Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TX328F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Texas
I just realized that the unlocked version of the HTC One is available for preorder in the HTC website. I'm thinking about selling my AT&T iPhone 5 and switching to the dark side :).
The only - minor - issue I'm aware of, I will need an adapter because the iPhone 5 uses a nano-SIM while the HTC One has a micro-SIM slot. Otherwise, it is my understanding that I should be able to switch phones without any inconvenience, and the unlocked phone would makes things easier if I later decide to change carrier.
Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just realized that the unlocked version of the HTC One is available for preorder in the HTC website. I'm thinking about selling my AT&T iPhone 5 and switching to the dark side :).
The only - minor - issue I'm aware of, I will need an adapter because the iPhone 5 uses a nano-SIM while the HTC One has a micro-SIM slot. Otherwise, it is my understanding that I should be able to switch phones without any inconvenience, and the unlocked phone would makes things easier if I later decide to change carrier.
Thoughts? Am I missing something?

You can pick up a blank microsim in any shop for you carrier. Simply ring them and tell them you want to activate it, and they'll do it over the phone. When your call has ended. Hang up swap sims and reboot device. Hey presto done. Simples.....

And yep i went from iPhone 5 to the one. If you have lots of content on your iphone then HTC sync can restore from your last backup and put all your contacts, photos, wallpapers, messages onto your new phone for you.

Great phone, check out the bigger thread for more info as it's all been covered.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
never switching to HTC. I am always Apple

I don't understand this kind of mentality...

Why be loyal to any particular company. Do you think if you have been a mac user for 25 years like I have it buys you any favors from Apple for your loyalty.

No. Your just a insignificant sales number statistic to them like me.

In fact in my years of using macintosh and helping others on various forums and fora the only company that has ever thanked me and actually taken notice is Microsoft. So how do you like those apples ?

Trying new things makes companies try harder to improve.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I am not denying that. However I think that Apple makes the best product.

Thanks

:apple::apple:

Why be loyal to any particular company. Do you think if you have been a mac user for 25 years like I have it buys you any favors from Apple for your loyalty.

In fact in my years of using macintosh and helping others on various forums and fora the only company that has ever thanked me and actually taken notice is Microsoft. So how do you like those apples ?

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Is the unlocked version lte capable? Thinking of picking one up to mess around with. I'll keep my iPhone 5 for now too

TX328F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Texas
According to the HTC site, the unlocked version has these specs:
This HTC One® unlocked version comes with: 32GB of onboard memory and is SIM unlocked. - HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz - GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz - LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

While the specs for the standard, locked version lists the following LTE bands:
US (AT&T): 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz
US (TMO): 1700/AWS MHz
US (Sprint): 1900 MHz

Based on this I would expect it to work with AT&T and Sprint, while I'm not completely sure about T-Mobile.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

Me either... it's all Apple in my house except I don't use an iPhone anymore. If Apple brought out a new iPhone I felt was better for my needs I would switch back.

Not interested in HTC anymore and experiencing their locked bootloader crap!

iPad5

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2013
HTC tried too hard with the HTC One.. It's nowhere as good as the iPhone 5, let alone 5S

iPad5

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2013
How long have you used one for? What were your reasons for saying the iPhone is better?

First of all I really dislike where the speaker grills are placed, just make this supposedly beautiful device looks ugly. Secondly, the build quality is nowhere as good. The speakers can easily get peeled off, and the sides are made out of plastic (so much for calling these devices premium, sigh....). Lastly, I already had an awful experience dealing with HTC for warranty claims..

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
According to the HTC site, the unlocked version has these specs:
This HTC One® unlocked version comes with: 32GB of onboard memory and is SIM unlocked. - HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz - GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz - LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

While the specs for the standard, locked version lists the following LTE bands:
US (AT&T): 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz
US (TMO): 1700/AWS MHz
US (Sprint): 1900 MHz

Based on this I would expect it to work with AT&T and Sprint, while I'm not completely sure about T-Mobile.

Definitely wouldn't work for Sprint as Sprint is a CDMA network.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
iPad5 said:
First of all I really dislike where the speaker grills are placed, just make this supposedly beautiful device looks ugly

Subjective. Granted you may indeed not like where they are placed.

iPad5 said:
The speakers can easily get peeled off

So you watched a video of someone dropping the device or such - that does not mean the speaker grill is easily peeled off. It's clear you actually haven't used the device in reality to make such a ridiculous claim, because if you had you would know that the statement you just made is fallacious.

iPad5 said:
Lastly, I already had an awful experience dealing with HTC for warranty claims.

Tell that to the folks that were refused iPhone repairs under warranty by Apple when their faulty 'water sensor' triggered by ambient humidity and not contact with water.

Awful warranty service can happen by any company.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Subjective. Granted you may indeed not like where they are placed.

So you watched a video of someone dropping the device or such - that does not mean the speaker grill is easily peeled off. It's clear you actually haven't used the device in reality to make such a ridiculous claim, because if you had you would know that the statement you just made is fallacious.

Tell that to the folks that were refused iPhone repairs under warranty by Apple when their faulty 'water sensor' triggered by ambient humidity and not contact with water.

Awful warranty service can happen by any company.

My thoughts exactly...I'm sure the poster has never even seen one in real life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.