Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1
banapple
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Which device is better paired with my note 2. ipad mini or ipod touch 5th gen?

The main reason im itching to get either an ipad mini or an ipod touch is i like to play tons of games especially on my iphone 5 before i switched to the note 2 im using today. unfortunately the library of games in my note isnt enough to satisfy my needs and i feel a little irritated especially when a new game in toucharcade gets announced and my android doesnt have it yet.

so would it be better to get an ipod touch or an ipad mini? ipad mini has a bigger screen which is better for games but i cant bring it all the time since i dont carry bags all the time. the ipod touch is extremely portable and i could also use it while im jogging since the note 2 is a little too big to use while jogging. the note 2 is labeled as a "phablet" so im thinking an ipad would be a little redundant but so as having an ipod touch and a note 2. what do you guys think?
banapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
simply stunning
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I would go for the mini. I feel that the touch can be nice, but I much prefer games on an iPad to an iPhone or iPod touch.
simply stunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:14 AM   #3
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I would also go with the mini, its a nice screen size to play games on.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
andross77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I had this EXACT dilemma last week since I did have the Iphone 4S for about 8 months and bought a crapton of games from the iOS store (close to 500 i think). Anywho, I went with the mini. Part of my reasoning was i hate that the ipod touch costs the same (now that Walmart is selling the mini for $299) and you are getting a ton less real estate. Of course you get pocketability but i honestly didn't want to carry both everywhere anyways.

I feel no "overlap" using my verizon note 2 and my wifi mini since they are totally different operating systems. The games are better on the mini; reading is better on the mini; the battery life is INSANE on the mini (not that the note 2's is bad). But i just like android better overall.

I will be getting the S4 when it comes out so i'll be getting a slightly smaller screen but yeah maybe if the ipod touch started at $199 or had the same processor as the iphone 5 i would have gone that direction. But i understand the need to differentiate their lines.

Anyways, i'm super, super happy with the mini's FORM and when/if the retina version comes out i will not hesitate a second to sell this one back on Craigslist and buy the retina version. I just use the mini a LOT more than when i had my ipad 3.

Oh yeah, and Order and Chaos looks AMAZING (and plays amazing) on the mini. Racing games, everything looks sweet!!!! I like being able to see so much. I have small hands and playing games on the ipod touch i was covering up 30% of the screen with my thumbs it felt like.
andross77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by banapple View Post
what do you guys think?
Determine what's most important to you and you'll have your answer. Polling others with varying preferences isn't going to help you to find out which is best for you.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Touch is 32gb, you need to pay more to get a Mini with that amount of space if that is a concern of yours. You said a ton of games so ....
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
andross77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Determine what's most important to you and you'll have your answer. Polling others with varying preferences isn't going to help you to find out which is best for you.
Telling someone the obvious, you have to make decisions for yourself, is also not helpful in getting the OP closer to the decision he will make. If you haven't had your coffee yet (or bottle...), keep your crankiness to yourself.
andross77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I'd suggest getting the Mini at a bricks and mortar store with a good refund policy. Try it out for week or two and see how it works out for you. If you're not happy, return it and get the touch.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:58 AM   #9
banapple
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Determine what's most important to you and you'll have your answer. Polling others with varying preferences isn't going to help you to find out which is best for you.
Thanks captain O., but i disagree with you. I know we all have different preferences, but a person like me who does not own an iPad mini nor an iPod touch 5th gen will not know how the device will entirely function from a user's point of view. Reading specs on paper can only go so far so opinion of members here who own ipad mini's and ipod touch 5th gen will help me in my decision since they are first hand users of the said device, regardless of personal preferences. makes sense?


The ipad mini is better for games but there are drawbacks that make me want to get the ipod touch instead.

- smaller capacity (since im deciding 16gb ipad mini vs ipod touch 32 gb)
-portability, unless of course i get a man purse which will never happen.
- i cant use it for jogging and i can with the ipod touch

the only advantage of the ipad mini over the ipod touch is the bigger screen which is better for gaming i guess.

Then again, i have survived gaming with my tiny iphone 3g and 4 for almost 4 years.

tough choice...
banapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
andross77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by banapple View Post
The ipad mini is better for games but there are drawbacks that make me want to get the ipod touch instead.

- smaller capacity (since im deciding 16gb ipad mini vs ipod touch 32 gb)
-portability, unless of course i get a man purse which will never happen.
- i cant use it for jogging and i can with the ipod touch

the only advantage of the ipad mini over the ipod touch is the bigger screen which is better for gaming i guess.

Then again, i have survived gaming with my tiny iphone 3g and 4 for almost 4 years.

tough choice...
See I went from 3" phones, to 3.5" (iphone 4s for 8 months, to 4", to 4.3", to 4.8", to 5.0", to 5.5" and you knows what's become more enjoyable EVERY time? You guessed it, gaming

I NEVER ONCE found myself saying, "if only I could game on a smaller screen!" Now of course there are tradeoffs to getting biggers phones or tablets and i'm in fact going to go from my verizon note 2 to the sgs 4 in a couple months (screen 5.5" down to 5"). The little less real estate for the extra features/specs is worth it to me.

All i'm saying is if gaming is a primary consideration in phone/tablet purchasing for you as it is for me, AND given the choice between small screen and portability or large screen and less portability, i would choose large screen. But i guess it really does depend on your daily habits and there are places you can "whip out an ipod touch" that you can't do the same for a mini

i was tempted by the touch but i hate how they "force" you to the $300 price. they don't give an option to get a 16gb one for $200. So yes you get double the space but you HAVE to pay the same as if you were purchasing a mini.

