Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jono.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Hey guys

I have a 2010 macbook pro 13" running with windows 7 as the primary partition.

It's been a good laptop, bit glitchy and has had it's problems..

But now, a couple of weeks ago the windows partition started freezing.. Runs okay until you try and do something or run a program and then freezes..

I managed a virus scan and nothing.. haven't really downloaded or installed anything new.. and i can't get it to run long enough to figure out what's wrong with it..

And i can't afford to format and do again.. as there's programs etc on it i wont get back if i do (school issue etc)

Does anyone have any idea's on how i could go about rectifying this?

Thanks!

*More info*

Mac Partition works fine apart from freezing at times when you try and use Safari

- Jono

Last edited:

Jono.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Gave that a crack, just freezes on the grey screen with no apple logo

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
It does sound like your hard drive is going out. Possibly a bad sector on the drive, you should back up everything and get a new one.

Jono.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Why though is it fine in OSX but not Windows if this is the case though?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Classic HDD failing signs. Make sure you back it up, consider replacing it.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
HDD failing. Make a backup. It might be too late for a full backup of the windows partition, but you can certainly save a lot of data.

The reason it is not crashing on OSX is that the bad sectors are probably on the windows partition. But you should replace the HDD as soon as possible.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
HDD failing. Make a backup. It might be too late for a full backup of the windows partition, but you can certainly save a lot of data.

The reason it is not crashing on OSX is that the bad sectors are probably on the windows partition. But you should replace the HDD as soon as possible.

I concur with this assessment. I'd act immediately. Data loss if you're not backed up is the concern.

I learned the hard way years ago. And it wasn't that I didn't backup, but mine wasn't very current. Now my backup routine is stellar.

StintheBeast

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Cambridge
Never mind that it's fully supported and even encouraged by Apple, and that millions of users use their Macs as their primary Windows PCs- he's obviously a noob.

Got it.

I don't care. I bought my Mac cuz I wanted OS X as my operating system. Isn't that what Apple advertises? I don't think Apple is encouraging people to run Windows. But if they are, prove it.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I don't care. I bought my Mac cuz I wanted OS X as my operating system. Isn't that what Apple advertises? I don't think Apple is encouraging people to run Windows. But if they are, prove it.

Well, there's the minor detail that the Boot Camp software that Apple provides for installing and running Windows on a Mac is now in its 5th version, or the fact that it came out with the first major release of OS X after Apple's switch to Intel from PowerPC CPUs. Or how about the fact that the Mac's ability to run Windows and do so better than most Windows-only PCs was a major focus of the Get a Mac ad campaign that ran for, what, 4 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.