Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Kayy13
macrumors newbie

Should my next computer be a Mac?

I've been thinking that maaybe i should get a mac computer. I like to do alot of creative things (writing, drawing, photography, maybe even podcasts and youtube videos) and things of that nature, do you think a mac would be useful to me? And if you think it'd be useful, in what ways specifically, and which mac should i get if i should get one? I've got a sony vaio now, its really starting to lag and irritate me. Would it be like switching from an android phone to an iphone?
Kayy13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
joeblow7777
macrumors 6502

What answer do you expect to get to the question, "should I get a Mac?" when you're asking on a Mac forum?
joeblow7777 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Unless you use an App that's specifically available on the Mac platform, I would think you can do anything on a PC, and cheaper if that matters, than on a Mac.

BUT plenty of people purchase things not based on left brain alone.

If you have a modern 1-2 years old VAIO, it shouldn't bother u at all.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayy13 View Post
I've been thinking that maaybe i should get a mac computer. I like to do alot of creative things (writing, drawing, photography, maybe even podcasts and youtube videos) and things of that nature, do you think a mac would be useful to me? And if you think it'd be useful, in what ways specifically, and which mac should i get if i should get one? I've got a sony vaio now, its really starting to lag and irritate me. Would it be like switching from an android phone to an iphone?
There are many reasons to switch to a Mac. Here are the top 5 in my opinion-

1. Mac OS X is very intuitive, efficient, and easy to use
2. Apps are easy to install and use
3. Apple computers are made to last, and are designed very well
4. You don't need to worry about antivirus software and security issues
5. OS X is very friendly with people who do photos, music, videos etc (I do music, so that's one of the reasons I use OS X)

Check out these links-

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16384..._be_a_mac.html
Drew017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew017 View Post
There are many reasons to switch to a Mac. Here are the top 5 in my opinion-

1. Mac OS X is very intuitive, efficient, and easy to use
2. Apps are easy to install and use
3. Apple computers are made to last, and are designed very well
4. You don't need to worry about antivirus software and security issues
5. OS X is very friendly with people who do photos, music, videos etc (I do music, so that's one of the reasons I use OS X)

Check out these links-

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16384..._be_a_mac.html
While I do agree with some of your points, but let's examine them.

1. OS X is not more efficient or easier to use than Windows 7. The jury is still out on Windows 8.

2. While apps are easy to install on OS X, they are no easier to install than Windows 7.

3. I 100% agree on the laptop front. Apple laptops are VERY well made.

4. Agree, but there are anti virus apps for OS X. Linux is far more resistant than either OS X or Windows.

5. OOB, yes, but pretty much all the great Adobe apps are available for Windows 7 for picture and movie editing.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:25 AM   #6
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'd say yes.

Apple makes the better PC format.

An osx pc will adjusts be greater than a windows pc
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:12 AM   #7
XoFu
macrumors member

Quote:
When in doubt..... get a Mac!
But beware this is an one way ticket
XoFu is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:19 AM   #8
sostoobad
macrumors regular

Here is my take
1) the OS is better
2) No viruses, freeze ups etc
3) resale, is very strong.

And that brings me to.....who are buying these $800-1,000 PCs when the resale is basically zero in a very short time, me no gets that.
sostoobad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
While I do agree with some of your points, but let's examine them.

1. OS X is not more efficient or easier to use than Windows 7. The jury is still out on Windows 8.

2. While apps are easy to install on OS X, they are no easier to install than Windows 7.

3. I 100% agree on the laptop front. Apple laptops are VERY well made.

4. Agree, but there are anti virus apps for OS X. Linux is far more resistant than either OS X or Windows.

5. OOB, yes, but pretty much all the great Adobe apps are available for Windows 7 for picture and movie editing.
1. How is Windows 7 more efficient? There is no Mission control/ Exposé feature, or launchpad, or dock, or easy gestures (I know there are some in W7, but IMO they are a little more devoted in OS X)

