Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Faked Photo of 'iPhone 5S Logic Board' With A7 Chip Making the Rounds

It's certainly not the first time fake photos alleged to be parts from upcoming Apple products have surfaced, but a particularly egregious case occurring today is starting to be picked up by other sites, so we thought it would be a good idea to nip this one in the bud.

Earlier today, we received a tip about a site sharing photos of what was said to be the iPhone 5S logic board with an A7 chip on it, along with purported specs about this chip.

Among the posted photos is a full shot of the logic board, which seems to be 100% identical to the iPhone 5 logic board with the exception of an A7 chip. While there is a decent chance that the iPhone 5 and 5S will have very similar logic boards, there will undoubtedly be some changes and the essentially identical appearance immediately flagged the iPhone 5S photo as a certain fake.

Original faked closeup of A7 chip: Notice "3232" date code at right and faint "1227" date code at bottom.
As if that evidence were not enough, the post provides additional information in the form of a closeup of the A7 chip, showing off unique part numbers and other codes not seen on the A6 chip in the iPhone 5. These codes also immediately gave away the photo as a fake, and we replied to our email tipster to point out the issue.
Quote:
It's a fake. The numbers shown on that A7 chip are inconsistent and in some cases nonsensical. For example, there is a "3232" along the right side of the chip. This number should be a code noting the two-digit year and two-digit week of manufacture. Since we're not currently in the year 2032, this code is clearly fake.

In a similar vein, there is another faint manufacture date code along the bottom side of the chip for a different component within the chip. This one they failed to Photoshop, so it shows a "1227" code indicating that it was made in mid-2012 as was the case for the A6 in some early iPhone 5 devices.
We suspect our tipster was associated with the fake photos, as the closeup image was quickly replaced with a new one changing the "3232" to a more sensical "1302" corresponding to the second week of January 2013. The site's watermark on the image was also moved to obscure the second "1227" date code.

Replacement faked closeup of A7 chip: Notice new "1302" date code right and watermark moved to obscure code at bottom.
We had hesitated to post about these fake photos, but with at least half a dozen other sites having already picked up on the story with varying levels of skepticism, we thought it most important to set the record straight.

Article Link: Faked Photo of 'iPhone 5S Logic Board' With A7 Chip Making the Rounds
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

This gave me some interesting insight into what those numbers actually mean. Thanks for setting things straight!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #3
syavno
macrumors member

Who has time to waste on doctoring a photo? Why? "Fortune and glory"??
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Forgot the pictures, more interested in what the analysts are saying! Where you at Kuo?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Fakes suck.
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #6
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syavno View Post
Clicks lead to views which leads to advertising impressions which leads to money.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
jtaylor8683
macrumors newbie

Ok.

The time and effort put into this.....Hell you know what, if you are going to make something that doesn't exist, get creative! I want to see an A11 chip....I want a blurry photo of the new glass BENDING....I want another blurry photo of the phone so thin, it looks like paper! IF you are going to do it, do it right!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I just think it is cool the tipster clarified for you quite nicely it is an actual fake with no doubt.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #9
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Too dumb and lazy to fake photos right. Children...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
kaplanfx
macrumors member

I wish you had posted their "fake" specs. I was curious, I didn't want to give them a page view but on the other hand I wanted to see what crap they made up.

-kap
kaplanfx is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #11
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Moral of the story...

...half-hearted attempt(s) to fool a bunch of nerds who vehemently study and know every millimeter of electronics' components are futile!

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:46 PM   #12
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by syavno View Post
apparently, "Droid Gator" has time to waste on this kind of nonsense, which is still surprising because it takes away valuable time from dicking around on the homescreen and playing with widgets.
gatearray is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcs View Post
Clicks lead to views which leads to advertising impressions which leads to money.
Typical of websites that start with Dro... Never mind.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:49 PM   #14
anubis72
macrumors member

Because a website named DROIDgator would have anything worthwhile to post about the iPhone...
anubis72 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #15
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Apple Keynote September 2013

SVP of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller hits the stage to talk about new iPhone...

People have been wondering, how do you follow up a hit product like the iPhone 5?.. I'm really pleased to tell you today all about the brand new iPhone 5S! Of course it starts with 4" Retina Display, of course itís made entirely of glass and aluminum, but donít be deceived, because inside itís all new. The A7 chip is now making its way into the iPhone, two times faster CPU, two times faster GPU...

After Keynote

Steve would never have allowed this!, it's the same phone as before!, Apple is doomed....

Apple Press Release

iPhone 5S First Weekend Sales Top Seven Million
MacFather is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:52 PM   #16
bloggerblog
macrumors member

hahaha, an Android website can only get hits if it had Apple news
bloggerblog is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:52 PM   #17
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Quote:
Since we're not currently in the year 2032, this code is clearly fake.
OR...the current year is fake...

[thinks about it]

[thinks about it]

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:52 PM   #18
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Anything for page hits and back links I guess.

Good to see MR on the ball as normal!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Consultant
macrumors G5

No need to tell the faker the correct numbers to use.
Consultant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #20
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

It's not like an A7 processor would be groundbreaking news anyways. It's pretty much the predicted next level up. This shouldn't even be on the front page.
tekboi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #21
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

good journalism, macrumors.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:57 PM   #22
DaveHuck
macrumors newbie

Have some fun on their Facebook site

Post away and let 'em know what you think of them! http://www.facebook.com/droidgator
DaveHuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:57 PM   #23
testcard
macrumors 65816

"Egregious". Why do I find that word strangely sexy?
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:58 PM   #24
Rocketman
macrumors 603

When MacRumors posts a story (on the front page) debunking a false claim, they are doing a public service as well as a service to their collegues. This is journalism at its finest.

And they didn't out their source! The source provided enough crumbs for the greatest of simpletons.

Rocketman
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:59 PM   #25
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
"Egregious". Why do I find that word strangely sexy?
You find the word "egregious" sexy, do you?

Would you like to tell me more about that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	%22Go OnÖ%22.png
Views:	23
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	407908  

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion