Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
rdunlap
macrumors member

Iconic Disc - Pretty neat idea!

Stumbled upon this the other day and thought it was a REALLY cool idea.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ew-best-friend

Might just have to try it out. $25 seems pretty cheap for something cool and unique like this.
rdunlap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
PaulCostello
macrumors member

i was looking at that this morning. It seems like a great idea, until I start thinking about wanting to remove those in the future. I wonder what kind of damage that adhesive would make.
iPhone 5c 16gb
PaulCostello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #3
JHUFrank
macrumors Demi-God

Hmm, fairly interesting. Do know if it is worth throwing money at...
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
LYFK
macrumors regular

This is Kickstarter Kitsch at its finest.
LYFK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I don't think so.

There is another thread somewhere here about stickers people placed on their cover and is vastly more artistic than this.

PLUS u know this thing sticking out is gonna make you slide that Air into your pouch, perhaps a little tricker.

But u like it, OK.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
rdunlap
macrumors member

I just think it's a pretty neat idea. The stickers only add so much to the cover of the MacBook but don't interact with the Apple logo light like this does. Plus the adhesive sucks getting off and I speak from experience.

Just giving people another option of what they can do, but I do wonder how this would be removing it since it has to have some sort of adhesive on it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Why would I want to make my Mac look worse? Jony Ive would probably pass out if he saw this. I never understood the obsession with 'personalising' Macbooks. Maybe it's because people who aren't used to nice things find them discomfiting and have to debase them with bumper stickers.
Carouser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
rdunlap
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouser View Post
Why would I want to make my Mac look worse? Jony Ive would probably pass out if he saw this. I never understood the obsession with 'personalising' Macbooks. Maybe it's because people who aren't used to nice things find them discomfiting and have to debase them with bumper stickers.
That's all personal opinion my friend. People might say the same thing about you and how you leave your MacBook so simple and bland.

Don't knock other people's opinions and just accept them. That's what seems to be wrong with society these days.

It's a cool idea and if you're attracted to it, I say go for it. Make yours a little unique.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
auhagen
macrumors member

God thats ugly, like really ugly.

Use decals if you want to customize your mac, or hell take it apart and get it anodized in another color if you got too much money, but a badge with a lit photo on the apple logo, to make it bulky and ugly?!

I really dont get people anymore..
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:27 AM   #10
sam2428
macrumors regular

It's interesting but I'm sure it would probably pop off while sliding your laptop in or out of a case/bag. I would be worried about potential scratches due to that...
sam2428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:56 AM   #11
Acorn
macrumors 68020

I dont like the way the ring sticks out. it ruins the smoothness of the lid. not much you can do about that though. oh well.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:01 AM   #12
ratboy90
macrumors 6502

I like the idea but $12 shipping to Europe is ridiculous. And as stated before I don't like the way it sticks out.
ratboy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:48 PM   #13
kmsgigem
macrumors newbie

Loving this idea

Unlike the sticker decals out there, I really like how this product allows you to personalize while still respecting the original apple design aesthetic. And from a corporate standpoint, it would be a great way to brand your employees' laptops.

As for the thickness, it's only two pennies thick... wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for sharing rdunlap. I'm going to back them!
kmsgigem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:42 AM   #14
melchior
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy90 View Post
I like the idea but $12 shipping to Europe is ridiculous. And as stated before I don't like the way it sticks out.
$12 is cheap if ask me. I am legitimately surprised they insist on Fedex or DHL.
melchior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsgigem View Post
Unlike the sticker decals out there, I really like how this product allows you to personalize while still respecting the original apple design aesthetic. And from a corporate standpoint, it would be a great way to brand your employees' laptops.

As for the thickness, it's only two pennies thick... wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for sharing rdunlap. I'm going to back them!
Wow, you just joined, apparently for this thread. Hope you post more, otherwise people might think you're a shill!
Carouser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:57 AM   #16
kmsgigem
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Wow, you just joined, apparently for this thread. Hope you post more, otherwise people might think you're a shill!
Hahah, you're funny but I can see how I came off that way. To be honest, been a MacBook Air user for a few years and recently got on the iPhone bandwagon. My friend turned me on to this site recently and it's been fun to peruse on my downtime. Anyway, I like the product and backed them a few days ago. I think it's a great way to make my Air unique and stand out from the crowd.

Cheers
kmsgigem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:33 AM   #17
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsgigem View Post
Hahah, you're funny but I can see how I came off that way. To be honest, been a MacBook Air user for a few years and recently got on the iPhone bandwagon. My friend turned me on to this site recently and it's been fun to peruse on my downtime. Anyway, I like the product and backed them a few days ago. I think it's a great way to make my Air unique and stand out from the crowd.

Cheers
id hope youre not involved in it, thats one ugly tacky accessory. hopefully it never takes off.
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:55 PM   #18
mercurycn
macrumors newbie

IMP, I don't like it.
mercurycn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Why do people put bumper stickers on Cars? I'm guessing the answer will be somewhat the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunlap View Post
I just think it's a pretty neat idea. The stickers only add so much to the cover of the MacBook but don't interact with the Apple logo light like this does. Plus the adhesive sucks getting off and I speak from experience.

Just giving people another option of what they can do, but I do wonder how this would be removing it since it has to have some sort of adhesive on it.
The Kickstarter page explains how to remove it. How ell the full removal actually works is another question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
I dont like the way the ring sticks out. it ruins the smoothness of the lid. not much you can do about that though. oh well.
The Ring sticking out could be an issue for some carry cases/bags. Although I suspect it's more a visual bump than any real issue.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:28 PM   #20
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Thats pretty ugly, with the cheap looking plastic overlay, and how it sticks out like that. And horribly overpriced for what it offers.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air