Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by AppleInsider, over the past month Apple has posted listings for eight jobs related primarily to hardware engineering in Orlando, Florida. The listings come as Apple is also hiring at its "Melbourne Design Center" that is apparently part of its acquisition of fingerprint sensor firm AuthenTec, but these new positions located roughly an hour away from Melbourne appear to be part of a separate initiative.

apple_orlando_jobs.jpg
A number of the advertised positions relate to graphics chips and drivers, and it is possible that Apple may be working with AMD, which has an R&D and design facility in Orlando, in some capacity. Alternatively, Apple could be drawing on expertise at Qualcomm, which also has facilities in the area. In one job listing for a summer internship, Apple refers to the location as its "Orlando Design Center".

It appears that Apple has had at least a minor presence in Orlando for some time, but the recent job listings suggest that the company is undertaking a significant expansion of its team there.

Article Link: Apple Hiring Chip Engineers for 'Orlando Design Center'

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
(First! Woo Hoo, was never 1st before...)

Orlando?

Maybe Apple is taking over Disney World! (After all, its gonna be about the content baby!)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder if Apple's in a serious situation where they're losing more engineers than they can hire considering the most recent rumors that Apple's having a problem retaining their staff.

Hiring engineers takes a lot of time to integrate them into Apple's culture, so the short term problem they would have is from the engineers that they lost.

That could explain why there's a lull at Apple right now but who knows with Apple.

iglobe

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
new gpu

No wonder if apple use their own graphics chip in 2013 mac systems or atleast by 2014 mac systems.Because they already started working on new graphics processor back in 2010 and filed about 200 patent deferred graphics patent .Near 30 veteran working on this project.
It would be great to see macroscalar processor and apples own graphics processor:D
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...een-light-for-a-new-graphics-processor.html:D

nicmr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Shift from Samsung

This is a move to be less dependent on Samsung chips. :)

Well done :apple:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't mind the idea of Apple becoming less dependent on Samsung. But I just hope their own produced chips are of the same quality. No one wants poor quality just to spite Samsung.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I don't mind the idea of Apple becoming less dependent on Samsung. But I just hope their own produced chips are of the same quality. No one wants poor quality just to spite Samsung.

Apple doesn't seem to be moving to produce their own chips, just design them.

The A6 is already a mostly Apple-designed chip.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Apple is a 10% stakeholder in ImgTec. If anything, they're leaching employees from surrounding facilities to do more custom implementations and shore up their graphics drivers.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Speaking of GPU, is it possible that Apple integrates PowerVR 6 (Rogue) in the 5S iphone / iPad 5, or later with 6 to widen even more the gap with the competition for the graphics part, including chipset like Adreno and Mali?

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Melbourne, FL was where the original Lockheed-Martin Real 3D chipset design team was.

That got sold to Intel, and I believe Intel used it for their i740 for a bit, before selling it off to 3dFX maybe?

Anyways there should be lots of 3d graphics engineers down there.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Bye bye dedicated graphics processors!! :(

No wonder if apple use their own graphics chip in 2013 mac systems or atleast by 2014 mac systems.Because they already started working on new graphics processor back in 2010 and filed about 200 patent deferred graphics patent .Near 30 veteran working on this project.
It would be great to see macroscalar processor and apples own graphics processor:D
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...een-light-for-a-new-graphics-processor.html:D

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Speaking of GPU, is it possible that Apple integrates PowerVR 6 (Rogue) in the 5S iphone / iPad 5, or later with 6 to widen even more the gap with the competition for the graphics part, including chipset like Adreno and Mali?

Possibly, but some of the competition has started to moved over to Imag Tec as well (most notably some of the Galaxy S4).

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Why not just buy AMD and design/make their own chips instead of using Intel and Samsung. Their market cap is only $1.7bn.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why not just buy AMD and design/make their own chips instead of using Intel and Samsung. Their market cap is only $1.7bn.

Because they don't have good experience with mobile designs, that is what ImgTec/ARM is best at and Apple already owns a part of them with plans to buy more of them down the line I imagine.

Also, AMD is a fabless company like Apple, they rely on others to build their chips.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Perhaps Apple is poaching Imagineers?

I, for one, would buy an animatronic Thomas Jefferson with a Siri brain.

You kid, but Apple and Disney are pretty close companies. Also dont forget that they now have the whole Pixar (formerly owned by Lucas, then Jobs) and Lucas Arts package, combined with some big upcoming Avatar and Star Wars projects in Orlando. No doubt that most of the design work for both of these will be Mac based. Maybe there's a tie in there somewhere. Cant think what it would be (other than hardware) but its possible :)

----------

AMD is up for sale?

Every company is up for sale if the right amount is offered ;)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I wonder if Apple's in a serious situation where they're losing more engineers than they can hire considering the most recent rumors that Apple's having a problem retaining their staff.

Hiring engineers takes a lot of time to integrate them into Apple's culture, so the short term problem they would have is from the engineers that they lost.

That could explain why there's a lull at Apple right now but who knows with Apple.

Nope. Say "Goodbye" to Samsung. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.