Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
aPple nErd
macrumors 65816

Cool Who feels like me about the 3?

Who has the 3, and thinks its better than the 4? I like it because it runs ios 5, and feel like people with the 4 think that their iPad is way better than ours.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:01 PM   #2
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Who has the 3, and thinks its better than the 4? I like it because it runs ios 5, and feel like people with the 4 think that their iPad is way better than ours.
I have the iPad 3. I am quite please with it. However, the iPad 4 is clearly superior (in my opinion). If iPad 4 people think their iPad is better than ours, then they have good reason to think that way
palpatine is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular

I have a 3rd gen and I'd definitely prefer a 4th, but I don't see the point in upgrading at this point. iOS 5 wasn't that much better of a performer (not to mention I already have iOS 6 on my 3).
Infinite Jest is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
I have the iPad 3. I am quite please with it. However, the iPad 4 is clearly superior (in my opinion). If iPad 4 people think their iPad is better than ours, then they have good reason to think that way
Aside from a faster CPU for gaming, what does the iPad 4 have that the iPad 3 doesn't?

I'm on an iPad 2, which is why I'm asking.
DesertEagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
WeegieMac

I wanted an iPad for two years and waited for the 3rd gen before taking the leap.

It runs smooth and fast, runs all apps I need quickly, and at the end of the day I'm happy and grateful to have an iPad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Aside from a faster CPU for gaming, what does the iPad 4 have that the iPad 3 doesn't?

The Lightning Port.
WeegieMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:12 PM   #6
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Well,it has an HD camera, makes a big difference if you video call, the new connector,say whatever people say, I find it much more convinient than the older 30 pin connector.

Plus the iPad 3rd Gen basically has the same CPU as the iPad 2,which is now more than two years old,it will get significantly behind than 4th gen in the not so distant future.

That said, if one has an iPad 3rd gen,4th gen does not feel much of a difference as of now.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:14 PM   #7
srsub3
macrumors 6502

For what I need iPad 3 does everything without any problem, so for me it is equal to the 4th... don't need to change.... same display, overall good battery and fast wifi.... I don.t carry it away so I don't need Lte....
srsub3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Google it. I know comparisons have been made with the leader being the 4.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:18 PM   #9
ct2k7
macrumors 603

The iPad 4 does not provide me with a sufficient reason to upgrade. I mean, browsing website and general application performance between both are fine for my needs.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'll never understand why it actually matters. Sometimes I feel like people ask these questions are simply trying to justify what they do or don't have. I'm happy with what I have. If not, I'll work harder and buy something else. I don't associate with people who try to make others feel less if they don't own the latest.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:29 PM   #11
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Google it. I know comparisons have been made with the leader being the 4.
I have already googled it, my friend, and the only results (of significance) that I could see was the different CPU and better cam. All the comparisons I have seen are about the difference in hardware-specs. My question is more about differences under practical use, which is why I mentioned gaming performance. It was the only obvious difference that I could think of.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:43 PM   #12
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I have already googled it, my friend, and the only results (of significance) that I could see was the different CPU and better cam. All the comparisons I have seen are about the difference in hardware-specs. My question is more about differences under practical use, which is why I mentioned gaming performance. It was the only obvious difference that I could think of.
Hi. Longer battery life, faster performance, faster recharging, maintains charge with a heavy load, and runs cooler in some use cases. It's not worth an upgrade from the 3 (for me), but it is still undeniably superior in performance. If I was upgrading from a 2, or if I was getting my first tablet, the 4 would be my choice without question. Of course, I am waiting now for the 5
palpatine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
ditzy
macrumors 65816

If you have an iPad 3 I don't think that it is worth it to upgrade, just my opinion. But the 4 is better, faster, better camera, new connector, though not sure last item is actually an improvement.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:16 PM   #14
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi. Longer battery life, faster performance, faster recharging, maintains charge with a heavy load, and runs cooler in some use cases. It's not worth an upgrade from the 3 (for me), but it is still undeniably superior in performance. If I was upgrading from a 2, or if I was getting my first tablet, the 4 would be my choice without question. Of course, I am waiting now for the 5
Thanks for the information, I needed to be sure that there was a significant difference between them, other than what I can guess from reading the spec sheets and (more or less) inconclusive tests. Like you, I have actually been waiting for the 5, but if it takes too long (i.e. it's not out by mid-summer), I'll just get a 4 instead.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:26 PM   #15
5enohpi
macrumors member

Not quite sure what the difference is between the 3 and the 4
5enohpi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:34 PM   #16
3rd Rock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5enohpi View Post
Not quite sure what the difference is between the 3 and the 4
Google is really your friend

A6X processor

The biggest difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 is a processor that produces twice the speed both with graphics and pure processing power.

Upgraded Cameras

The back-facing camera is still a 5 MP iSight that has basic features like face detection, backside illumination, five-elements lens and hybrid IR filter. But the front-facing camera has been upgraded to provide 720p HD video and the ability to take 1.2 MP photos. And a key detail in the upgrade comes with the A6X processor, which has improved signal processing to help photos look sharper and take advantage of the Retina Display.