2. I really meant to say "apps are easily available" meaning you can go on the MAS, built right into OS X, and access many apps for Mac, that install and work seamlessly within the OS

4. Although there is antivirus software, that definitely means that you do not need to use it. Although there is some OS X malware that exists, they mostly infect Macs through security holes in Java etc. There are no known viruses out in the wild for Mac OS X. That being said, OP you can always download a utility called Onyx. It is useful for keeping you OS running clean and fast, and is very safe to use…

5. Yes, the Adobe suite is available for Windows as well, but you miss out on Apple's apps for Mac like Aperture (image editing), Final Cut (video), Logic (recording), etc, as well as the many other apps available on the Mac App Store.

OP in my opinion, a Mac would be a great next computer for you, but it is really your choice. Maybe do some research and compare prices with PC and Mac. Then you should go to the closest Apple store to you and get on one of the many Macs that are out on the floor and just play with it, or maybe get an employee to help you learn Mac. Hopefully you will like it but that is something for you to decide
Drew017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
maflynn

I'd say OSX is more intuitive then win8, but I will say win7 is better at a number of tasks then OSX.

I also agree with the other posts, about malware, its generally not a problem especially if you practice safe computing habits, i.e., don't install anything you're not totally sure.

I use both LightRoom and Apple's Aperture to manage my photography and I think the Mac Platform is the best. I'm not sure of a MacBook Air is the best machine if you are dealing with lots of photos. I think a MBP may be better suited since you have more storage options
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Would it be like switching from an android phone to an iphone?
Kind of.
If you already have alot invested in software for Windows, I'd say buy a faster Windows machine. I use both and feel Mac OS is more fluid and friendly. There is a bit of an unlearning/relearning curve as there are some nuanced differences. And for what you say you want to do, a MacBook Pro would be the laptop for you.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:47 AM   #12
shalliday
macrumors member

As a long time Windows user who bought my first Mac last year, the following are a few differences I noticed so far which maybe worth considering:

Upgrading to a newer version of Windows OS always requires a brand new install and re-installation of all of your existing software. Basically wiping out your existing version and starting from scratch. When I upgraded my MacMini from Lion to Mountain Lion, it was a simple one click upgrade and everything worked. With the Mac OS, there are far fewer and less frequent updates to apply and its a simple, easy to use one click process.

If needed, with the Mac you can use bootcamp or virtualization software to run both Mac and Windows software, giving you the best of both worlds. I use Parrallels on my MacMini to run Windows 7 and it works seamlessly without a hitch. Very cool!

While you pay a premium for Apple hardware, on average MAC software is generally less expensive.

As for the user interface, while both are user friendly, I would have to say Apple OS is more intuitive and a little easier to navigate and use.

Hope this is of some help to you in making your decision.

Last edited by shalliday; Apr 14, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
shalliday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalliday View Post
Upgrading to a newer version of Windows OS always requires a brand new install and re-installation of all of your existing software.
Wow-wow,let's be clear. If ur applying service packs or security updates u shouldn't have to start from scratch,UNLESS u wanto clear junk apps installed since anyways.

I notice OSX releases major revisions more often vs Win which has more staying power. Lots of users have stayed put with XP and how old is that? PLUS I notice OSX apps, once a new OSX is available then they will say, have to be re-certify for the new OS vs an old Win app where one can almost guarantee it will continue to run on the new OS wo problem, albeit wo new features but often users don't need them.

My .02.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Bowcaps
macrumors member

Quote:
3 years ago, I had a Sony Experia, Sony Vaio Laptop - now I have iPhone, MBA & rMBP and a 27" iMac - the answer is simple - YES, and they all work seamlessly with each other.

HTH
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:18 PM   #15
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalec View Post
Yes you absolutely should. The fact you are posting this question on a macintosh rumors site is proof in itself.
Ask the Pope if Catholicism is good.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:29 PM   #16
macalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Ask the Pope if Catholicism is good.
I am not catholic.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:44 PM   #17
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowcaps View Post
3 years ago, I had a Sony Experia, Sony Vaio Laptop - now I have iPhone, MBA & rMBP and a 27" iMac - the answer is simple - YES, and they all work seamlessly with each other.

