Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
TonyBaloney
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Unlocking iPhone 4S for DOMESTIC use

Can someone tell me if they have had any luck getting their Sprint iPhone 4S unlocked by the carrier (not jail broke) for use on any other carrier in the US. I really don't understand why this wouldn't be possible as the phone has the same internal components (GSM & CDMA) as the AT&T and TMOBILE iPhone 4S. I was looking to take my iPhone to TMOBILE, Virgin Mobile, Cricket, or Straight Talk as they have some great deals.

Thank You

PS I would rather not jail break as I like having updates for the phone from apple and not be stuck waiting for each jail break nor have to worry about stability issues.
TonyBaloney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
CEmajr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Not possible without Rsim or some type of hack where you won't be able to update. Sprint does not allow it.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
All Sprint iphones cannot be officially unlocked for domestic US use.
When and if Sprint unlocks the device is for international use only.
Best bet is sell it and get one that works for your carrier of choice.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
TonyBaloney
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Ok but is this because of a software/hardware incompatibility that Im not aware of? Or does Sprint have the ability to unlock for domestic use and they are simply not choosing to help us with this?
TonyBaloney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
coolio93
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
Ok but is this because of a software/hardware incompatibility that Im not aware of? Or does Sprint have the ability to unlock for domestic use and they are simply not choosing to help us with this?
Sprint has the ability but they are too mean to do it. (seriously). Spec-wise the phone can work....its just the unlocking part that sprint doesnt allow for the USA.
__________________
64GB T-MOBILE iPhone 6 SILVER
Mid-2013 MBA Maxed out :-)
coolio93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
TonyBaloney
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio93 View Post
Sprint has the ability but they are too mean to do it. (seriously). Spec-wise the phone can work....its just the unlocking part that sprint doesnt allow for the USA.
Well then quite simply... WHAT THE HELL!? Why can't I do what I want with the hardware that I paid for when my subsidy contract is fulfilled?

Why is it that they do this with iPhones? My understanding is that, generally speaking, CDMA carriers have been willing to accept and flash CDMA (and if compatible, GSM) phones from other carriers before. Do they have the same policies with say the Galaxy Note II or Lumia phones, or feature phones?

Also lets say they did unlock the iPhone for domestic use. Is there something they have to do with the phone physically in store or have it sent away? Or is it something where all they would need to do was push software to it wirelessly? Point being, could I just get someone in the store to do it for me regardless of the company policy?

Thanks!
TonyBaloney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
CEmajr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
It's just simply isn't going to happen. The store employees have no control over this. The unlocking just submits a request to Apple servers to unlock the imei. Sprint and Verizon block their 4S from domestic gsm use in order to try and keep you trapped with them.

Plain and simple if you want to leave Sprint and use a 4S on AT&T or Tmobile then you'll have to sell your iPhone and buy an unlocked or AT&T version.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8
TonyBaloney
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
It's just simply isn't going to happen. The store employees have no control over this. The unlocking just submits a request to Apple servers to unlock the imei. Sprint and Verizon block their 4S from domestic gsm use in order to try and keep you trapped with them.

Plain and simple if you want to leave Sprint and use a 4S on AT&T or Tmobile then you'll have to sell your iPhone and buy an unlocked or AT&T version.
http://www.rimmkaufman.com/content/url.jpeg

I reject this stupid policy.
TonyBaloney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry for you
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:34 PM   #10
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
When Sprint got the iPhone many saw them as the "savior". This is not unlike what people are saying about TMobile today. At the end of the day, these companies protect their interests. Verizon unlocks because they are required by law. AT&T unlocks, once your contract is fulfilled, likely due to consumer pressure/response for Verizon unlocks. Really wish we could get some consumer protection laws going in this area here in the states, but that can be a double edged sword. There is nothing forcing carriers to do any sort of subsidy or payment plan, except for the fact that "everyone else is doing it". If a law rolls out that effectively outlaws locking devices, we will likely see the subsidies end. Personally, I wouldn't mind that, but I know plenty of people would be unhappy about that.
__________________
Endorse what you love instead of attacking what you hate.
lordofthereef is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:33 PM   #11
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
I reject this stupid policy.
Unfortunately, you accepted that policy when you bought the phone. Now that policy is in effect, and Sprint will not change it. Only way out is to sell the phone to someone else who doesn't mind the crippling, and buy an unlocked version.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:46 PM   #12
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
If a law rolls out that effectively outlaws locking devices, we will likely see the subsidies end. Personally, I wouldn't mind that, but I know plenty of people would be unhappy about that.
With payment plans similar to what T-Mobile has, I think people will be happier to go without contracts.

My main concern is that AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint DO make money off the fact that users' rate plans do not change once they are off contract. Subsidy or no subsidy, the carrier still charges you the same amount. So if they do offer no-contract, no-lock, "no-subsidy" options, it'll be interesting to see if rate plan pricing goes down to reflect the change in the revenue model.

