battery life takes time and patience. It could be due to stock settings constantly polling and draining your battery, or apps that remain backgrounded for abnormal/unnecessary amounts of time, or poorly optimized jailbreak tweaks, or (what I personally blame a lot of battery drain on) a non-clean setup.

[edit]
Ideal setup with minimal battery drain, in my opinion?

- Fresh restore to 6.1.2. (be warned: restoring to 6.1.2 isn't possible for the majority of people at this point in time)
- Fresh jailbreak.
- No restore from backup, set up everything manually.
- No Mail Accounts push unless necessary. No Fetch unless necessary.
- Fresh sync.
- Install jailbreak tweaks one-by-one, testing battery life along the way.

Jailbreaking by itself doesn't have any impact on battery life. A lot of battery drain is caused by hiccups in Apple's automation pre-jailbreak, or going crazy with a lot of tweaks/modifications at once post-jailbreak.

everything is off when I'm not home, no wifi not bluetooth no location services on iPhone 5 6.1.2, and I had done a fresh restore like the day 6.1.3 came out while the signing window was still open. I have Action Menu, Adblocker
AndroidLock XT
Animer
Badger
Barrel
BytaFont
Color Keyboard
Cyueue
f.lux (not turned on)
Five Icon Dock & Switcher
Giffy,
Gridlock
LiveWire
livePapers (not on)
Lockscreen Clock Hide
Manual Correct
Springtomize 2
Subtle Lock,
Typo 5.
Those are the only things that seem like they would be a battery killer at all.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I had the same on my new IP5 6.02

In the end removed my exchange email acoount and manually added them again.

Also what you can do is go in to safe mode and see if any apps remain in the background even after a reboot, found out that SBSettings process manager does not fully close all apps. Now use Weekillbackground pro.

Also had some data hog iTunes store programs.
If you have Skype check and see in Settings/Skype that is closes immediately after use.

In the end went from 20% per hour to 1% per hour :)

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I had the same on my new IP5 6.02

In the end removed my exchange email acoount and manually added them again.

Also what you can do is go in to safe mode and see if any apps remain in the background even after a reboot, found out that SBSettings process manager does not fully close all apps. Now use Weekillbackground pro.

Also had some data hog iTunes store programs.
If you have Skype check and see in Settings/Skype that is closes immediately after use.

In the end went from 20% per hour to 1% per hour :)

all my apps are closed, and I don't have skype anymore, don't have SBSettings either.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
try removing exchange or other push mail accounts, login out of imessage, icloud, facetime ande reboot.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
iCloud documents was seriously raping my phone. It wasn't until I found the process using top - even though it was inactive (no wifi) and someone mentioned it on reddit.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
iCloud documents was seriously raping my phone. It wasn't until I found the process using top - even though it was inactive (no wifi) and someone mentioned it on reddit.

So what did you do to fix it? Permanently disable it? Of turn it off, reboot, turn it back on? My battery life is solid. I'm at 40% with almost 4.5 hours of usage and 17 hours standby. I'm happy with that but maybe I can squeeze e out some more time by "re calibrating" iCloud documents since one is on and has been on since I DFU restored.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

I'm not sure this is what he means, but there was a document in Pages that would hang in sync on my iPhone. I deleted it, which would not go through at first mind you, and noticed my battery getting steadily better. Could be a placebo effect, but you never know. Try doing that.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Washington
I ended up having crazy battery drain from an app called "Ride" in the app store. It was constantly using location services. Might want to check your app store apps.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Did you have the same problem as the OP and installing that daemon tool corrected your issue?

I just installed it so i have no really way if telling yet

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

----------

I ended up having crazy battery drain from an app called "Ride" in the app store. It was constantly using location services. Might want to check your app store apps.

Data usage keeps the location services icon on the status bar 24/7

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
As far as I know I didn't have anything syncing - or hanging.

"A process called ubd was the main culprit on my phone recently. I had horrible battery issues with it running.

I did a little research and found out that iCloud document syncing is controlled by this process.

Went into my iCloud settings and toggled off Doc Syncing and my battery issues were solved.

I'm still not sure why this process was freaking out. While Instruments was recording my CPU levels ubd was jumping between 60-90% usage.

This all started happening right after the last iCloud outage that took down FaceTime and iMessage for a few hours. "

I turned it off and restarted (to previous poster)

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

"A process called ubd was the main culprit on my phone recently. I had horrible battery issues with it running.

I did a little research and found out that iCloud document syncing is controlled by this process.

Went into my iCloud settings and toggled off Doc Syncing and my battery issues were solved.

I'm still not sure why this process was freaking out. While Instruments was recording my CPU levels ubd was jumping between 60-90% usage.

This all started happening right after the last iCloud outage that took down FaceTime and iMessage for a few hours. "

This setting? ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365882485.660571.jpg
By the way you will be able to do the cropping and draw on the pictures right from tapatalk 2 in the next update. I am in a beta:) the update is in review right now said the developer.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

Thanks for sharing bro. Ill have to run some tests on this process. Thanks for sharing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.