HTH
ha ha same here-had an xperia,vaio-now iPhone and Mac-pretty sure will stay this way for a long time to come
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:16 PM   #18
shalliday
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Wow-wow,let's be clear. If ur applying service packs or security updates u shouldn't have to start from scratch,UNLESS u wanto clear junk apps installed since anyways.
I was not referring to service packs or security updates but rather a newer generation of Windows such as upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8, which does require you to start from scratch. Thank you for the clarification.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Upgrading to a newer version of Windows OS always requires a brand new install and re-installation of all of your existing software. Basically wiping out your existing version and starting from scratch.
No it doesn't unless you were going from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 for example. You can easily upgrade Windows 7 ro Windows 8 if you don't want a clean build.

A clean OS install is preferable even on Mac's. I've never been comfy with all the crap carried over from a previous OS install so a 'clean' build is my personal preference on any platform.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:01 AM   #20
page404
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'd say OSX is more intuitive then win8, but I will say win7 is better at a number of tasks then OSX.

I also agree with the other posts, about malware, its generally not a problem especially if you practice safe computing habits, i.e., don't install anything you're not totally sure.

I use both LightRoom and Apple's Aperture to manage my photography and I think the Mac Platform is the best. I'm not sure of a MacBook Air is the best machine if you are dealing with lots of photos. I think a MBP may be better suited since you have more storage options
Just curious, is it just my workflow of type of tasks, that makes me find that OS X is MUCH more task supporting than Win7? I use them both regularly, and having been a Windows user since W3.1, Win7 is still annoying me to death. Task switching is laggy and not user-friendly (all those semi-translucent windows and indistinguishable app thumbnails), responsiveness in Explorer is unbelievably slow. Not to mention all the updates and patches which never seem to make your system better.
Oh sorry, I was ranting. No really, what tasks work better for you in Win 7 than in ML?
page404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:18 AM   #21
shalliday
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
No it doesn't unless you were going from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 for example. You can easily upgrade Windows 7 ro Windows 8 if you don't want a clean build.
Somewhat off-topic but that is news to me. How do you go about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 without doing a clean install?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:15 AM   #22
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Somewhat off-topic but that is news to me. How do you go about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 without doing a clean install?
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.272001400

They only sell Windows 8 as an upgrade not as a standalone product, although you can technically do a clean install with the media:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...all-part-1.htm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:20 PM   #23
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
They only sell Windows 8 as an upgrade not as a standalone product, although you can technically do a clean install with the media:
Wow-wow-wow. Lets be clear one more time.

When we say "upgrade" lets means one installs the new OS on top and NO NEED to re-install any App AND all previous settings and preferences are preserved,

and NOT upgrade = a cheaper OS offering, but let see you if u qualify by noting the presence of a previous OS on the HD.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:12 PM   #24
dbroncos78087
macrumors regular

As long as you aren't disillusioned one way of the other, you will like it. If you expect it never to crash and think its completely immune to viruses, then you'll be disappointed. But I have never gotten a virus or really a continuing popup and I can count the number of times it has fully crashed (not just an app crashing) on one hand.
dbroncos78087 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

I made the switch (also from a Vaio) 2 years ago and have never looked back. At the time I needed a new lightweight but decently powered laptop for travelling with on work trips. I considered Windows laptops etc but settled on an MBA.

I'm less creatively minded than you but do like photography and the only proviso I would make is that MBAs aren't great for photography - little storage space and small screen. Those issues are t insurmountae but they do affect use as a laptop. That said, I have had the machine for 2 years and would never go back. I'm looking to get an iMac soon - partly for better photography work.

I have had no trouble with OS X and though I still use Windows at work, would choose OS X if it came down to one or the other.
Moccasin is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air