Better Wi-Fi, Wider 4G LTE

The new Wi-Fi technology built into the iPad 4 can also provide a significant speed increase. The dual-band capability, which accepts 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11n signals, allows for "theoretical" download speeds up to 150 Mbps.

What's that mean? The vast majority of us aren't going to hit anywhere near 150 Mbps, but for those with a dual-band router, this is very good news. The iPad taking full advantage of dual-band technology means a faster, more responsive iPad when downloading information from the web. The faster processor is great, but most of the time, mobile devices are limited by their weakest link. No matter how fast the iPad can process information, it has to get that information first, and getting it faster can make a big difference.

Lightning Connector

The iPad 4 also moves the iPad from the old 30-pin connector to the Lightning connector.
3rd Rock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:34 PM   #17
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:
iPad 4 running iOS 6 still runs better than iPad 3 on iOS 5.

so...
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:49 PM   #18
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks for the information, I needed to be sure that there was a significant difference between them, other than what I can guess from reading the spec sheets and (more or less) inconclusive tests. Like you, I have actually been waiting for the 5, but if it takes too long (i.e. it's not out by mid-summer), I'll just get a 4 instead.
Glad I could help. This is a good situation to be in, because the 3 really is a great tablet. I can wait as long as it takes for the 5. I've been seriously considering Android (as I do every time I upgrade), but besides some better aspects of the Android OS, and a few apps that I prefer in their Android incarnations, the iPad is an obvious winner (for my use case). If they make the expected case changes to the 5, it's going to be quite a nice update, and I am pretty excited about it.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Is the iPad 3 heavier than the forth? and doesnt the iPad 3 get a lot hotter than the 4? These are some difference I have heard other people mention, and was always curious.

I only have a lowly iPad 2.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:56 PM   #20
macalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Listen i have the 2, and think its better than the 3 or 4. Quite frankly it does not run as hot, it is noticeably thinner, and the battery is better. I am still using it after 2 years, it works fine, and I am not sure I would even upgrade once the 5 is out.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:57 PM   #21
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
Is the iPad 3 heavier than the forth? and doesnt the iPad 3 get a lot hotter than the 4? These are some difference I have heard other people mention, and was always curious.

I only have a lowly iPad 2.
The weight is the same. The temperature depends on your use case. Neither the three nor the four have been terribly hot for me. But, if you are a heavy gamer, maybe you have a different experience. Either way, these are all things Google can answer for you...

There is nothing lowly about the 2. In fact, it gets the best battery life of any iPad in actual usage. I prefer a Retina display, but if you don't mind the screen on the 2, then you have an excellent device
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:57 PM   #22
macalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The weight is the same. The temperature depends on your use case. Neither the three nor the four have been terribly hot for me. But, if you are a heavy gamer, maybe you have a different experience. Either way, these are all things Google can answer for you...

There is nothing lowly about the 2. In fact, it gets the best battery life of any iPad in actual usage. I prefer a Retina display, but if you don't mind the screen on the 2, then you have an excellent device
I really agree with you--- it really gets the best battery life! In addition you only notice the screen difference when you have them side by side. For example I dont remember what my iphone 3gs looked like anymore, my eyes got used to the retina, but if I were to go back to the gs, I would notice.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:01 PM   #23
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalec View Post
Listen i have the 2, and think its better than the 3 or 4. Quite frankly it does not run as hot, it is noticeably thinner, and the battery is better. I am still using it after 2 years, it works fine, and I am not sure I would even upgrade once the 5 is out.
the iPad 2 is noticeably thinner??? LOL. it's 3/5 of a mm thinner

i think you meant to say weight, which i do agree with you. having used an iPad 2 for about a year, when i went to the iPad 3 i could immediately notice the extra weight. we're not talking about a huge weight difference, but for something you are holding for a long period of time it becomes noticeable. as steve jobs said, when something is 1.5 lbs even a 10% reduction in weight makes a HUGE difference (when he was presenting the iPad 2 in comparison to the iPad 1)

Last edited by Medic311; Apr 14, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:03 PM   #24
macalec
macrumors 6502

You are correct, I was referring to the weight lol. It is noticeably lighter and I like the increased battery. I had purchased a 3 last year and returned it because of the weight and heat. I dont think the 3 or 4 are the best ipads to have come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
the iPad 2 is noticeably thinner??? LOL. it's 3/5 of a mm thicker.

i think you meant to say weight, which i do agree with you. having used an iPad 2 for about a year, when i went to the iPad 3 i could immediately notice the extra weight. we're not talking about a huge weight difference, but for something you are holding for a long period of time it becomes noticeable. as steve jobs said, when something is 1.5 lbs even a 10% reduction in weight makes a HUGE difference (when he was presenting the iPad 2 in comparison to the iPad 1)
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:11 PM   #25
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

The difference between the 3 & 4 for 99% of users is nothing. The changes in the iPad 4 were very little.

My theory is that they made little changes so that everybody goes out and buys the iPad mini. iPad 4 sales have been considerably weaker.

Then the all new iPad 5 comes out with the new form factor and boom! Every puppet goes out and gets the new iPad 5!

I work in a reseller and I look at the iPad 4 next to the mini everyday and the design looks very outdated.
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad