Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last Friday, T-Mobile USA Chief Marketing Officer Mike Sievert told AllThingsD that the carrier's iPhone launch that day had been "gangbusters" for the carrier with "lines out the door" at its retail stores. While the lines dissipated fairly quickly, T-Mobile undoubtedly believes that the strength of the iPhone and new "Uncarrier" plans unbundling device cost from service charges will help its standing in the competitive U.S. carrier market over the long-term.

iphone_5_now_tmobile.jpg

Sievert has now followed up with CNET, and while he declined to share any specific sales numbers, he noted that the iPhone launch had given T-Mobile "one of its biggest weekends in the history of the company".
Sievert told CNET that iPhone sales did better than he expected, although he declined to provide specific figures.

"We had really ambitious internal goals, and we beat them," he said.
With the addition of T-Mobile, all four of the major U.S. carriers now offer the iPhone. Counting smaller carriers, the iPhone is now available on 22 carriers in the United States.

Article Link: iPhone Launch Gives T-Mobile USA 'One of Its Biggest Weekends'

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
So now I can experience an iPhone on every carrier. I guess the price competition will be in full swing now! Hopefully AT&T and Verizon realize that unlimited data is the way to go!

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
One iPhone, all carriers.

Can Android say that?
(maybe, but I see many phones have a base model with different names/flavors for each carrier)

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Pay attention AT&T....I have a year left on my contract once it's up I'll stay with att if they are competitive if not hello t-mobile

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Competition is good

AT&T's motto should be "fewer bars in more places"

Competition is good -- actually, it SHOULD BE good -- sometimes it seems like it doesn't make much difference.

And competition is good not only for carriers, but for manufacturers, too.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
sprint has unlimited data too and i hear its SLOW
i'll take limited fast data over unlimited slow data any day

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
AT&T's motto should be "fewer bars in more places"

Competition is good -- actually, it SHOULD BE good -- sometimes it seems like it doesn't make much difference.

And competition is good not only for carriers, but for manufacturers, too.

I honestly have no complaints about At&t. Call quality hasn't been bad in like 2 years where I am...

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Satisfied so far with T-mobile's coverage here in Seattle, made a switch from AT&T and I'm happy with my savings.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Glad it was a success. You know ATT and VZ were praying for failure so there would be no pressure on their rates. Now maybe there will be. Of course it will take TMob to serve more of the country to really compete and have a continuing effect.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Satisfied so far with T-mobile's coverage here in Seattle, made a switch from AT&T and I'm happy with my savings.

My wife has been on TMO for about 10 years, also here in the Seattle area, since the refarming she is just loving her 4S. Her speeds are always better than my ATT 4S in the same spot. It's quite crazy actually.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
AAPL New 52 Week Low

Apparently the market didn't think the launch was successful considering Apple has reached new 52 week lows again today.

Currently down 2.28%

Apple has introduced nothing new and the market is beyond impatient.
The iRing, iTV, iBS is getting old and even MacRumors has more posts about competitors than it does regarding Apple Rumors or "Real" Apple news.

A new carrier launch isn't going to dig AAPL out of the slump that it's in.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
So now I can experience an iPhone on every carrier. I guess the price competition will be in full swing now! Hopefully AT&T and Verizon realize that unlimited data is the way to go!

I think they are all different and you have to look at it that way. VZ and AT&T offer more LTE than Sprint and T-Mo, also speaking there are more phones on both, if T-Mo gets more customers I am sure the speeds will not be that great, also their service is not the same as VZ and AT&T. Sprint IMO needs to be worried now that you can get all this on T-Mo, they IMO again beat Sprint hands down, and their speeds are not too shabby either from what I have been reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.