Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Jay Kayess
macrumors newbie

Virus Malware Email Spam?

When my email stopped working today I called the provider who said they were having difficulties with their server & were "manually pushing thru emails" .... He said they had about 1/2 Million emails backed up & didn't know when they would get things going.

A couple minutes later he called back & said, actually, the problem with my account is that they had disabled it because someone had been sending spam using my name. I asked him how that could be & he said someone might have a way to get my administrative password for email.

He then told me I should install an antivirus/malware program. I told him I believed I didn't need one because I have a Mac. He said all computers should have them & that I should change my passwords on sensitive accounts just to be sure whoever was using my email didn't have access to my other passwords.

He said there could be keyloggers (sp?) that are able to view what I am typing. Is this so? If I don't have an antivirus installed presently, how am I able to check anything? What action would you suggest I take? I'm a relatively inexperienced user who visits few websites and sends/receives few emails. Am I in jeopardy?
Jay Kayess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

download> Clamxav

it free and works great, but change all your passwords

and always use Safari
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:38 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kayess View Post
He then told me I should install an antivirus/malware program. I told him I believed I didn't need one because I have a Mac. He said all computers should have them
He was wrong. Your email account can be hacked even if you don't own a computer. Having your email hacked or spoofed has nothing to do with malware. Change your email passwords (and any other critical ones) to something long and complex, using special characters, numbers and upper and lower case letters.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhifi View Post
and always use Safari
You can safely use any web browser you choose. It doesn't have to be Safari.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help