Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dunder09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hey guys, I am looking into getting a late 2012 imac. I would be doing some editing on it with fcpx. Would the baseline 21.5" do the job, or should i invest in some upgrades when i purchase it? I'm not doing anything hardcore, just a short film or music video here and there. Thanks.

jpmorais

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2013
CT, USA
Hey guys, I am looking into getting a late 2012 imac. I would be doing some editing on it with fcpx. Would the baseline 21.5" do the job, or should i invest in some upgrades when i purchase it? I'm not doing anything hardcore, just a short film or music video here and there. Thanks.

Things to consider:

Do you need the GPU Power? if you do the 650m is much better then the 640m

Get at least the fusion drive, it is a must. Unless you wanna crack your iMac open and put a ssd your self.

Another thing is to consider is ram, upgrade to 16GB. Again Unless you wanna crack your iMac open and remove the logic Board to upgrade your self.

dunder09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hmm, well to be honest I don't know much about computers. So as far as RAM, GPU, i5 vs. i7, etc. I don't really know what I need or what would be a significant upgrade. I currently have a late 2009 15" baseline MBP that I use for Final Cut Express and while it's not very fast it gets the job done for what I need. So I would imagine a baseline 2012 iMac would already be a noticeable improvement right?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've got a high-end 2009 iMac and use FCPX on it (or a 2011 MBP) and both do fine. I can't imagine that a 2012 iMac, baseline, would be slower.

Frankly, what matters more than anything else using FCPX is the processor. Try to get the fastest one you can afford. RAM and Fusion drive don't really matter because your system will be 100% limited by the processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.