Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
Not sure if this is the right section but I think my problem would go here.

My internet on my retina Macbook Pro has been horrible. It takes a long time to load pages. I often get a message "This webpage is not available" or something like that. I'm using Chrome by the way. And I get periods where it works normal for a minute or two then back to crappyness.

I visited my brother on spring break and took my computer with me. Before I left my internet was perfectly fine. While there it was perfectly fine. Since I got back it has been bad. I got back on April 1st so it has been like this for 2 weeks.

Originally I was hoping it would get better over time. Nope. And it is only my computer. Everything else using the network works how it should.

Restarting my computer doesn't work. Disconnecting and reconnecting to the network doesn't work. Restarting the router doesn't work. I've tried changing the DNS. Nope. I tried Onyx maintenance and cleaning earlier today. Nope.

Everything I've tried fixes the problem for a short time. It just deteriorates and is back to the way it was.

I've been on google a lot searching for a fix. I've tried things from here and the Apple discussion boards.

I don't know what all anyone would need to help figure this out so I'll list some of the settings.

Airport router
Security is WPA2 Personal
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
Configure IPv6: Automatically
DNS Servers: (8.8.8.8) (4.2.2.1) (4.2.2.2)

Any other info that would help in solving this?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

Edit: I used speedtest.net earlier. Results are
Ping: 16ms
Download:about 18 Mbps
Upload: about 2 Mbps

New speedtest
Ping: 16ms
Download: 12.62 Mbps
Upload: 2.08 Mbps

So only the download speed has really changed from this morning.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Delete (Or move to Desktop the following Folder and restart:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

All Network Settings will be reset to factory Defaults, so all settings are lost, if you moved the Folder though you still have them if this does not work.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/90/

Might get a better response on the MacBook Pro forum above. Good luck ;)

Yeah lol I wasn't sure since it is a software issue I think not hardware.

Delete (Or move to Desktop the following Folder and restart:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

All Network Settings will be reset to factory Defaults, so all settings are lost, if you moved the Folder though you still have them if this does not work.

I'll try this and report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.