Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So i just suffered a serious hardware failure right now. Had 4 kernel panics within the last few days prior so yeah i think i need a new MLB.

For those of you curious here's a video

Funny enough i'm typing this post from it. Im glad its still alive enough to let me update my backups but i know it'll go crazy again soon enough.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I believe failing RAM is indicated by the three beeps in the POST.

Try buying new RAM to resolve. If you're looking for an excuse to buy a new MacBook, disregard. ;)

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
The three beeps indicates RAM problem. The ram might be faulty or just not seated properly or even it might be the ram controller that crapped out. If the ram is the problem, it is highly unlikely that both stick died at the same time. You could try removing one at a time to see which one is faulty. If you find that one still works, try putting it in the other slot to see if it's the controller that is faulty.

It is just my 3 cents but I would do that before spending anything.

What MBP model is this?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Its not the RAM but might be the controller though. I've tried 3 sets of sticks; the original 4GB kit, an 8GB kit, and a 16GB kit. ALL end up with the same outcome.

Its an Early 11' MBP 8,2 with a 2.2GHz i7 CPU and AMD 6750M.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Not that anybody cares, but the memory controller for the 2nd Gen Core i7 systems (i.e.: Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz) is integrated into the CPU.

At any rate, new logic board is probably needed.

If it doesn't have AppleCare, then it's time for a new unit. Sell that one for parts and go shopping.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Early 2011? Did you take Applecare?

I have a 3yr education parts and labor warranty thankfully.

Not that anybody cares, but the memory controller for the 2nd Gen Core i7 systems (i.e.: Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz) is integrated into the CPU.

If it doesn't have AppleCare, then it's time for a new unit. Sell that one for parts and go shopping.

Indeed. The kernel panic logs all point to the CPU.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah. Just got back from taking it in. Hopefully I get it back fixed and without incident.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm confused about the reasons for this thread? :confused:

Everyone needs to vent sometimes.

I was going to say the same the same thing. That's a logic board replacement though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.