Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:38 AM   #1
silt
macrumors newbie

Air 2012 - Beer Spillage

Hi,

I spilled approximately 50ml of beer on my Air's keyboard yesterday. I immediately put it on the side and started wiping the remaining liquid off with a tissue. The notebook works just fine. Around 10 keys got a bit soft and there's the slight smell of beer...

Is lifting the keycaps and cleaning the buttons with an alcohol-based cleaning kit gonna help? I am afraid one day it will just stop working. Any other preventive measures?

Thanks!

Last edited by silt; Apr 14, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
silt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:03 AM   #2
JHUFrank
macrumors Demi-God

one day it may stop working. Ask my wife who spilled about 50ml of Koolaid on her 2008 MBP. With her the laptop quit working on battery.
With a MBA you are sort of stuck with fixes. Pulling it apart and hand drying it would be a task. Good luck
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:46 AM   #3
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

Having the machine taken apart and cleaned ASAP is your only real course of action. Beer is very high in sugar and causes nasty corrosion, really, it's only a matter of time... What you have done so far (putting on its side, etc...), will not help long term.
G-Mo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:10 AM   #4
silt
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help!

how much will it approximately cost to have it taken apart and cleaned? Is it gonna save my warranty? I cannot do much by myself except taking off the keycaps and cleaning the mechanism manually.

Isn't aluminium supposed to be corrosion-resistant though? Also, there is a plastic shield separating the keyboard from the internals. I thought that as long as the spillage is not too extensive, the shield should keep the liquid away until it dries out?

Last edited by silt; Apr 14, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
silt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:23 PM   #5
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by silt View Post
how much will it approximately cost to have it taken apart and cleaned? Is it gonna save my warranty? I cannot do much by myself except taking off the keycaps and cleaning the mechanism manually.

Isn't aluminium supposed to be corrosion-resistant though? Also, there is a plastic shield separating the keyboard from the internals. I thought that as long as the spillage is not too extensive, the shield should keep the liquid away until it dries out?
One or more of the liquid contact sensors inside the machine have likely already been activated, this voids your warranty. In order to restore your warranty you would need to have all liquid contacted components replaced (top case, logic board?, battery?). If its just the top case, it's only a few hundred bucks, if it's the logic board it's not worth it... Just have it cleaned and hope for the best!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
flyshop
macrumors newbie

Book Arc

My MacBook Air is connected to a Samsung Monitor. The laptop sits in a BookArc made by Twelve South and is sitting vertically like a closed clamshell.
I use a Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard. The BookArc is sold at Apple for $40.00 for the Air version. The keyboard is $70.00 and a lot easier to replace than a new computer.
flyshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyshop View Post
My MacBook Air is connected to a Samsung Monitor. The laptop sits in a BookArc made by Twelve South and is sitting vertically like a closed clamshell.
I use a Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard. The BookArc is sold at Apple for $40.00 for the Air version. The keyboard is $70.00 and a lot easier to replace than a new computer.
I use an mStand by Rain Design and same wireless keyboard.

(Also use a Samsung as well as an older Acer monitor.)

Last edited by G-Mo; Apr 14, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air