Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

suunto_n3_spot_watch.jpg
With rumors of an Apple smart watch ramping up over the past few months, a number of other companies have also reportedly been working on their own projects involving watches and other wearable devices. Last month, both Samsung and Google were reported to be working on their own projects, and now The Wall Street Journal indicates that Microsoft is also exploring the possibility of a smart watch.
Earlier this year, Microsoft asked suppliers in Asia to ship components for a potential watch-style device, the executives said. One executive said he met with Microsoft's research and development team at the software company's Redmond, Wash., headquarters. But it's unclear whether Microsoft will opt to move ahead with the watch, they said. [...]

For its potential new watch prototype, Microsoft has requested 1.5-inch displays from component makers, said an executive at a component supplier.
The report notes that this is not Microsoft's first foray into smart watch technology, with the company having launched its Smart Personal Objects Technology (SPOT) platform in 2004 through partnerships with watch companies such as Fossil and Suunto.

Those watches, which received data through Microsoft's MSN Direct FM radio-based service, were discontinued by 2008, but the idea of smart watches is experiencing a rebirth as companies look to make the experience of today's mobile devices even more "personal".

(Image: Suunto's n3 smart watch from 2004, based on Microsoft's SPOT technology)

Article Link: Microsoft Looking to Join the Smart Watch Race

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Windows 9
Run your desktop apps on your PC/Tablet AND your watch!

Last edited:

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
lol and the desktops will use the same UI as the new Microsoft watch!

On a side note, PERFECT PICTURE LOL

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
They may join the race now but they'll still be five to ten years behind Apple, as usual.....

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Oh Boy

I hope that it doesn't run Windows! So now you will get to enjoy useless blue screen errors on your watch too, more crap that I'll have to support. Microsoft is really lacking on innovation these days, they need to get rid of all the old people they have running operations and get some younger folks with different ideas in there.

-Mike

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
I heard Apple will be releasing the smart toilet. I think M$ will follow with Windows #2

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Sad that the state of tech companies are now in a race to make a watch.

You know I'm sure that was said about cellphones and music players in the past. Watches could be the next big thing. Steve Jobs was bold enough to take risks with Apple's directions on their products. It could be the next billion dollar thing. Or it might flop. Who's to say...?

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Finally, BSOD's available on your nearby wrist.

Blue screen of death.

Anytime.

Anywhere.

I hope that it doesn't run Windows! So now you will get to enjoy useless blue screen errors on your watch too, more crap that I'll have to support. Microsoft is really lacking on innovation these days, they need to get rid of all the old people they have running operations and get some younger folks with different ideas in there.

-Mike

Serious why do Apple fans have this obsession with the blue screen of death? I haven't encountered one on Windows for years.

On topic, I just can't see any of these smart watches really being any more than a niche market.

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
"Did you notice the Information Hand?"

Last edited:

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
... Much like everything Microsoft does, this will of course run full desktop software including Word and Excel. :rolleyes:

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Im making it clear right now that I believe there is no future in smart watches. Whatever those may be

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Serious why do Apple fans have this obsession with the blue screen of death? I haven't encountered one on Windows for years.

On topic, I just can't see any of these smart watches really being any more than a niche market.

I got a few a months ago (from Bing.com of all things). I saw my friend get one two days ago.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Basic economics...

First Apple built computers. They were big expensive boxes, then the made phones. These were cheaper and smaller and next wil be watches. They will be cheaper and smaller than phones

At each step downward the number of units sold goes up dramatically. Apple will follow the numbers but, I as a customer would prefer to see Apple smaller and go back to serving creative professionals

Every time they go after more unit sales they dumb down and cheapen the product. Notice the move to glossy screens.

Expect in 10 years the "smart earring"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.