Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I have been able to get this to work on my Mac Pro and iMac that have Magic TrackPads using:

Code:
sudo defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad Clicking -int 1

But this doesn't work on my MacBook Air. All 3 are running the latest 10.8.3.

What am I missing?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I have copied these commands from https://github.com/mathiasbynens/dotfiles/blob/master/.osx

Code:
# TRACKPAD: enable tap to click for this user and for the login screen
defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad Clicking -bool true
defaults -currentHost write NSGlobalDomain com.apple.mouse.tapBehavior -int 1
defaults write NSGlobalDomain com.apple.mouse.tapBehavior -int 1

Note that you're using the first command, but not with a boolean key.

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Cool, that is the first I have seen that command with a boolean... Will give it a shot...

TiSiE

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Solved!

As this is the newest thread I've found on that topic, I decided to post my solution here.

To enable the tap to click on the login screen in Mac OS X 10.8.4, I've done the following:

1. Set your desired preferences in your user account.
2. Start a terminal.
3. Make yourself root (sudo su -) You should be in the directory /var/root
4. cd to Library/Preferences and backup the file com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist if it exists.
5. cp the same file from your user account into this folder.
(e.g.: "cp ~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist /var/root/Library/Preferences")

Tap to click works!

It could be sufficient to just type
Code:
sudo defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad Clicking -bool true

But I have not tested this.

I hope I could help. :)

nbolton

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
That didn't work for me. I'm sure it copied because now the one in var/root... is exactly the same from my profile.

Works for me! You need to restart for it to take effect.

I'm running 10.9.2.

10.9.5 here.

----------

It could be sufficient to just type
Code:
sudo defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad Clicking -bool true

But I have not tested this.

You should put this at the top of your post (or its unlikely to ever be tested).

Ashkaan

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
1. Set your desired preferences in your user account.
2. Start a terminal.
3. Make yourself root (sudo su -) You should be in the directory /var/root
4. cd to Library/Preferences and backup the file com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist if it exists.
5. cp the same file from your user account into this folder.
(e.g.: "cp ~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist /var/root/Library/Preferences")

Tap to click works!

This does not work on 10.10.

Any solutions?

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
There is another way to do this now... If you enable the root account then log in as root, change the trackpad to tap to click. Be sure to disable root again...

mobydick01

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
There is another way to do this now... If you enable the root account then log in as root, change the trackpad to tap to click. Be sure to disable root again...

I logged in as root, opened the Trackpad preferences in System Preferences, and found that tap to click was already enabled. Anyway, for good measure, I disabled tap to click from the preference pane and then re-enabled it. Then I restarted. I still can't tap to click from the login screen.

Am I missing something? Can you be more specific?

EDIT: P.S. I have a mid-2013 Air running 10.10.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.