Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoeeTee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Hello everyone!

After years of being a Blackberry user..I decided to switch over to the iPhone 5 with T-Mobile.

I do have doubts about the iPhone, in regards with equlaivent or higher functionality than the Blackberry Bold, I have several questions in hopes of the functions I am looking for, in hopes of achieving through the iPhone.

Here goes nothing!

1) I have a @tmo.blackberry.net email account with Blackberry Bold, is there a way to add that email address as a " New Mail Account " in my iPhone ? I was told its possible plus its my main email I been using for years! If so can someone be humble enough to post the settings to input?

2) With my Blackberry Bold Calendar Items, I would do a One Way Sync to my Outlook Calendar. Once the night ends in the office I would delete my entire Calendar Items on my phone and One Way Sync my Calendar Items to my blackberry.

When I get to work..I delete my Outlook Calendar Items on my computer. Use Desktop Manager to One Way Sync from my device to Outlook,..Once I made changes and the night ends.

I delete my items on my phone, and One Way Sync my calendar items from my computer to my device. Is there a way to do one way syncs to iphone to outlook and vice versa? I don't have a Microsoft Exchange either.

3) I have text messages, emails and messages all allocated in my Blackberry Bold message folder is there a way to transfer all them into my iPhone?

4) Is there a way to use my iPhone as a USB storage and access/view these files browsing through my iPhone like my Blackberry?

Hope someone can really really help me out!

I am going CRAZY!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
1) I have a @tmo.blackberry.net email account with Blackberry Bold, is there a way to add that email address as a " New Mail Account " in my iPhone ? I was told its possible plus its my main email I been using for years! If so can someone be humble enough to post the settings to input?

once you get rid of your blackberry data plan, you lose your blackberry ID and email address. i had blackberry for years and had a blackberry.net email, but never used it for anything important for this exact reason. once you delete your data account, you will lose access to your email address permanently.

2) With my Blackberry Bold Calendar Items, I would do a One Way Sync to my Outlook Calendar. Once the night ends in the office I would delete my entire Calendar Items on my phone and One Way Sync my Calendar Items to my blackberry.

When I get to work..I delete my Outlook Calendar Items on my computer. Use Desktop Manager to One Way Sync from my device to Outlook,..Once I made changes and the night ends.

I delete my items on my phone, and One Way Sync my calendar items from my computer to my device. Is there a way to do one way syncs to iphone to outlook and vice versa? I don't have a Microsoft Exchange either.

not sure about one way sync, but if you add a hotmail, outlook or live account, you can sync contacts, email and calendar i believe. i dont use outlook so im not 100% sure.

3) I have text messages, emails and messages all allocated in my Blackberry Bold message folder is there a way to transfer all them into my iPhone?

i dont think there is a way to do text messages, however if these emails were in your blackberry.net mailbox, i suggest forwarding them to another email client such as gmail or outlook. then once you set that email address on the iphone, those emails will show up in your inbox.

4) Is there a way to use my iPhone as a USB storage and access/view these files browsing through my iPhone like my Blackberry?

not really. when you plug in an iphone to a windows computer, you have the prompt to view files, namely the camera roll. you then have the ability to view the pics and drag/drop them to your computer. however, you will not be able to send pics or other files to the phone like you can with a blackberry or android device. anything you want transferred to the phone, will need to be synced using itunes. i suggest maybe using google drive and an alternative to this.

on a side note, once you get your iphone you will create an apple ID, similar to a blackberry ID. with this, you will get access to icloud. icloud stores/syncs all pictures, contacts, iwork files and its very own email with all your apple devices. i personally switched from gmail to my icloud email, since its very easy and convenient to use and offers push. i suggest maybe considering it since you will be losing your blackberry.net email. i plan on staying with my iphone, so ill be using icloud for as long as they offer it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
once you get rid of your blackberry data plan, you lose your blackberry ID and email address.
Additionally, there's no way for an email client to access that email account. It's tied to your device.

I was told its possible plus its my main email I been using for years! If so can someone be humble enough to post the settings to input?
You should ask the source that told you it's possible then. There are no settings. The account is set up via service books pushed to your BB. Service books don't apply to non-BB devices.

In the future, make sure you rely on "portable" (i.e. accessible from a variety of email clients) email accounts that aren't tied to a device.

I don't have a Microsoft Exchange either.
What type of email account are you using?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i can tell you with 100% certainty that you will lose access to your blackberry.net email forever, once you drop your BB data plan. your BBID will no longer be valid and thats it.

MoeeTee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
once you get rid of your blackberry data plan, you lose your blackberry ID and email address. i had blackberry for years and had a blackberry.net email, but never used it for anything important for this exact reason. once you delete your data account, you will lose access to your email address permanently.

not sure about one way sync, but if you add a hotmail, outlook or live account, you can sync contacts, email and calendar i believe. i dont use outlook so im not 100% sure.

i dont think there is a way to do text messages, however if these emails were in your blackberry.net mailbox, i suggest forwarding them to another email client such as gmail or outlook. then once you set that email address on the iphone, those emails will show up in your inbox.

not really. when you plug in an iphone to a windows computer, you have the prompt to view files, namely the camera roll. you then have the ability to view the pics and drag/drop them to your computer. however, you will not be able to send pics or other files to the phone like you can with a blackberry or android device. anything you want transferred to the phone, will need to be synced using itunes. i suggest maybe using google drive and an alternative to this.

on a side note, once you get your iphone you will create an apple ID, similar to a blackberry ID. with this, you will get access to icloud. icloud stores/syncs all pictures, contacts, iwork files and its very own email with all your apple devices. i personally switched from gmail to my icloud email, since its very easy and convenient to use and offers push. i suggest maybe considering it since you will be losing your blackberry.net email. i plan on staying with my iphone, so ill be using icloud for as long as they offer it.

hey man, thank you for the reply.

I am still having trouble with the calendar transferring. But I found a program CopyTrans where it allows you to import/export calendars from and to iPhone
to Outlook, but a problem is old reoccurring events are appearing. Which is so annoying. What is also weird is that iExplorer, when I plugged in my phone and calendar appears.my old events appear to and they are both nondeletable in both programs.

I also found another program to access my phone as a USB.

And I decided to use my icloud which now has everything, thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.