Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
I just bought my first iMac a used late 2009 27" running 10.7.5 and Microsoft office. What a great machine!
I was promised the MS Office Product Code but haven't gotten anything yet. I'd like to upgrade the OS to 10.8.3 but somewhere I read that I could lose my MS Office by upgrading the OS. I bought it from a student who is still looking for it.
Should I be concerned and wait or should I go ahead and upgrade? Is there more than one step?
Thanks
Hank

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... somewhere I read that I could lose my MS Office by upgrading the OS. ...
You should take more care in what you read. Microsoft Office has nothing to do with upgrading your OS. Therefore, upgrading your OS will not affect your installation of Office.

That said, if you wipe your hard drive to install a new OS, then you will lose your installation of Office. However, if you wipe your hard drive to reinstall your old OS, then you will also lose your installation of Office.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
A normal install of a new OS version will install "in place" of the old OS, leaving your apps, data and preferences intact.

However, even if something went wrong, it wouldn't matter, because you can always restore Office from the backup that you keep. You do keep a backup, dont you...?'

Hankmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
A normal install of a new OS version will install "in place" of the old OS, leaving your apps, data and preferences intact.

However, even if something went wrong, it wouldn't matter, because you can always restore Office from the backup that you keep. You do keep a backup, dont you...?'

I've never done an app backup on a Mac. Any guidance appreciated.
Thanks
Hank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.