But go ahead with the touch if you really desire it. I'm sure it's a sweet device!
andross77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:12 PM   #11
banapple
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andross77 View Post
See I went from 3" phones, to 3.5" (iphone 4s for 8 months, to 4", to 4.3", to 4.8", to 5.0", to 5.5" and you knows what's become more enjoyable EVERY time? You guessed it, gaming

I NEVER ONCE found myself saying, "if only I could game on a smaller screen!" Now of course there are tradeoffs to getting biggers phones or tablets and i'm in fact going to go from my verizon note 2 to the sgs 4 in a couple months (screen 5.5" down to 5"). The little less real estate for the extra features/specs is worth it to me.

All i'm saying is if gaming is a primary consideration in phone/tablet purchasing for you as it is for me, AND given the choice between small screen and portability or large screen and less portability, i would choose large screen. But i guess it really does depend on your daily habits and there are places you can "whip out an ipod touch" that you can't do the same for a mini

i was tempted by the touch but i hate how they "force" you to the $300 price. they don't give an option to get a 16gb one for $200. So yes you get double the space but you HAVE to pay the same as if you were purchasing a mini.

But go ahead with the touch if you really desire it. I'm sure it's a sweet device!

I agree with you, I'm sure i wont go wrong with either since both are great devices. It's just that when i get the ipod touch im sure there will be times that ill be saying "man this game would be much better on a bigger screen". And when i get the ipad mini though im sure there will be times that it would be a hassle to bring it when i go out and i'd say "man i wish i just gotten the touch". i'm indecisive like that lol. But all things considered, i guess ill go for the touch

The only thing that's keeping me from going full on android is the better library of games. Most great ios games get ported to the android though but im too impatient to wait haha. GN2 is such an awesome phone.
banapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:42 PM   #12
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I think the opposite. Note 2 will probably be very good for like emails, drawing, note taking, and movies because of its large screen.

I believe you want to play lots of game and Ipod touch has more than Ipad. Ipad mini uses Ipad apps so it is significantly lesser than apps for iphone/ipod. Plus, u already have like 5 inch+ device so fullsized ipad would make more sense but it isn't ideal for gaming. I use my fullsize more for clip/video and web browsing. Gaming is a lot more fun on Ipod touch and u can take it everywhere. The camera has flash. The screen is retina. Though, i am with you regarding the "way too expensive" price.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:05 PM   #13
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
sell your note 2 and get an ipad mini.
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harrisonburg, Va
Don't forget about the android humble bundles!
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #15
pretard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
I think the Iphone 5 is your best bet

I've got a Note 2 3G (work, that's what I told the Mrs) and an iPhone 5 (personal), and which one comes out of the pocket the most? The iPhone 5. Yes the form factor on the Note is nice and it's almost big enough to leave my Kindle at home, but at the end of the day, that's it.

The Note 2 has nice features, but it's not a transformative experience. Referencing Puentedura's SAMR framework, the pen and note and almost all of the base apps on the phone are substitutes of simpler technologies and they don't really offer a benefit, but a drain on my time, and as a result, productivity. Those features and apps are a gimmick. They could be great, but Samsung would rather develop seven similar phones and let you hope that the next one does what you want it do than work on establishing a transparent experience.

Not everyone, in fact, most people don't want a radically new take on the paperclip.

They do want an efficient experience that makes their lives easier, cognitively comfortable and at the same time innovative enough to expand their capacity to get things done.

The Note 2 has not changed the way I go about my day to day. The iPhone has.

Thank you for suffering my rantful buyer's remorse on the Note 2. I should have gotten the iPad mini knowing that I would want it to have crisper text, but that I would have enjoyed the experience more.
pretard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:14 AM   #16
andross77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by banapple View Post
I agree with you, I'm sure i wont go wrong with either since both are great devices. It's just that when i get the ipod touch im sure there will be times that ill be saying "man this game would be much better on a bigger screen". And when i get the ipad mini though im sure there will be times that it would be a hassle to bring it when i go out and i'd say "man i wish i just gotten the touch". i'm indecisive like that lol. But all things considered, i guess ill go for the touch

The only thing that's keeping me from going full on android is the better library of games. Most great ios games get ported to the android though but im too impatient to wait haha. GN2 is such an awesome phone.
yeah i read an article that said high profile games will still come out on iOS before android for some time even though android has a much bigger market share. Reasons were: less resolutions and hardware configurations to consider on iOS; iOS users buy more apps than android users.

But i have noticed a change in the past year with some games even coming out on android first. it just seems to overall still play "second fiddle" oh well
andross77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch 4th gen vs 5th gen? jread iPod touch 18 Jul 15, 2013 03:35 AM
Sell iPod touch 5th Genaration for Note II narutoninjakid iPod touch 8 Mar 9, 2013 11:07 AM
iPod touch 5G or iPad mini LTE? Ended up with another Note 2 instead. bembol Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 5 Dec 19, 2012 10:32 PM
New 5th-gen iPod touch or Rumored iPad mini? i'm.huMAC iPod touch 27 Oct 5, 2012 10:10 AM
iPod Touch 4th Gen Or 5th Gen? Goftrey iPod touch 8 Sep 22, 2012 10:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC