Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TotalMacNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Hello,

My iMac will not boot passed the screen with Apple logo and spinning wheel.

My son accidentally :eek: hit the off switch on the iMac's power strip while i was doing the following;

Booted into single user mode
Type fsck -fy
Type mount -uw /
Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, replace “username” with the targeted user and “password” with the password you wants.
Reboot

I think i got as far as typing in reboot before the power went off i can't recall?
Any ideas on why it won't boot and what i can do to fix it?
I have a lot of stuff i don't want to loose. :(

My fingers are crossed and thanks ahead of time! :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Starting up in “safe mode” may help you diagnose problems you’re having with your Mac.
Note: To print these instructions, open the Help Viewer’s Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear) and choose Print.

Shut down your Mac and wait 10 seconds.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.

You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator (spinning gear).

To leave safe mode, restart the computer normally without holding down any keys during startup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11212

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Hello,

My iMac will not boot passed the screen with Apple logo and spinning wheel.

My son accidentally :eek: hit the off switch on the iMac's power strip while i was doing the following;

Booted into single user mode
Type fsck -fy
Type mount -uw /
Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, replace “username” with the targeted user and “password” with the password you wants.
Reboot

I think i got as far as typing in reboot before the power went off i can't recall?
Any ideas on why it won't boot and what i can do to fix it?
I have a lot of stuff i don't want to loose. :(

My fingers are crossed and thanks ahead of time! :)

So any news?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.