Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hassoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
hi, i want to create a navigation/map based app for my school also including indoors navigation. Is it possible to create my own map using existing apple libraries? can anybody suggest documentation, tutorials, books, videos, or even a hint of how to implement that? i worked a little bit with location and map kit but it seems that i can't achieve that using them, or am i wrong? thanks!

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
hi, i want to create a navigation/map based app for my school also including indoors navigation. Is it possible to create my own map using existing apple libraries? can anybody suggest documentation, tutorials, books, videos, or even a hint of how to implement that? i worked a little bit with location and map kit but it seems that i can't achieve that using them, or am i wrong? thanks!

In a word, no.

Apple's map kit does not let you use your own map contents.

There are third party libraries that do mapping with arbitrary map libraries.

There is one called route-me, hosted on Google.

Beware that generating map data for it would be a big undertaking.

Another issue is that the GPS's in Apple's devices are not the greatest, and even a really good GPS does not work well indoors.

You are likely to not get any GPS signal at all in a commercial building, with it's metal framing and likely florescent lighting.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The service I mentioned but still can't remember much about used Wifi instead of GPS to determine position, meaning it worked indoors (but required configuration so it could determine what signals corresponded to what location in a building.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, that's exactly it. I had been searching for "Map" in the MR archives. In hindsight, I feel silly for having thought it would have had "Mapping" in the title – "Mobile Location Positioning" makes a lot more sense.

Googling around, it seems that they never actually released an SDK, or if they did it's no longer available since Apple purchased them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.