Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
My son's school has had the kids create accounts at Discovery Education for learning at home on the web. Part of the site includes Windows Media videos imbedded in the website.

Safari doesn't have this capability on its own, so it directs you to this page:

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/en-US/play-wmv-in-safari.htm

Has anyone here had any experience with this plug-in? Is it safe? A security risk?

Thanks so much!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've used that on Macs in the past. I don't recall it ever being targeted for exploitation. It has a pretty good track record when it comes to security.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My son's school has had the kids create accounts at Discovery Education for learning at home on the web. Part of the site includes Windows Media videos imbedded in the website.

Safari doesn't have this capability on its own, so it directs you to this page:

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/en-US/play-wmv-in-safari.htm

Has anyone here had any experience with this plug-in? Is it safe? A security risk?

Thanks so much!
Yes, it's quite safe, well known and commonly used among Mac users.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks everyone! I know I must seem paranoid, but working around so many Windows PCs gets you thinking viruses are everywhere! LOL

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks everyone! I know I must seem paranoid, but working around so many Windows PCs gets you thinking viruses are everywhere! LOL
Welcome to the Mac world! If you encounter any unexpected or unwanted behavior on a Mac, malware is usually the last possibility to consider, not the first.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.