Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Cisherwood321
macrumors newbie

Installing Tiger On PowerMac G5 Hard Drive Issues

I have encountered an issue while trying to install Tiger from a DVD to a Powermac G5 2.0GHz. After I insert the disc, it boots fine and loads up the Tiger installer. After I select a language, I continue until I must a location to install Mac OS X. The problem is, no hard detected. I cannot select anything from this menu. So I reboot and in the installer use the Disk Utility Tool to try to format the drive, and it still isn't displayed. I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly, and I don't know what the issue is. Please help, I will give you any other details you need. Thanks!
Cisherwood321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2
drorpheus
macrumors regular

what kind of hard drive is it? make model size?
drorpheus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:44 PM   #3
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisherwood321 View Post
I have encountered an issue while trying to install Tiger from a DVD to a Powermac G5 2.0GHz. After I insert the disc, it boots fine and loads up the Tiger installer. After I select a language, I continue until I must a location to install Mac OS X. The problem is, no hard detected. I cannot select anything from this menu. So I reboot and in the installer use the Disk Utility Tool to try to format the drive, and it still isn't displayed. I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly, and I don't know what the issue is. Please help, I will give you any other details you need. Thanks!
You need a SATA card for SATA 3 drives.
This happens because the mobo's sata controller cannot aggregate link bandwidth with your hard drive.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
This happens because the mobo's sata controller cannot aggregate link bandwidth with your hard drive.
Not always.

OP: Try the disk utility again. Boot up, wipe, x out of Disk Utility, and see if it still doesn't show up.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Some SATA III drives, work just fine in a G5 if they are set to SATA I or II mode. However, most don't work at all. That being said, we still don't know what kind of hard drive the OP has. It could be the stock OEM drive for all we know.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:54 PM   #6
rabidz7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisherwood321 View Post
What hard drive is this.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Frost7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Incorrect. Depends solely on the drive, but most SATA-3 devices are supposed to be backward compatible with SATA-1 and SATA-2.

Both of my G5's drives are SATA-3 and worked straight out of the box on the logic board's SATA-1 controller.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:56 PM   #8
rabidz7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost7 View Post
Incorrect. Depends solely on the drive, but most SATA-3 devices are supposed to be backward compatible with SATA-1 and SATA-2.

Both of my G5's drives are SATA-3 and worked straight out of the box on the logic board's SATA-1 controller.
Some drives automatically throttle the link speed when they detect there is an a link aggregation issue; some drives do not throttle. Some drives that do not throttle automatically can be made to throttle with jumpers.

If the drive does not throttle automatically and has no jumpers then a SATA card is needed.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs