Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
MegaSignal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Which editing app has the best Video Stabilization?

Although I have been most impressed with Pinnacle Pro with regard to video stabilization (the best I've seen in my limited experience), it has now become buggy and crashes a lot on my old PC. There is no Mac version of Pinnacle Pro at this time. Since then, I have purchased a late-2012 mini w/ 16GB of RAM to use with my Canon HF200 (AVCHD), a most difficult camera to hold for smooth shots.

I want the best video stabilization software (FCP X, Premier w/AE, I don't know) out there for my new mini; any suggestions?

Last edited by MegaSignal; Apr 14, 2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Clarity of title.
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
I've been pretty impressed with After Effects.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:14 PM   #3
daybreak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
What about a good tripod?. FCP-X has a good software. I think stabilisation should only be used in emergency.
daybreak is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
FCP X has pretty excellent stabilisation with 3 customizable parameters (transform, rotation, and scale). Even if your video is totally stable except for a split second shake, it will fix it. I'm sure the other pro equivalents like Premiere and After Effects are great as well.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:28 PM   #5
MegaSignal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
What about a good tripod?. FCP-X has a good software. I think stabilisation should only be used in emergency.
Good point - or at least a heavier camera. This little Canon is basically nothing more than a high-tech director's viewfinder, however, I now have no less than eight hours of irreplaceable video that I need tweaked and/or otherwise stabilized, as was done so well with Pinnacle Pro before it zonked out on me (along with quickly disappearing SSD memory) on my PC.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
FCP X has pretty excellent stabilisation with 3 customizable parameters (transform, rotation, and scale). Even if your video is totally stable except for a split second shake, it will fix it. I'm sure the other pro equivalents like Premiere and After Effects are great as well.
Thanks! I appreciate your input and shall narrow my choices to either FCP X or the Adobe Suite.

Last edited by MegaSignal; Apr 15, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:10 AM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Also take into consideration will the two software advance in updates and improvement and the long term cost.
daybreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
FCP X has pretty excellent stabilisation with 3 customizable parameters (transform, rotation, and scale). Even if your video is totally stable except for a split second shake, it will fix it. I'm sure the other pro equivalents like Premiere and After Effects are great as well.
It's been a while, but I did try out FCP X to stabilise a clip, and I kept getting this strange behaviour whereby the image would be zoomed and even flipped horizontally and/or vertically. It was beyond strange, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out, but was unsuccessful. I tend to use Mocha and/or After Effects for that, and it comes out surprisingly well.

I think it was FCP X 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 that I had tried, though... so I should try running it again, now that we're up to 10.0.8. I'm sure if I got rid of all my Adobe software and forced myself into FCP X, I'd figure out how to use it properly.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:47 PM   #8
MegaSignal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
I've just ordered the 'Elements' version of Premiere, as it was at a nominal cost; I shall evaluate. In addition, I've set up an appointment with an Apple Store in my area for a demonstration of FCP X. Even if I have to eventually purchase the full version of Premiere and After Effects, it'll be worth it in the long haul.
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:37 AM   #9
tillsbury
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Why not just download FCPX (free for 30 days) and run your video through it. It seems pretty good to me, better than Premiere 5.5 and Pinnacle (old versions I used on Windows), but I don't know about the others.

Note that in FCPX in order to be able to use stabilisation you have to get the app to "analyse" the clip first. You can do this either while importing or later once you've imported it. Only when this is done can you click on Stabilisation and stuff happens.
__________________
riMac: 4.0/32/1, rMBP15: 2.6/16/768, iPhone 6/64, iPad 1+2+3+Air, iPod nano 1+4, Lisa 2 + 5Mb ProFile
tillsbury is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:31 AM   #10
daybreak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Would it not have been more sense to have gone to the Apple Store first?, before investing hard earned cash into a software which you are not certain with.
If people give me valuable information my first port of call is to get first hand experience before jumping into the river.
Guess every person has a different approach regards software.
daybreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:38 PM   #11
yoak
macrumors 65816
 
yoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway
I've used both premiere's Warp stabiliser and fcx and in automatic mode the Warp stabiliser is unfortunatly much better than fcx. Unfortunatly as in adobe's offering is much more expensive, unless Elements has it too
yoak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:00 PM   #12
MegaSignal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
Would it not have been more sense to have gone to the Apple Store first?, before investing hard earned cash into a software which you are not certain with.
If people give me valuable information my first port of call is to get first hand experience before jumping into the river.
Guess every person has a different approach regards software.
It would appear so, but a bundled version of Elements, being sold at a most reasonable cost, included a lite version of Photoshop as well, something I already needed. In addition, I'll be able to get a basic feel for the workflow of Premiere.

But I see your point; this is probably Adobe's version of "gateway" marketing, as I should be able to upgrade from Elements.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoak View Post
I've used both premiere's Warp stabiliser and fcx and in automatic mode the Warp stabiliser is unfortunatly much better than fcx. Unfortunatly as in adobe's offering is much more expensive, unless Elements has it too
This is the first time I've heard of Warp stabilizer; thanks for the info!

Last edited by MegaSignal; Apr 18, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:26 PM   #13
adamneer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
i havent used anything else, but Adobe's warp stabilizer in Premiere and After Effects CS6 works extremely well. you can set it to either smooth motion or no motion at all and change the method of stabilizing from image warping to cropping, rotation, position and scale, or a few other combinations of those options. you would be hard pressed to find a better, easier image stabilizer, though you would also be hard pressed to find a more expensive alternative. you can download a free 30 day trial of any adobe CS6 product you want, so I'd suggest you do so.

to go a little further, sometimes it helps to manually keyframe the motion after the warp stabilizer has finished because while it will usually be dead on accurate for most shots, it might sometimes slowly rotate or make a gradual move from one side to another. the good part is that since it has been stabilized, the rotation or movement is usually very linear and easy to correct through motion keyframes.

you will want to break your footage up into clips that correspond with the type of movement you want to stabilize. this will help the program do its job in 2 ways -

1)you will either have shots you want completely still as in tripod mounted, or shots that pan, zoom, scan or "steady cam" which you will want to apply a smooth motion to. you can only select one type of stabilization per clip - there is no "smart detect" setting, yet...

2)as you can imagine, it is a processor intensive effect and the longer the clip you are stabilizing, the more the program has to interpret before applying the effect


if youve never used After Effects, you might want to just use the Premiere version, especially since you probably have longer clips that you'll want to cut into segments. After Effects is an amazing program, but it is far from intuitive or user friendly for anyone with no compositing experience. I will say however, that the AE version will produce slightly better, slightly faster results.



one more thing and this is just nitpicky, but Angry Birds is an app; Premiere Pro, After Effects, or really anything sophisticated enough to stabilize motion in video is called a program.
adamneer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:42 PM   #14
MegaSignal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamneer View Post
one more thing and this is just nitpicky, but Angry Birds is an app; Premiere Pro, After Effects, or really anything sophisticated enough to stabilize motion in video is called a program.
Thanks - dutifully noted.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamneer View Post
i havent used anything else, but Adobe's warp stabilizer in Premiere and After Effects CS6 works extremely well. you can set it to either smooth motion or no motion at all and change the method of stabilizing from image warping to cropping, rotation, position and scale, or a few other combinations of those options. you would be hard pressed to find a better, easier image stabilizer, though you would also be hard pressed to find a more expensive alternative. you can download a free 30 day trial of any adobe CS6 product you want, so I'd suggest you do so.

to go a little further, sometimes it helps to manually keyframe the motion after the warp stabilizer has finished because while it will usually be dead on accurate for most shots, it might sometimes slowly rotate or make a gradual move from one side to another. the good part is that since it has been stabilized, the rotation or movement is usually very linear and easy to correct through motion keyframes.

you will want to break your footage up into clips that correspond with the type of movement you want to stabilize. this will help the program do its job in 2 ways -

1)you will either have shots you want completely still as in tripod mounted, or shots that pan, zoom, scan or "steady cam" which you will want to apply a smooth motion to. you can only select one type of stabilization per clip - there is no "smart detect" setting, yet...

2)as you can imagine, it is a processor intensive effect and the longer the clip you are stabilizing, the more the program has to interpret before applying the effect


if youve never used After Effects, you might want to just use the Premiere version, especially since you probably have longer clips that you'll want to cut into segments. After Effects is an amazing program, but it is far from intuitive or user friendly for anyone with no compositing experience. I will say however, that the AE version will produce slightly better, slightly faster results.
Most insightful; your post was very informative.
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video editing app - Mono audio to stereo tokyoblue iPad Apps 1 Jun 17, 2014 07:49 PM
Why You May Want to Disable Image Stabilization During Video Recording?(With sources) Menneisyys2 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 8 Oct 21, 2013 04:37 PM
iMovie 6 or Better App For Video Editing/Processing aaps59 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jan 6, 2013 09:11 PM
This is a great app for video editing, if its gets funded ukspeedtraps Digital Video 1 Nov 27, 2012 10:40 AM
Coolest video editing app on sale macandiPhone iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Oct 12, 2012 05:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC