Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a
 
Grey Beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Antipodes.
Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Equality in New Zealand

New Zealand is a small nation in the South Pacific. It's population of four and a half million are multicultural.

In 1986, New Zealand passed the Homosexual Law Reform followed in 2005 with the Civil Union Bill.

Now in 2013, the people have legalised Same Sex Marriage and the Parliament tonight passed the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill. The Ayes were 77 and the Noes were 44 and New Zealand proudly becomes the 13th country in the world to sanction gay marriage.

If we can do this in our little piece of paradise, other countries should follow our lead. The time has come to overcome homophobia and bigotry and live together in a new age.

KGB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gay-marriage-1200.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	408211  
__________________
I am what I am.
Grey Beard is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:01 AM   #2
pknz
macrumors 68020
 
pknz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NZ
pknz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
Good stuff.
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:41 AM   #4
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
That's great to hear.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Andeavor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lake Zurich
The ironic thing is that I was told the Kiwis are about 50/60 years behind culturally. Well, in your face, person who told me.

You still all have a funny accent though. :P
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:17 AM   #6
rovex
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
You may as well add France to that list, even though it hasn't gone down well to say the least!
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:16 AM   #7
likemyorbs
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Yay go New Zealand! Our turn will come this summer.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
Now joined by France.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:33 AM   #9
wackymacky
macrumors 65816
 
wackymacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
How long do you think though to New Zealand has it's first Maori prime minister?
__________________
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me. " (S. Jobs)
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
How long do you think though to New Zealand has it's first Maori prime minister?
James Carroll acting Prime Minister twice 1909 and 1911.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C...and_politician)
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:37 AM   #11
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
James Carroll acting Prime Minister twice 1909 and 1911.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C...and_politician)
That was a hundred years ago. And he was also Irish.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
That was a hundred years ago. And he was also Irish.
His father was born in Australia although of Irish descent,his mother was Heni Materoa herself the granddaughter of two Maori chiefs.

I don't understand the bit about it being one hundred years ago.

After inserting what I imagine the original questioner meant, the word "until", I was just pointing out it had already happened.By the way the Prime Minister is elected by the party not in a general election.
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Happybunny
macrumors 65816
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands


New Zealand and France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
James Carroll acting Prime Minister twice 1909 and 1911.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C...and_politician)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
His father was born in Australia although of Irish descent,his mother was Heni Materoa herself the granddaughter of two Maori chiefs.

I don't understand the bit about it being one hundred years ago.

After inserting what I imagine the original questioner meant, the word "until", I was just pointing out it had already happened.By the way the Prime Minister is elected by the party not in a general election.
Double dam, I was going to post a reply similar, but you beat me to it.
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:20 AM   #14
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
His father was born in Australia although of Irish descent,his mother was Heni Materoa herself the granddaughter of two Maori chiefs.
So in other words, it's not like he was some off-the-street Maori guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
I don't understand the bit about it being one hundred years ago.
Because it was a hundred years ago? What about since then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
After inserting what I imagine the original questioner meant, the word "until", I was just pointing out it had already happened.
Well, not to infer what the questioner was intending, but it would seem there was an attempt to point out the lack of Maori PMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
By the way the Prime Minister is elected by the party not in a general election.
Obviously.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
If the idea is to say NZ could do better at equality for Maori and others then the answer is yes.If the question is have they done better with equality issues than most other western countries then the answer is yes,hands down in some cases.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:47 AM   #16
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
If the idea is to say NZ could do better at equality for Maori and others then the answer is yes.
I agree, and I think that was the intent of the original question. They do well, definitely, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
If the question is have they done better with equality issues than most other western countries then the answer is yes,hands down in some cases.
Nope, not making a comparison.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
If the Kiwis operated at all like the US congress, each round of floor debate would be initiated with a series of Hakas.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:40 PM   #18
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
If the Kiwis operated at all like the US congress, each round of floor debate would be initiated with a series of Hakas.
I'd be game for that. That would be cool, as long as the Spice Girls don't insult everyone like they did when they did it..

However, just thinking seeing Pelosi, Feinstein, and Bachmann doing the Haka makes me want to break out with a serious case of garbage gut.

EDIT: though I still am waiting for someone down there during any House or Senate debate to break out in the Harlem Shake.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:00 PM   #19
Grey Beard
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Grey Beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Antipodes.
Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
EDIT: though I still am waiting for someone down there during any House or Senate debate to break out in the Harlem Shake.
BL.
New Zealand has no senate, just a Westminster styled parliament, a house of representatives of 121 members. They presently operate under a Mixed Member Proportional representation (MMP)

And yes, NZ has been leaders in many fields of endeavour, though this thread was originally about NZ becoming the 13th country to enact gay marriage.

KGB
__________________
I am what I am.
Grey Beard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:06 PM   #20
wackymacky
macrumors 65816
 
wackymacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
James Carroll acting Prime Minister twice 1909 and 1911.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C...and_politician)
LOL. Good to see someone knows their history. Not so split hairs, he was only acting priminister and only for a coulple of short bursts.
__________________
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me. " (S. Jobs)
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:05 PM   #21
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Found this important message sliced on a sandwich
The worst fears of conservatives have come to fruition after New Zealand’s approval of gay marriage suddenly and unexpectedly resulted in polygamy, bestiality and interspecies marriage.

“We were warned about the slippery slope but just didn’t believe it,” lamented New Zealand’s President Peter Jackson. “If only we had listened to conservative Christians, my daughter would not now be married to two horses and a rooster. Truly the fabric of civilization is unraveling before our very eyes!”

Reports of nearly 500 human to fish weddings are flooding in, with the number expected to increase. Richard Dawkins went online with apologetic words as he reported that due to spawning methods, Fish-People would soon outnumber humans in the region by 30 to 1, taking our jobs, eventually learning to feast upon the flesh of man until our species is no more, and the Fish-People rule the Earth. Attempts to overturn the destructive gay marriage law have been unsuccessful as the law was sealed into place with a magic Maori love song. “We … told you,” said Pope Francis, “We gdf told you this would happen”.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:21 PM   #22
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Found this important message sliced on a sandwich
The worst fears of conservatives have come to fruition after New Zealand’s approval of gay marriage suddenly and unexpectedly resulted in polygamy, bestiality and interspecies marriage.

“We were warned about the slippery slope but just didn’t believe it,” lamented New Zealand’s President Peter Jackson. “If only we had listened to conservative Christians, my daughter would not now be married to two horses and a rooster. Truly the fabric of civilization is unraveling before our very eyes!”

Reports of nearly 500 human to fish weddings are flooding in, with the number expected to increase. Richard Dawkins went online with apologetic words as he reported that due to spawning methods, Fish-People would soon outnumber humans in the region by 30 to 1, taking our jobs, eventually learning to feast upon the flesh of man until our species is no more, and the Fish-People rule the Earth. Attempts to overturn the destructive gay marriage law have been unsuccessful as the law was sealed into place with a magic Maori love song. “We … told you,” said Pope Francis, “We gdf told you this would happen”.
Great message, and terrific knife control by whoever sliced it into your sandwich!!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:04 AM   #23
Grey Beard
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Grey Beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Antipodes.
Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Photos. photos or it didn't happen.

KGB
__________________
I am what I am.
Grey Beard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:35 AM   #24
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
Congrats New Zealand!!!

Maybe someday the USA will get there. Too bad we have a lot more stupid than a good chunk of the world :/
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC