Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
such as this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=&AID=10446076&PID=3160356&SID=13ejjfpvj7097

Is it worth the bother or are they *****? I am looking to upgrade my white 24" imac but I am worried that it's going to halve the already limited bandwidth to be able to use both and I don't also know how intelligent or reliable it is. This one or other similar concoctions.

So I am looking for some feedback for someone who's been there done that.

Maybe just ditch the whole idea and go with an ssd even at the small size I can afford and centralize storage elsewhere.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
It doesn't halve anything, except for the physical space. You'd connect on of the SSDs instead of the hard drive, and the other one instead of the optical drive.

As you'd need an adapter for that, I'd rather replace the optical drive with the OWC Data Doubler and install a 1TB 2.5" hard drive there.

And the smaller size thing is relative. If your iMac has an 1TB drive right now, the 960GB Crucial M500 wouldn't be that much smaller.

Last edited:

macman34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Oh ok got it.

Then I guess there was an other option that I 've been googling to no avail right now to be able to post it here that actually halved the sata connector and let the odd alone, and kinda load balanced between ssd and hd in the bracket.

Does owc have a solution specifically for imacs? I was aware of the existence of one for the macbooks but does it work for the imacs too?

Good idea though, I might as well ditch the optical on the imac and increase storage this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.