Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I have an unlocked iPhone 5, the non T-mobile version on T-Mobile. At this one building at school, I'm getting not 4G, not E. I'm getting an o. I'm pretty sure I used to have an E before in this building, but thats gone now. Strangely enough I walk outside I get 4G.

I know the o is even slower than E which sucks, as it is more or less unusable, thankfully there's wifi in the building. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this with T-mobile, and if anyone has any idea whats going on. Thanks!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Poor building penetration at your location. Either that or they are refarming the tower nearby that you are connecting to. Many users reported getting the O signal while their areas were being actively refarmed.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I'm guessing its a refarm, any idea on which band specifically uses the "o"? Is it the 1900Mhz band?

I've always wondered if they refarm, are they simply adding HSPA+ in conjunction with EDGE, or does it replace EDGE? If it is, why would it effect Edge service.

Other than that, it could very well be poor building penetration, as the building is built with concrete cinder blocks.

Of course my friends with official T-Mobile phones do get 4G service in this building, but thats a different story.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm guessing its a refarm, any idea on which band specifically uses the "o"? Is it the 1900Mhz band?

I've always wondered if they refarm, are they simply adding HSPA+ in conjunction with EDGE, or does it replace EDGE? If it is, why would it effect Edge service.

Other than that, it could very well be poor building penetration, as the building is built with concrete cinder blocks.

Of course my friends with official T-Mobile phones do get 4G service in this building, but thats a different story.

Guess all you want. In the end, it seems more like a signal penetration issue. GPRS operates on any frequency. If your friends do get signal, have you tried rebooting? Have you thought that maybe its a faulty phone?

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
It probably is a penetration issue, along with the fact that they may very well be refarming.

As much as I would like for it to be a faulty phone (so I can replace it with another unlocked that has the new AWS Band), I'm pretty sure its not. Around most of New York, I can pick up their refarmed 4G relatively well.

My friends get 4G since they have official T-Mobile phones that natively support their actual 4G band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.