Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

najicta

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
First off here are my specs:
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

For years, I had had no problem converting video (usually from DVD and blu-ray rips to iPad/AppleTV format) using this computer. It would generally take less than 20minutes to convert a 2-3GB file using MacTheRipper. Now, all of a sudden it is taking an hour or more. I have tried using MacTheRipper (which I know is no longer being updated), Toast, and iTunes. iTunes seems to be the fastest but it still took close to an hour and a half to convert a 1.5GB .mp4 video into an iPad version (a downgrade, as the original was a blu-ray rip). I regularly repair my disk permissions. Should I invest in some defrag software or is this something deeper? Any other ideas for as to what could be causing the slow-ness? I've tried doing the conversions with all other programs closed and it doesn't change the processing speed.

Apparently this question violates the terms of the apple forums. Hope it doesn't violate any here...I didn't realize it was illegal to rip your own personal dvds/blurays and then put them on your own personal iPad. Ridiculous...

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I had the exact same computer. Did you know the hard drive was recalled on these for failing early? Did you participate in getting your hard drive replaced by apple? Thats most likely your issue...

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

it ended 4/13/13 so you missed it by 3 days...id contact apple and see if you can do it anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.