Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Hi, wonder if anyone has solutions for mp4 movies that won't open.

I have a dozen mp4 - MPEG -4 movie files of which some play and some don't. They all have the exact same extension in the 'kind' column, but some won't play at all and just come up with '...not in a format that QuickTime understands'. etc. Why would some be OK and others aren't.

Any ideas, and They won't play in VLC either?

Thanks

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
Just because the extension is '.mp4' doesnt mean the format of the file is the same as another '.mp4' file. Its been a long time since the extension of a media file gave any true indication of its format. You need to check the files attributes (i.e. Video codec, Audio codec, Framerate etc.), compare one of the files that work against one that doesnt. Then download 'Handbrake' and convert.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
have looked at the get info between the two, and the one that doesn't play gives me nothing, under the 'more info', just when opened, but the working one gives that info

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Try open them with VLC - it supports many more codecs than Quicktime do.

MP4 is just a container - It doesn't tell you exactly what kind of codec has been used to encode the movie itself.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.