Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tails1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Thinking about changing before my MBP loses too much value and I'm a fanboiiii! I know a bit about computers but get confused with GHz, generally I'm more interested in using the thing than the internals.

Is this MBA both with 4gb RAM

1.7GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

more powerful than this MBP

2.26 GHZ Core2Duo with 8Gb of RAM.

Mostly web email typing etc, but I do use sketchup, autocad and PS weekly but only light stuff.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Definitely more powerful, but the RAM might slow you down. The SSD will help.

tails1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Do you think the RAM will be noticeably slower as I'm aware you cant upgrade the MBA.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, 4GB is a bit on the low side nowadays. But even with less RAM, the MBA is much faster than that MBP.

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
Thinking about changing before my MBP loses too much value and I'm a fanboiiii! I know a bit about computers but get confused with GHz, generally I'm more interested in using the thing than the internals.

Is this MBA both with 4gb RAM

1.7GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

more powerful than this MBP

2.26 GHZ Core2Duo with 8Gb of RAM.

Mostly web email typing etc, but I do use sketchup, autocad and PS weekly but only light stuff.

I have the same MBP 2009 8G/120 SSD and thinking to go for the MBA. Not sure if i5 or i7 but I'm planning to max out the RAM. After all it only increases the price in about 100 € (or $). Storage you can use external, but you'll use the same soldered RAM until you sell or the MBA dies. But I might be thinking this the wrong way.

tails1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
thanks I'll have to do some RAM research and have a think about real world usage.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I went from a 2008 MBP with C2D 2.4ghz and 4GB RAM to a 2011 MBA i5 4GB. The speed difference was huge. CPU almost twice as fast, but it feels much faster because of the SSD. Since the new MBA's are even faster and they can have 8GB RAM, you should notice a substantial difference.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
The SSD is the big difference. My MBA is nearly 3 years old and I can really tell the difference in processing as its a C2D. But storage io is still really fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.