I'm not holding my breath. The extra payments for a phone bought on credit will likely just be tacked-on to current pricing.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:23 PM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
With payment plans similar to what T-Mobile has, I think people will be happier to go without contracts.
Maybe, if we get that. Up until now we haven't seen anything TMobile has done put pressure on the other three, so I am less than hopeful.
__________________
Endorse what you love instead of attacking what you hate.
lordofthereef is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:59 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Maybe, if we get that. Up until now we haven't seen anything TMobile has done put pressure on the other three, so I am less than hopeful.
I believe it did put pressure to the big 2 carriers cause they're talking about it and thinking about similar programs.
And from what I hear many Verizon and AT&T customers are starting to switch over to Tmobile so they will have to notice it sooner or later.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:07 AM   #15
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I believe it did put pressure to the big 2 carriers cause they're talking about it and thinking about similar programs.
And from what I hear many Verizon and AT&T customers are starting to switch over to Tmobile so they will have to notice it sooner or later.
It's definitely possible. I don't put much credence into what a CEO of AT&T or Verizon says. These same guys claimed that they were getting rid of unlimited plans because they were too expensive and the majority of people didn't want them. All the while I can NOW either chose 300mb for $20 or 3GB for $30, the same price as the original unlimited plan. Where is the sense in that? They even threw around some 5% number nonsense for a while. All in the name of saving the customer money... unless you are using almost no data, you save nothing lol. They'll say what sounds good. It's their job. Will we see them roll out these plans? I won't say it's impossible, but improbable. At the end of the day (or week or month or year), numbers will tell. I'd be happy to see contracts and handset locks go the way of the dodo, but I also try to be somewhat realistic with my expectations. That way I don't get let down so hard, haha!
__________________
Endorse what you love instead of attacking what you hate.
lordofthereef is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:16 AM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
It's definitely possible. I don't put much credence into what a CEO of AT&T or Verizon says. These same guys claimed that they were getting rid of unlimited plans because they were too expensive and the majority of people didn't want them. All the while I can NOW either chose 300mb for $20 or 3GB for $30, the same price as the original unlimited plan. Where is the sense in that? They even threw around some 5% number nonsense for a while. All in the name of saving the customer money... unless you are using almost no data, you save nothing lol. They'll say what sounds good. It's their job. Will we see them roll out these plans? I won't say it's impossible, but improbable. At the end of the day (or week or month or year), numbers will tell. I'd be happy to see contracts and handset locks go the way of the dodo, but I also try to be somewhat realistic with my expectations. That way I don't get let down so hard, haha!
I hear you on that.
They're both liars and all they care about in the end is money and how to make more of it. Give the customer less choices and charge more and then make it sound like its a great deal lol
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #17
TonyBaloney
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Now I think we are touching on the bigger issue of contracts and their suckiness (its a word!). I understand contracts are in exchange for getting the phone cheaper - but one should be able to do with it as they wish when such contract is fulfilled.

Beyond that, contracts as a whole are ridiculous because of the pricing scheme.
Contracts look attractive to most people because you can get an iPhone 5 for 200 instead of 650 when one would probably being using their service for over a year anyway - so people say "sure why not." The problem is blatantly obvious you put a iphone next to an iPad - the cost to build are very similar yet an unlocked iphone costs more? This shows that buying unlocked comes at a "penalty" - as in its only priced that high to make contracts look more attractive at the 200 price. if contracts didnt exist, the could be reasonably priced at 300.

But most people don't realize this, they just look at the price tag. Kind of like those people on Black Friday that see a laptop for $149 - its a piece of junk but they don't investigate it, they just buy without question and deal with its crappiness later.

Im on contract now because its my parents contract but when it ends Im on my own and Im not about to have to have a bill forcefully put upon me for the next 24 months. Im going prepaid, and I was hoping to bring my iPhone with me. If not, I'll sell it, buy a used one that is compatible with the network Im interested in. I was looking to virgin and straight talk, and even Tmobile with its great first step in a new direction.

If all big three carriers eliminated contracts, phones would be cheaper (maybe not 200 cheaper but still reasonable compared to the 650 price) and plans would be more competitive.
TonyBaloney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:54 PM   #18
TonyBaloney
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Just saw this today relating to our discussion. A petition to verizon to end contracts. Already at 95,000:

http://www.change.org/contracts

Sign the petition. End contracts
TonyBaloney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:37 PM   #19
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
Just saw this today relating to our discussion. A petition to verizon to end contracts. Already at 95,000:

http://www.change.org/contracts

Sign the petition. End contracts
Just be cause they end contracts doesn't necessarily mean they will sell you an unlocked phone.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:13 PM   #20
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
Just be cause they end contracts doesn't necessarily mean they will sell you an unlocked phone.
Apple will.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:02 PM   #21
TonyBaloney
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
Just be cause they end contracts doesn't necessarily mean they will sell you an unlocked phone.
It's a step in the right direction
TonyBaloney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #22
hairydawg75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
Just saw this today relating to our discussion. A petition to verizon to end contracts. Already at 95,000:

http://www.change.org/contracts

Sign the petition. End contracts
Do people not realize that Verizon will be more than happy to end contracts, but they'll never lower their rates. What good is that?
hairydawg75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprint now unlocking iPhones for domestic use? HarrisonTaylor iPhone 15 Nov 18, 2014 08:49 PM
SCOTUS (9-0): No guns if convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence lannister80 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 65 Jun 26, 2014 09:00 AM
Shipping Domestic Based Apple Product Internationally? Squilly Community Discussion 30 Oct 13, 2013 09:05 PM
AT&T: Domestic roaming on a non-partner's network moonman239 iPhone 2 Jun 17, 2013 04:24 AM
Sprint 300Mb domestic roaming? So what about it DBZmusicboy01 iPhone 4 Sep 17, 2012 01:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC