Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
So it seems I'll be making weekly presentations for class for the rest of April and May, and since I've been making presentations with Keynote on OS X, I figure I'd give it a shot with the iPad and its version of Keynote along with the VGA adapter.

Now, after looking around, I realize that Keynote for iOS isn't as full-fledged compared to OS X, but that doesn't bother me very much as I am not one for fancy templates or animations. Even so, are there any caveats I should be aware of before splurging for a VGA adapter and Keynote for iOS?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
no caveats....works well...training is my profession and my trusty Epson powerlite and both my ipad mini, and Ipad 2, 3 and now a 4 make 400 Keynote presentations a year...but no real clicker remote avail...

actually I would rather use Keynote IOS than mac keynote anytime....

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
no caveats....works well...training is my profession and my trusty Epson powerlite and both my ipad mini, and Ipad 2, 3 and now a 4 make 400 Keynote presentations a year...but no real clicker remote avail...

Right, I noticed that as well, but it doesn't seem to be a huge dealbreaker.

Though it means I can't wander too much anymore :eek:

EDIT: That makes me wonder, since you do so many presentations a year, how have the VGA adapters stood? Good build quality?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Right, I noticed that as well, but it doesn't seem to be a huge dealbreaker.

Though it means I can't wander too much anymore :eek:

EDIT: That makes me wonder, since you do so many presentations a year, how have the VGA adapters stood? Good build quality?

fine.......but an apple TV hooked to your projector will make the ipad wireless for walking around....

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
fine.......but an apple TV hooked to your projector will make the ipad wireless for walking around....

Just don't forget AirPlay can have a truly detrimental effect on your image quality (compression artefacts, lag, low framerate when playing animations etc).

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Just don't forget AirPlay can have a truly detrimental effect on your image quality (compression artefacts, lag, low framerate when playing animations etc).

it plays all my animations and 720p business videos fine thru airplay - no stutter or any other defects - most of us are using keynote for business presentations, and for this it works perfectly.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
it plays all my animations and 720p business videos fine thru airplay - no stutter or any other defects - most of us are using keynote for business presentations, and for this it works perfectly.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I meant was embedded videos, not plain PP / Keynote animations.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to make Keynote play embedded videos natively on an ATV, which does result in framedrops (but, at least, reduced framerate), compression artifacts etc. By default, they're played back embedded only, which also results in sub-par quality.

(For more info: I've explained this in length at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17300068 , my just-published article on everything Keynote + TV output.)

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I meant was embedded videos, not plain PP / Keynote animations.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to make Keynote play embedded videos natively on an ATV, which does result in framedrops (but, at least, reduced framerate), compression artifacts etc. By default, they're played back embedded only, which also results in sub-par quality.

(For more info: I've explained this in length at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17300068 , my just-published article on everything Keynote + TV output.)

I'm not up on the technicalities, I'm just a business user...but if you mean I have a slide that has a movie in it, it plays that fine...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not up on the technicalities, I'm just a business user...but if you mean I have a slide that has a movie in it, it plays that fine...

With several kinds of videos (hi-res, normal/high-framerate) decoding done by the ATV results in a far superior quality.

With low(er)-resolution / -framerate videos the difference isn't this visible.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
So it seems I'll be making weekly presentations for class for the rest of April and May, and since I've been making presentations with Keynote on OS X, I figure I'd give it a shot with the iPad and its version of Keynote along with the VGA adapter.

Now, after looking around, I realize that Keynote for iOS isn't as full-fledged compared to OS X, but that doesn't bother me very much as I am not one for fancy templates or animations. Even so, are there any caveats I should be aware of before splurging for a VGA adapter and Keynote for iOS?

The main caveat is the MS PP bug I've described in Chapter "2. Problems With Microsoft Office Files" at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17321186

It only applies to any kind of (even desktop-converted) Microsoft PowerPoint input. If you create all your presentations in Keynote (on either OS X or the iDevice itself), you won't be faced this problem at all. If, however, you in any way use Microsoft PowerPoint, the effective output resolution will be absolutely awful.

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012

Would you tell me about this setup.
Does this need wireless router and both Apple TV and iPad connecting to same network or is it just two device ( Apple TV and iPad ) doing the show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.